Author Topic: Getting old  (Read 107843 times)

Offline Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
Getting old
« on: February 16, 2013, 05:23 »
Fuck me, I think I'm going senile.

I've had a lot of pain in my left hip lately. I think it's a problem with one of the cluneal nerves rather than any musculo-skeletal issues like arthritis. One of these days I'll ask a doctor. But that will be a last resort as I have little respect for the medical profession.

Anyway, on a pain scale of 1 to 10 it's been about a constant 5 for nearly a week now and is beginning to try my patience, so I thought I'd take an analgesic. I don't generally like taking drugs, but this pain was starting to annoy me. So I grabbed a couple of aspro clear and dropped them in a glass of water. While I was waiting for them to dissolve, I poured myself a glass of mead (there's a local bloke who brews really nice mead). Then I sat down on the couch and vegetated in front of the TV for a while waiting for the drugs (aspirin and alcohol) to take effect. After about half an hour I started to feel better. I went into the kitchen to get another glass of mead, and there was the glass with the aspro clear still in it. I hadn't taken the bloody stuff!

The placebo effect is alive and well! I tossed the aspro down the sink and had another glass of plonk.

So if you have an ache or pain, forget the drugs. Just pour yourself a good slosh of your favourite booze, raise your glass, and as the Italians say "cin cin"

Cam

Offline Davo

• West of the Rabbit Proof Fence
Re: Getting old
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 05:47 »

But that will be a last resort as I have little respect for the medical profession.

Cam

Get fucked. We don't respect you either  :laugh:
1976 3CL Redaxed
Triumph Sprint
Moto Guzzi Le Mans III 850 Stucchi
Honda V Twin Fastrak hustler

Offline Vince

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 06:23 »
Found the same thing with Sleeping Pills.I got a script for some off the cwack a few years back.I tend to lay awake thinking about the next days shit when jobs go bad.These things are pretty mild,if I am awake till 2 or 3 and split one in half and take it.There is on way in hell for it to work that fast but I am usually asleep before I know it.The mind is a very powerful thing that I wish I had more control over.Thinking something and doing it are 2 completely differant things.

Offline Dellortoman

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 06:50 »
Hey Davo

Apologies if I've offended you, but I've had some bitter experiences. I'm just saying it as I see it.

I know you're a quack, but I dunno what sort (GP, surgeon, psych?). I accept that the majority of doctors are good intentioned and do the best they can for patients. But in my own experience, the ones I've had dealings with seem to practice beyond their abilities.

Cheers,
Cam

Offline Davo

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 06:53 »
Hey Davo

Apologies if I've offended you, but I've had some bitter experiences. I'm just saying it as I see it.

I know you're a quack, but I dunno what sort (GP, surgeon, psych?). I accept that the majority of doctors are good intentioned and do the best they can for patients. But in my own experience, the ones I've had dealings with seem to practice beyond their abilities.

Cheers,
Cam

Hey I'm not offended. Google is your best medical friend and usually has excellent peer review of all published "facts" and treatments. And anyone who attempts anything beyond their abilities, unless it is under supervision, deserves contempt and derision (and in medicine - derigistration) .  :-*
1976 3CL Redaxed
Triumph Sprint

Offline DoC!

• Bring 'em back! Lytham St. Annes Lancashire UK
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 07:06 »
Funnily enough (or not), getting old is linked with having to endure some or many forms of physical pain. Any quack worth his salt will tell you that getting old isn't a joke.
I find wine helps in the evenings, but during the day I just have to put up with the aches and pains because when I am home I'm usually doing some form of driving in the daylight hours. I can't take the risk of losing my license at this late stage...... :o

Cheers

DoC!  
2x Red Laverda Jota 120 1982, Red RGS 120 1984, Black (and gold) Corsa 120 1984, Blue Series 2 572cc Atlas. Wee Red 124cc Uno. Another 124cc Uno in boxes.
Black Honda Blackbird 1100.

BEER: Helping ugly people like Cosi have sex since 1892! :)

Offline Dellortoman

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 07:17 »
Sorry for being a bit scathing of doctors in general. Like any professional, there are good and bad practitioners.

Forgetting the (several) negative bones of contention I have with some in the medical profession, and to acknowledge the positives: My life has been saved by doctors on at least one occasion. For that I'm greateful.

Cheers,
Cam

Offline drikko

• Brisvegas
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 07:28 »
There's a great doctor up here you can have, name is Jayant Patel I think. We'll send him down, he'll sort you, just make sure he doesn't cut off the wrong leg...

Rgs1000 '83
Triumph Sprint ST1050
Cosi prefers crow eaters....
Breville Sandwich Maker

DISCLAIMER:- Anything I say may have been when I was sober so please don't take it personally.
'Bigamy is having one wife/husband too many. Monogamy is the same.' Oscar Wilde

Offline Grant

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 08:10 »
Cam, from time to time I have similar pain near my right hip, but it was found to come from my lower back. Possibly a trapped nerve or other issues with vertebra/disc trauma I suffered as a sprog.
Ironically it's quickly brought on when I ride a 180 with rearsets, which is why all mine have standard pegs.
Must be a certain curvature of the spine, or summat.
But then, I'm no doctor...  ::)
www.clublaverda.com
Check out the daily blog

Offline Laverda Bomber

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 08:22 »
Ive been patched up by some very clever people.
My current GP i think is brilliant.
I have come accross a couple of duds.
I just went elsewhere.
Ive got rheumatoid arthritis Cam. No fun until i got it diagnosed and under control.
The longer it goes un-treated the harder it is to get under control so i would go and find out whats going on.
You dont want it getting worse!!
Whatever it is!
Laverda Bomber
Tasmania Aust (Not Transylvania or Tanzania)
1980 Moto Martin 1000 Laverda Triple
2004 Ducati SS800 Track Bike "Cicciolina"
1977 VW Kombi Campmobile

Offline Davo

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 08:36 »
People tell me they hate getting old. I tell them it is far better than the alternative.  ;D
1976 3CL Redaxed
Triumph Sprint

Reggie3cl

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 09:44 »
There's a great doctor up here you can have, name is Jayant Patel I think. We'll send him down, he'll sort you, just make sure he doesn't cut off the wrong leg...

Ah, what my doctor (anesthetist) friend calls a TWA- third world assassin. :o

Offline Cosi

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 10:14 »
I dont really like doctorers either, but they come in handy when you are busted up

i seem to recall that you have a favoured female practitioner, maybe she might be able to check a few things out...
Hastings Point 2489 Australia

Offline henry

• bottom left hand corner of germany
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 11:57 »
People tell me they hate getting old. I tell them it is far better than the alternative.  ;D

the problem with getting old is, it's inevitable and it's irreversible (unless you snuff it as davo has so succinctly pointed out). it's how you do it that counts rather than how long you do it for. having real interests and hobbies that challenge the mind - like laverdas - will only help. sitting in front of the tv will kill you quick! i say - have a goal for what you want to do and how long you want to do it for. after that it's time to move on!

Offline breganzane

• SE Australia
    • Breganzane
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 12:40 »
I know a few people who would have loved the chance to get aches and pains beyond their 40's.  Every day above ground is a good day...
As for doctors, shop around - there's good and bad out there.  I've got a fab GP now, since I moved house he's a 45 minute drive away but still worth it.
Various 120, 180 and 360 Laverdas - and a single.