Author Topic: Getting old  (Read 107836 times)

Offline LJ

Re: Getting old
« Reply #540 on: February 09, 2018, 17:07 »
let's hope all our bikes soar in value, currently my 92 yr old mum is paying £1,150 per week for care .In what I would call a bedsit.
1986 RGA Jota Sprint 
1974 3C
1973 750GT              
1971  750SF 

I was born to make mistakes,not to fake perfection

Offline padlock

« Reply #541 on: February 09, 2018, 18:23 »
I always knew iíd Get old, just didnít expect it to happen so quickly.
However, im going back to climbing trees and actually working for a living rather than pointing at trees and someone else do the work. I packed it up on the basis that it hurt everyday, well apparently not doing any physical work hurts even more. I have more aches and pains now than i did when i still grafted for a living. Have also applied this theory to riding bikes, as i got older i rode less and less in the winter months but this year Iíve made a concerted effort to get out regardless of the weather and its certainly rekindled a bit more love for riding even if its raining.

FFFANARCHY
If your going through hell, keep going.

Offline helicopterjim

« Reply #542 on: February 09, 2018, 18:29 »
I always knew iíd Get old, just didnít expect it to happen so quickly.
However, im going back to climbing trees and actually working for a living rather than pointing at trees and someone else do the work. I packed it up on the basis that it hurt everyday, well apparently not doing any physical work hurts even more. I have more aches and pains now than i did when i still grafted for a living. Have also applied this theory to riding bikes, as i got older i rode less and less in the winter months but this year Iíve made a concerted effort to get out regardless of the weather and its certainly rekindled a bit more love for riding even if its raining.

FFFANARCHY

Mick Hart says similar about racing ....... he doesn't hurt on the track but in the winter months when there is no racing he nas many more aches and pains.

I think I'll go ride my Guzzi today .... even if it is only +2 degrees. The rain has finally stopped ..... 3 weeks straight is enough.
74 SFC
72 SF
75 3C
79 (81) Formula Mirage 1200
Various Ducati's, Guzzi's, Puch's ... a BSA Sloper and maybe even an R90
I don't have a 1977 Honda XL 175

Chilliwack, British Columbia

Offline treoleileagh

« Reply #543 on: February 13, 2018, 11:50 »
God, I dont mind getting old at all. For the first time in my life I can be completely self indulgent. Mostly people smile about the old fart who's out in the shed tinkering on mechanical devices you actually have to ride yourself. They leave me alone now, disregard me in their plans. Once they just wanted MORE from me. If I rejoined the race I know that'd start all over again so i'm happy even to be poor now too. No fear, i don't want to back up, be young and stupid again, especially not in this girlish nanny state that's watching us like a beagle. Concerning "the alternative", I no longer think it's worse. I think about that a lot these days. Spend hours (when i'm not in the shed) reading books and watching youtubes about current researches into life after death. It's like moon science, in the 1960s, a new frontier. Some Universities like Virginia and Arizona have important projects going on trying to figure out what it is that carries on, Pim van Lommel and his Dutch cardiologists are speaking about how they see the evidence everyday that death is only physiological, doesn't impact on consciousness at all, and there are many others with lots of scientific cred who're right into it. It's fascinating thing to be approaching, and I'm kind of curious and looking forward to it. I'm just lucky that I've got all these old motorbikes to frig around with while I wait!

Offline Davo

• West of the Rabbit Proof Fence
« Reply #544 on: February 13, 2018, 11:57 »
Yep, and there are still people who believe the earth is flat. Each to their own as long as they aren't trying to kill people over it.
1976 3CL Redaxed
Triumph Sprint
Moto Guzzi Le Mans III 850 Stucchi
Honda V Twin Fastrak hustler

Offline SimonR501

• Lympne, Kent, UK
    • Simons Flickr site
« Reply #545 on: February 13, 2018, 13:23 »
While we are trying to figure life and the universe, can somebody explain at what point do confectionery manufacturers realise they cannot shrink chocolate any further before they disappear?

