Author Topic: 630 to 530 conversion  (Read 18259 times)

bob

Re: 630 to 530 conversion
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2011, 12:58 »
Hi Ian, Front sprockets are a bit of a problem at the moment. I've found AFAM replacements with the correct spline size [I think they're XT500 yam] but they always seem to have the wrong drillings or offset. Drilling new mounting holes in a hardened sprocket can quickly sap your will to live. Tom [Eatman] was looking into getting some made, basically you need a 14 and a 15 ,plus maybe a 13 and you'll have most options covered.

Regarding the last outing it was covered here http://laverdaforum.com/forum/index.php/topic,81976.0.html
I've also done my regular piece for Classic Bike which will be out in 2 days time. I save the best pics for the magazine and I'm hoping they use one I had showing all three Laverda 500s pitching into a bend in line astern [with my bike at the front ;D], not often you'll see three Laverda 500s dukeing it out on a on a race track nowadays.

My bike's in bits now getting prepped for Spa. I need to give Team Rufus a lesson in physics and demonstrate how 70bhp+149KG+small frontal area can go faster than a bulbous 200kg lump ;D ;D ;D

Offline andychain

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2011, 13:26 »
Bob I have had no complaints regarding the sprockets from B&C Express and as far as I know they are stock.

Refs are in previuos posting.

Andy

bob

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2011, 14:31 »
Andy,
The sprockets on the 500 are a smaller shaft size than the triples and as far as know B&C don't carry them. I'll contact them just in case because yoiu never know....
Thnaks, Bob

Offline andychain

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2011, 15:22 »
If there is a problem contact Simon at Nametab Eng, he has had race front sprockets for a Harris spark eroded for me. Not a lot of money and the finnish is great. He will also retooth your old sprocket which is an easy way to change gearing at the same time.

Andy

Offline redfox

• 120 again and again and again
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2011, 22:12 »
Hi all,
Just want to add my experience with going from o-ring 630, steel gearings, to DID 530 ZM x-ring (108 liks) and 530 steel front gearing and aluminium 530 rear gearing.

Weight saving is 512 gr on the chain, going from 2812 gr to 2300 gr,
front sprocket saves 47 gr, goin g from 435 gr to 388 gr,
and rear ditto saves 734 gr. (pbr), going from 1075 gr. to 365 gr.

apart from a good weight saving, it is clear, that the set runs much more smooth, and easy with less "crunching" when the chain spins around, lube being the same (Castrol chain wax, sparingly used), and a lot less pull and tear from the rear chain rotating, when driving. Simply lift it on centrestand and rotate before and aft, and see for yourself.
Very satisfied on this, running still, only adjusted chain once in the beginning, not since. Gives a little bit more space to rear tyre too, as well as less chance of crunching some aluminium around the front sprocket (seen on a few Laverda's).
Very good mod and highly recommended.

Will considder Andy's 530 Iwis non o-ring next time for more power and even smoother running.

Cheers,
jacques.

Offline LaverdaIan

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2011, 06:39 »
Bob, thanks mate, obviously this is an issue. What does Piero do..?
If we are to continue to dominate Classic 500-600 Racing, we will need to come up with a solution..
Sprocket guy here in Qld. does make to order..(rears)... I might just call him and see if he's up for it..
Stay in touch on this important issue..
Ciao
Ian

Offline Vince

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2011, 06:53 »
Ian, I hear The Chain Gang is back doing sprokets

Offline andychain

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2011, 08:08 »
Rear sprockets are not a problem as alloy blanks are available in just about any number of teeth from a few companies and not expensive. For road bikes the puppies to ask your local bearing people for are 10B-1 platewheels or in the USA 50-1 platewheels which will be in steel.

Both will come as a disc with a pilot bore hole. It is the machining that costs not the platewheel. In the UK both Talon, who I use, and Renthal, will supply the blank or will machine to pattern.

Front sprockets are a little more complex but just ask for sprockets which come with a boss one side. If you have a dished sprocket or one that has a boss both sides, then ask for a duplex or even triplex sprockets to give enough meat for machining. I have had very good work done by spark erosion where they take a standard as above and erode it to pattern. Another method is to just replace the teethform.

I use Simon Bateman at Nametab but Sprockets Unlimited also offer the same service. As a rule I ask people to go direct as although I get a discount by the time postage   has taken its toll what was a reasonable cost turns into an expensive one.

Andy

Offline andychain

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2011, 08:12 »
Forgat to add that Simon Bateman is 20 yards from Redditch shotblasting so kill 2 birds etc etc etc

bob

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2011, 09:55 »
Thanks Andy, I'll look Simon up and give him a shout.

Offline redax5

• Administrator
  • All 81's, a fine year indeed
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2011, 10:39 »
Chain Gang will not do front sprockets
they buy their rears in as blanks and just machine the bores and drill patterns to suit as explained below by Andy
making front sprockets is a totally different deal

Bob, would be good if you had a run of 500 fronts made by Nametab Eng and sold them via your website.
I'd stump up for a few as well as Ian

Redax Drilling Consultants, confirmed Laverda tragic's
near Brisbane, Australia

Offline andychain

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2011, 11:04 »
I am at Nametab usually once a week, if anybody would like to send me a front sample I will gladly give it to him.

Just in case you thought I did this out of the kindness of my heart, Simon buys all his sprockets and blanks from me. He has done some very work for me including dished items.

Andy

Offline KERMIT1200

• Worcester,UK
    • CYDERSTORE
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2011, 14:54 »
Hi Ian,
  In the distant past (early 1980's) the 14T front sprocket was I believe a standard Laverda part.My memory seems to be telling me it was standard fitment to the 350.Try contacting Wolfgang and ask him whether he's got any std 14T & 15T in stock.
 I personally don't think you'll need a 13T,and anyway because of the smaller radius it will give the chain a much harder life.Anyway Monty's being Monty's its best to gear them to over rev slightly(espically for short circuit racing),lts more like riding a 2 stroke.

Glad to hear things are going well,all the best for the future.
6000 rpm and above ;D
Andy

Offline andychain

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2011, 16:45 »
Kermit

You refer to polyginal, worst thing that can happen to a chain. For zero polyginal number of theeth should be 19, although you can get away with 16+.

Just come back from the pub so going for a sleep.

Andy

Offline LaverdaIan

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2011, 07:20 »
Thanks Andy for good words.. we persist. Wolfgang is first port of call, and I snaffued the only 14T 520 he had, which I then got Red to ruin a few bits on drilling locating holes, and my friend Bruce (local engineer) same ruination tapping threads... so result for now, but spares is what I chase..
You're right Red, no go Chain Gang or John Titman.. I asked,.. so we're all with Bob.. go mate go.. :D

Thanks all
Ian