Author Topic: What did you do to or for or with your Laverda today?  (Read 304290 times)

Offline Paul LeClair

• Administrator
  • the older I get, the faster a rider I used to be
I like it, apart from the gold levers.  Looks better without the stickers...

Hi Reggie

CRG Roll A Click levers, several years old, fitted to remote reservoir Brembo master cylinders both front brake and clutch. Work really well, quality pieces.    http://www.constructorsrg.com/levers/folding.html

if I ever go back to the stock original RGS wheels, I also have a set of the CRG levers in silver, presently on my 1200 which also presently wears the silver RGS wheels. Personal taste, the gold levers look a little out of place on the silver RGS unless you consider them together with the gold Astralites which arguably look a little out of place on the RGS as well.

the gold Astralites came to me in that anodized gold colour, I was just happy to fins a set of wider Astralite wheels, 3 inch front, 4 inch rear, I was looking to put a little more tire down on the local race track with the RGS. Unfortunately the race track has been closed, so maybe the gold Astralites and the gold levers will make their way eventually to the naked carbon fiber bodied 1200 which already has gold stripes, but that will require a new swingarm for the 1200 as the 4 inch wide rear Astralite and tire is too wide to fit in the 1200 swingarm..... Eventually the RGS will be back to silver wheels and silver levers, the 1200 will be bare carbon fiber with gold wheels and gold levers and gold stripes, all will be well with the world..... all I need is a swing arm to fit the 1200 that will accept the wider 4 inch wheel.

Anyone have any suggestions for a swingarm to fit the 1200 that will accept a wider wheel? I believe I read here somewhere that an RGS swingarm can be narrowed at the pivot to fit a 1200 frame, but I am still wondering what other options may be available?

Paul LeClair
Paul LeClair
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
79 1200 Mirage, 82 1200 Mirage, 84 RGS Executive, and various non Laverda's

Offline Paul LeClair

• Administrator
What did you do to or for or with your Laverda today?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 17:35 »
I thought the rear 3/4 shot was one of the better ones.
Not a big fan of these screw-on hand guards.

Hi Grant

yeah, the Executive fairing extenders kind of spoil the lines of the otherwise sleek RGS fairing, don't they? When the bike has gone to the track I have removed all sorts of bits including the fairing extenders, bike looks different/arguably better. But, it is an "Executive" from the factory, Wolfgang convinced me years ago to leave it stock cosmetically, leave it in the original chipped and dented and scratched paint rather than repaint, leave the rear fender extender, the hand guards, etc., etc. so mainly all I have messed with is mechanical in nature, and I have kept all the stock parts, it can go back to original brakes, original carbs, etc., etc., about the only thing that would be tougher to reverse would be to remove the Carrillo rods, but it could go back to the stock displacement, I kept the original pistons, original barrels, and even bought a brand new set of 1000 rings from Phil Todd years ago that are still in their original packaging intended for the original pistons.

Paul LeClair
Paul LeClair
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Reggie3cl

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 18:11 »
Anyone have any suggestions for a swingarm to fit the 1200 that will accept a wider wheel? I believe I read here somewhere that an RGS swingarm can be narrowed at the pivot to fit a 1200 frame, but I am still wondering what other options may be available?

Yeah, the gold stuff will look better on your 1200.  I have only seen one Exec in the flesh (Piet's) and I thought it looked good, although naturally not as sleek as the standard one, which of course looks best in metallic black.  Ahem.

RGS swinging arm is a pretty easy fit to the 180 frame- I did it on my old bike.  I had a bit machined off the pivot tube to match the width of the o/e 180 item and then found bearings to fit- they were a standard size, but I seem to remember fitting two in each side.  Maybe.  Then had the spacer narrowed.  Bish bosh, job done.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 18:15 by Reggie3cl »

Offline sfcpiet

• Administrator
  • NRW, Germany
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 18:37 »
Yeah, the gold stuff will look better on your 1200.  I have only seen one Exec in the flesh (Piet's) and I thought it looked good, although naturally not as sleek as the standard one, which of course looks best in metallic black.  Ahem.

Mine's a fake, Reggie.

Just a stock RGS with most of the Exec bits, wifey didn't like the handlebar extensions, so off they stayed...  ::) :-X  Otherwise, the bike just oozes style. ;D

Would prefer a silver one too, but as my bike was in such good condition paint-wise, I chose to keep it as it is, even though I loath red bikes with a passion!  >:D

piet
180s feel quick, 120s are...      If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics"  Georg Fitch 1916

Offline Paul LeClair

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 19:48 »
Hi Piet and all

I think the Corsa and Executive models are some of the rarest models produced by the Laverda factory as far as actual numbers built goes.

The "real" Executives are easily identifiable by several factory applied markings, you just have to know where to look. As one example, while I suppose it would be possible to reproduce some of the factory applied identifiers I am not aware of anyone yet reproducing things like the large clear specifications sticker that goes on top of the rear fender under the seat, just one of several factory identifiers that the bike left the factory as an Executive.