Laverda Jota 120 - 1982.
LG F1495BDA Direct Drive Washing Machine.
Black & Decker GLC3630L20 36v Cordless Telescopic Grass Trimmer.
SimonR501 Flickr Photos.http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonr501

Offline GregT

« Reply #546 on: February 13, 2018, 17:57 »
While we are trying to figure life and the universe, can somebody explain at what point do confectionery manufacturers realise they cannot shrink chocolate any further before they disappear?

That is indeed one of the great conundrums of life. Akin to the big question - is there chocolate after death ?

Got told yesterday I'm in for a cardiac bypass in 6 - 8 weeks. Oh joy...It was pointed out very clearly that it's not a life extending procedure - just to improve the quality of life. I then asked of course why it hadn't been done 20 years back when my quality of life would have been improved even more....No answer.

Better get my arse into gear and finish a couple of engines in the workshop before I have to shut down for most of the winter.

Offline Paul Marx

• Les motos de Paul
« Reply #547 on: February 13, 2018, 22:09 »
The Booboo bird feeds on chillies and flies backwards in ever decreasing circles to keep its arse cool until it disappears up its own orifice.

Paul
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 15:53 by Paul Marx »

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
« Reply #548 on: February 13, 2018, 22:22 »
Yep, and there are still people who believe the earth is flat.

I was on a plane overseas, the flight tracking on the screen in front of me showed the earth as a flat mass, I pointed it out to my boss, who, like me, had drunk a shit load of wine, and he blurted out: "Of coarse it looks flat, it's on a flat screen monitor" I know it's not a good idea to call your boss a fucking dick, but we have a pretty up front relationship (unlike some of my arse licking counterparts, who bow and scrape to him, then turn normal again when he isn't around)

We ended up having a pissy and laughter filled conversation about just where heaven is. Eg: With your head buried between a beautiful womans legs ............ then getting serious: If you die in Italy, is it above Italy, and if you die in New Zealand, is it above New Zealand, as we are always told that when we die we ascend to heaven.

The reserved bloke across the aisle from me was clearly listening in, and he added in a very strong Italian acsent, something like: Using your theory, and as you are clearly Australians (being 'down under' I presumed) we were probably going to hell.

When the plane landed, said gent across the aisle, put his dog collar on, looked over at us and grinned like a Cheshire cat. :o   

The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle thereís no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.

Offline AndyW

• Adelaide
« Reply #549 on: February 13, 2018, 22:51 »
More pertinently, where do hipsters go when they die? I know someone who is going to be mightily pissed off if he finds heaven to be full of hipsters when he gets there... :o :o
'71 TR6 Tiger, '73 X-75, '73 3C, '74 3C, '75 SF2, '75 850T3 Cal, '75 T160V, '78 Mirage, Ď78 SSD Darmah '80 SD Darmah, '82 TR7/T, '83 Tenere, '85 R80g/s, 2017 MV F3 (Ago edition)

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
« Reply #550 on: February 13, 2018, 23:00 »
More pertinently, where do hipsters go when they die? I know someone who is going to be mightily pissed off if he finds heaven to be full of hipsters when he gets there... :o :o

If he is lucky they'll all be hanging around in purgatory.  ;D
The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle thereís no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.

Offline Legs

« Reply #551 on: February 14, 2018, 00:15 »
They'll all be in hell or purgatory. After all, they weren't all hung for being fine upstanding members of society.

Online Gerald

« Reply #552 on: February 14, 2018, 09:09 »
Scary thought to bump into all the deceased anti-social, miserable a-holes that I met during my life :o
__o
_- \_<,
(*) /' (*)

Online motoddrob

« Reply #553 on: February 14, 2018, 12:48 »
I kind of like the Buddist phlosophy of being reborn...........
Think Terry would look quite handsome with a beard :laugh:
Motodd 1200, SFC750

Offline Legs

« Reply #554 on: February 14, 2018, 21:03 »
Had a beard once, didn't like it so I threw it away ;). (all hipsters...)