Author Topic: Brush lengths  (Read 3358 times)

Offline Smiddy

Re: Brush lengths
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2018, 18:49 »
Here is a link to the seller & item I used recently. Worked fine for me.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STARTER-MOTOR-BRUSH-SET-FOR-BOSCH-12V-7MM-X-10MM-X-18MM-REF-5610/111831304430?hash=item1a09aa48ee:g:hCQAAOSwwE5WUt4V

Hope this is of use

Graham

NE Scotland

Offline Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 00:25 »
Geez Brett, are you living in a time warp? We've been using the Metric system of measurements in Australia since 1970.

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 02:00 »
Geez Brett, are you living in a time warp? We've been using the Metric system of measurements in Australia since 1970.

??? I'll run a 1609.34Mt from this debate.  ;)
The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle there’s no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.

Offline Brett

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2018, 09:24 »
Nope and I was thinking of our European and American chappies.

Oh by the by it wasnt 1970 as when I went to tech was told we had the choice between the new fangled metric or the proven imperial which is way more easy to understand. Plus if you want metric gives you something to fathom  :o

Hmmm you know any youngun's into Pokemon ???? is it metric or imperial... and its from Japan.
Sitting on the fence 120 or 180 that is the question ?

Offline Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2018, 20:00 »
Oh by the by it wasnt 1970 as when I went to tech was told we had the choice between the new fangled metric or the proven imperial which is way more easy to understand.

You're right Brett, it was before 1970.
From the Australian Government's National Measurement Institute ...
"In 1947 Australia signed the Metre Convention making metric units legal for use in Australia, and in 1970 passed the Metric Conversion Act with the aim of making the metric system the sole system of legal measurements in Australia."

I'd dispute the claim that imperial is easier to understand. Fractions (of an inch) are less intuitive than decimals.

The Metric system was devised in Europe in around 1800 for ease of calculation. Everything being in multiples of ten. By the time Australia came on board with it, electronic calculators were becoming readily available so ease of calculation didn't matter so much.

Anyway, I'm off to fill the bike up with fuel. It should take a couple of kennings (= 1 bushel = 4 pecks = 8 gallons. But is that Imperial gallons or US gallons?). That should be enough for about 40 leagues.

Offline Vince

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2018, 23:27 »
Speaking of Scientific Calculators, I bought mine when I was 18 and started The Building Certificate at TAFE. The battery in it when flat yesterday after 42 years of fairly constant use. Pretty good value.

Offline martymoose

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2018, 23:32 »
Getting back to the topic, do Bosch brushes fit sjce.

Youse blokes need to wipe your chins, the bullshit is dribbling out

Cheers from sunny Sydney

Offline Shajota

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2018, 00:54 »
Getting back to the topic, do Bosch brushes fit sjce.

Youse blokes need to wipe your chins, the bullshit is dribbling out

It appears (trying to work out the diff measures used) that the Bosch brushes (ebay link) are a bit longer than what Brett has advised, but doubt if this would be a problem (as long as spring doesn't bind)?
Also, if you city blokes don't have any friendly auto leckies around anymore, might be worthwhile going to a nearby mobility scooter service place and see what brushes they have (need to find one that actually works on them). Some of them appear pretty close so you never know, may be a handy source.......................
PETER

Online Paul Marx

• Les motos de Paul
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2018, 06:07 »

The Metric system was devised in Europe in around 1800 for ease of calculation. Everything being in multiples of ten. By the time Australia came on board with it, electronic calculators were becoming readily available so ease of calculation didn't matter so much.

The metric system is a french invention and a produce of the Revolution. It was brought into use in 1795 after the definition of the meter.
It can be incorporated into the search for universal values from which stems the universal declaration of human rights.

The metric system is the base for the International System used all over the world except in the USA, Liberia and Myanmar.

Paul

Offline blab

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2018, 06:16 »
The French are great, they gave us democracy, the metric system and oral sex.
Serbian Hot Rod

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2018, 07:28 »

The thought of Gerard Deparchure (or whatever his name is) giving me a blow job does not appeal  (puke)
The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle there’s no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.

Offline Legs

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2018, 09:04 »
Time to indulge in a bit of self-assessment Chris, the rest of us were thinking 'soixante-neuf. ;D ;D
Yellow Peril RGS
Ducati Monster 695
Yamaha 175 Ag Bike

Offline MotoJouni

• Finland
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2018, 10:12 »
And standard configuration for modern rear wheel drive car. If I remember correctly this arrangement engine at the front, then clutch, gearbox, cardan shaft and then rear axle was invented by Panhard & Levassor at the very beginning of 20th century. All of my cars have this arrangement.

At least many imperial units are bound today to metric units using coefficients. There are accurate determinations to define units. These methods have changed over the years and most accurate ways are used. These most accurate methods are very expensive and mostly used on some very expensive laboratoriums.

Some units are derived from other units. For example Newton comes from kilogram, second and Earth's gravity.

Mostly there are devices that carry the unit with certain uncertainty and measuring instruments are manufactured and calibrated according to these.
SFC 1000 Classic 1989
LB 125 Custom 1986
Ducati Paso 750
And many other old vehicles

Offline blab

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2018, 10:42 »
Well suck me off with a yabbie pump. ( Aussie expression of surprise)
Serbian Hot Rod

Online Paul Marx

• Les motos de Paul
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2018, 17:18 »
And standard configuration for modern rear wheel drive car. If I remember correctly this arrangement engine at the front, then clutch, gearbox, cardan shaft and then rear axle was invented by Panhard & Levassor at the very beginning of 20th century. All of my cars have this arrangement.

At least many imperial units are bound today to metric units using coefficients. There are accurate determinations to define units. These methods have changed over the years and most accurate ways are used. These most accurate methods are very expensive and mostly used on some very expensive laboratoriums.

Some units are derived from other units. For example Newton comes from kilogram, second and Earth's gravity.

Mostly there are devices that carry the unit with certain uncertainty and measuring instruments are manufactured and calibrated according to these.

And the first monocoque front wheel drive production car, the Citroën " Traction ".

https://www.classicdriver.com/sites/default/files/cars_images/citroen_tractionavant_11bl_8.jpg

Paul