Author Topic: wanted: pair of 3CL brembo calipers and m/c '76 3CL  (Read 2770 times)

Offline Laverdaton

• Laverda LH4
wanted: pair of 3CL brembo calipers and m/c '76 3CL
« on: November 10, 2010, 18:07 »
Hi, I'm looking for a pair of front calipers and a master cylinder for a 76 3CL

Offline Grant

Re: wanted: pair of 3CL brembo calipers and m/c '76 3CL
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 18:11 »
Does it have Ceriani forks? I would assume so but maybe they could have been changed at some point.
Calipers to fit Ceriani forks are very rare and pricey, whereas calipers to fit Marzocchis are easier to find.
Check out my FB page, clublaverda.com

Offline mcnicol

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 19:15 »
If it's a 76 with original Cerianin forks you will need Brembo F08 threaded calipers. You can't get new original twin-bleed calipers any more, but you can get new single bleeder F08s from lots of sources, just shop for price. But you have other alternatives too.
Because the F08 was used so widely on Italian bikes in the 70s (as well as Laverdas, Ducatis, Guzzis, BMWs, Morinis, and even rarer things like Heskeths all used them), there's LOTS on eBay at any given time. They're sometimes hard to find because people use odd descriptions, just make sure you're getting 2 the same (larger F09s are good too, a pair would be nice but they are somewhat rarer and not original). They can be rebuilt easily and fairly cheaply, the biggest problem is seized and/or broken bleed screws, which can usually be removed by any competent engineer.
You can also used unthreaded P08s made for Marzocchi forks, these are likely to be a little newer and less likely to be corroded up solid. You can either TimeSert the holes or just use longer bolts with nuts. There's a number of people here doing both solutions.

As for original master cylinders, just keep looking on eBay, they do come up, same reason as the availability of brake parts. All black cast originals are harder to find but can usually be rebuilt easily (although not especially cheaply). Translucent reservoir replacements are still available new, probably the most common solution to the problem. Many of us are using square or remote reservoir master cylinders. If you do this be sure to get the right size. Laverda front master cylinders were almost all 15 mm diameter. Several newer Brembo designs are also available (although low-volume 15mm ones are quite hard to find used, everyone uses bigger calioers today).

Ken
1978 Jota. New Redax crank, Ross 1200 pistons.

Offline Gerald

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 19:32 »
Ken,

which 70's Morini used Brembos? all I've ever seen on a 3 1/2 and 500 are Grimecas.

Gerald
__o
_- \_<,
(*) /' (*)

Offline mcnicol

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 19:50 »
Gerald

Yep, you're right, now that you mention it I can't think of a Morini with Brembos. But they would have used them if they couldn't get Grimecas.. :D

Ken

Offline swesty

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 14:13 »
I got fed up with waiting for an original to turn up, and I didn't like the look of the square modern ones so have opted for one of these.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180561950787

Works a treat, I've also fitted 4 piston calipers (brembo) from an oilhead BMW, needed to have a 5mm spacer between caliper and fork leg.

Offline mcnicol

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 15:19 »
I tried a set of those same calipers from a BMW, but with the original 15mm master cylinder there was a LOT of travel in the lever. Your 16mm Grimeca should be a lot better in this respect, plus if you ever upgrade to 4 piston Brembos it'll work straight off.

I do suggest you use 2 Teflon hoses running straight to the calipers instead of going through the 3 way splitter. It doesn't improve the brake feel any better, but it does make bleeding a lot easier, air does get trapped in the splitter (although it does tend to bubble up and bleed itself slowly after a few days). But if you want to be sure it's done right when you're installing calipers or master cylinder or hoses, no splitter is the way to go.

Doing it this way with the GriMeCa master cylinder will need a double banjo brake light switch too, a bit hard to find (and a bit ugly) but it's your bike, right?

Ken