I still wonder how many "real" Executives actually left the factory?

There are lots of RGS to which some or most of the "Executive" add ons were added by dealers and owners, especially the fairing extenders and the saddlebags and sometimes the taller Executive/RGA bars and bar pads.

When I asked Piero back in 2005 at NALOC he didn't seem to really know, I have heard numbers variously from 25 to 200. At the time Piero did mention that he didn't have an Executive in his own collection and would like to acquire one.

the "real" Executives have several unique touches, right down to the big specifications sticker under the seat which identifies the bike as an Executive model, and I have yet to see an RGS with the longer added on rear fender extension and some other small touches.

I just shot two photos of the big specifications sticker attached on top of the plastic rear fender under the seat, see attached. Next time someone is advertising an "Executive" for sale and the debate starts about whether it is a "real" factory produced model, ask to see the sticker, among other things.....

Paul LeClair
Paul LeClair
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Offline SimonR501

• Lympne, Kent, UK
    • Simons Flickr site
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 20:16 »
I loath red bikes with a passion!  >:D

piet

Sob, sob, but, but mines red Piet!!!  :D :D

Fitted my 'touring' rear rack for the upcoming trip to Wales, checked the cam chain tension and all sorts of 'stuff' to hopefully ensure a smooth trip.
Laverda Jota 120 - 1982.
LG F1495BDA Direct Drive Washing Machine.
Black & Decker GLC3630L20 36v Cordless Telescopic Grass Trimmer.
SimonR501 Flickr Photos.http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonr501

Offline sfcpiet

• Administrator
  • NRW, Germany
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 20:24 »
Sob, sob, but, but mines red Piet!!!  :D :D

Yeah, Simon, so are millions others!  At least yours doesn't have a red frame as well, even worse than orange...

piet (bolt)
180s feel quick, 120s are...      If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics"  Georg Fitch 1916

Offline drikko

• Brisvegas
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 22:02 »
Scientific tests have proven that red bikes are faster.
Rgs1000 '83
Weestrom
Triumph Sprint ST1050
Cosi prefers crow eaters....
Breville Sandwich Maker

DISCLAIMER:- Anything I say may have been when I was sober so please don't take it personally.
'Bigamy is having one wife/husband too many. Monogamy is the same.' Oscar Wilde

Offline Paul Marx

• Les motos de Paul
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 10:39 »
You sometimes need to be humble. On the way to work, there's a set of lights at a roundabout. When they're red, I move along the 3 lanes of cars till the lights to get a holeshot. When the lights turn green, it's good fun. The roundabout is a couple of hundred meters across so accelerate away leaning hard left, then it's a long sweeping righthander off the roundabout over a bridge, it tightens up suddenly at the end before I take about 200 meters of motorway and then off that into the hospital area. I have to be careful over that bridge because quite often, traffic comes to a stop entering the motorway and the curve is blind. It's a question of smooth cornering, trying to go as fast as possible safely and keep off the brakes where the right hander tightens. If modern bikes are with me at the lights entering the roudabout, I stay aloof, knowing that they'll pull off into the distance in front of me but both bikes and riders are 40 years younger than myself and the SF2. I consider that they are lucky to see such a good looking bike and rider on thier way to work!.

This morning, I got the holeshot, smoothly left, then right and into the bit which tightens without touching the brakes. At that point, I felt a presence to my left. Imagining a modern bike, I accelerated hard on to the motorway to show him what a real bike was like. The alien machine kept with me as my twin roared and as I peel off towards my place of work, one of those large scooters glided past!

Really getting old!

Paul

Offline Ventodue

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 12:33 »
Taking advantage of the good weather - and the fact that most of the tourists have gone home - yesterday it was off for 400 kms around the Cévennes ...

(Still a bloody handsome beast, to my eyes anyways ...)

Ciao

Craig

Reggie3cl

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 13:13 »
Lovely part of France.  Camped in the Tarn Gorge once for several days.  Bloody hot.  All the way from Middlesbrough two up on a Honda RS250 single. :o

Offline Grant

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 13:31 »
Craig, tell me again about your panniers/rack.
I'm hopefully going to get the Corsa on the road next month (fingers crossed) and I want to fit a pair of panniers to it.
www.clublaverda.com
Check out the daily blog

lemonjelly

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 17:18 »
Grant

Dave Fisher has organised with some other ILOC members to persuade Hepco and Becker to do a final run of their rack for the RGS for around £260 plus Vat

Might be worth contacting them direct to see if you can piggy back onto it.  www.hepco-becker.de

Shaun

Reggie3cl

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 17:52 »
Meh,

This

plus this

is all you need unless two up or camping.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 17:54 by Reggie3cl »

lemonjelly

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 17:59 »
thats all I use Reggie on the Sprint,I"ve some soft panniers and a McKay rack for the TS suits it better.

Shaun