Author Topic: Mirrors  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
Re: Mirrors
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2020, 02:49 »
I have the cheap Chinese version of the CRG mirrors. They work well enough but quality is as you'd expect for a $20 product. I busted one of the aluminium parts just by tightening the clamping screws enough to stop it vibrating out of position. I ended up buying a second set just for spare parts.  ::)

Cheap Chinese mirrors on ebay
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 02:52 by Dellortoman »

Online Vince

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2020, 02:57 »
Someone has to build a quality one for them to copy.I once bought a cheap Chinese saber saw, it lasted as expected. Failer point as shit metallurgy. Its blade holding system  snapped like a carot.Bought a Metarbo once next, still going 15 years later.

Offline motoddrob

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2020, 04:00 »
Well Vince you get what you pay for. I've decided to boycott china as much as I can but it's near impossible. China needs to be put in it's place. Becoming the bully of the world.
Motodd 1200, SFC750

Online Vince

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2020, 04:11 »
100% Rob.They went from reasonably amicable to aggressively belligerent and dictatorial in the last 10 years. There belt and road policy of aid has real bite in its tail. There appears to be zero wiggle room and I hope to hell it doest end up going where it appears to be Major Conflict where no one wins

Offline Paul Marx

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2020, 07:35 »
Yamaha copied DKW. Look to where that led them.
( so did BSA and look where that led them )

Often "made in " means assembled in, but made elsewhere.

Paul

Offline CLEMTOG

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2020, 11:34 »
don't you mean Suzuki copied MZ?
and the BSA/DKW relationship was not a copy but a war trophy.
sometimes (different in different territories) "made in"  could mean that they only had to put it in the box.
Benellis made in rice pudd land but (of course) sent to Italy for quality control!
and Triumph have three factories in Thailand, do they state "made in England"? I am stopping here...............
CLEM
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 11:36 by CLEMTOG »

Offline lawrence

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2020, 18:01 »
I happen to have some recent - and very positive - experience here.  I put some new mirrors on my Mirage recently.  Initially I bought some cheapies and, as you might well expect, they were worthless.  And yes, they were Chinese.  I bought another, different set.  They are the finest mirrors I have ever owned. Deep chrome plating, excellent glass mirrors.  Not only great quality in the product, but the service was simply unbelievable.  They were dispatched via a private sector mail company at no cost to me.  They arrived in 2-3 days from Asia!   :)
The seller was KiWav and it is in Taiwan.  I'll let you decide if that is China or not -- for now.  I expect that, if current trends hold, there will soon be no question about Taiwan's status.   ::)
Idaho, USA

Offline 3CBRG

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2020, 01:32 »
I discovered the bar end mirror I spoke of is Napoleon. Sort of period style too. Still available.
Ric

Offline helicopterjim

• No shit, there I was - and the crack was 90!
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2020, 05:38 »
I bought another, different set.  They are the finest mirrors I have ever owned. Deep chrome plating, excellent glass mirrors.  Not only great quality in the product, but the service was simply unbelievable.  They were dispatched via a private sector mail company at no cost to me.  They arrived in 2-3 days from Asia!   :)
The seller was KiWav and it is in Taiwan.

I have to agree. I have bought 5 sets now. Put them on two Guzzi's, a Ducati and both 3C's. I really like the quality and the simple styling. Unfortunately the price has skyrocketed. When I bought them they were $49 a set. They are triple that price now. I bought them in both chrome and a satin black. Very solid and well made.

Jim

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mirrors-ellipse-Chrome-Aluminum-for-Moto-Guzzi-Aprilia-Harley-Ducati/184175789937?hash=item2ae1bb8771:g:7McAAOSwGBpeS8Ts

74 SFC
72 SF
74 3C
75 3C
79 (81) Formula Mirage 1200
Various Ducati's, Guzzi's, Puch's ... a BSA Sloper and maybe even an R90
I don't have a 1977 Honda XL 175 but I do have a Chang Jiang CJ750 with a sidecar.

Lone Butte, British Columbia

Offline Ventodue

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2020, 11:07 »
I discovered the bar end mirror I spoke of is Napoleon. 

Wow!  That's a name from the past, Ric!  Had completely forgotten: Napoleon mirrors.

(Wonder why they had the same name as a minor aristocratic family from Corsica ...  :P)

Offline DavidH

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2020, 07:14 »
KiWAV make some superb rear vision mirrors.
In Taiwan.

The mirrors for our 910R HYDROGEN Brutale cost 20% of the genuine item from MV, are equal to the originals in all aspects.
I would not be surprised if KiWAV actually make them and supply to MV who paint them to suit.

I can tell you from first hand experience of manufacturing in the PRC - there is no such word as QUALITY in their language.
It is a foreign concept and remains so after 28 years in my experience. 
Quality from an engineering, food and pharma perspective is every time, not just for inspection or as a sample.

As for Taiwan being part of China, if we applied the fact that many of their people came originally from the PRC, so they must be part of the PRC, then we need to apply the same thinking to Australia.