Author Topic: RGS side stand  (Read 689 times)

Offline bake

RGS side stand
« on: June 02, 2020, 19:30 »
Has anyone found a way to make the side stand spring work in the opposite direction so it doesnít flip up when you straighten up the bike?

Also I see I have a battery hold down rubber and can see where it attaches to the tank but canít figure out where the other ends clip on to, this is my own doing as the bike has had the battery out while being in warm storage for a few years.

Offline andre g

Re: RGS side stand
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 19:58 »
About the side stand, do you want it to flip down when driving? What for- it could be dangerous!

Offline sfcpiet

• Administrator
  • NRW, Germany
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 20:37 »
Has anyone found a way to make the side stand spring work in the opposite direction so it doesnít flip up when you straighten up the bike?

Also I see I have a battery hold down rubber and can see where it attaches to the tank but canít figure out where the other ends clip on to, this is my own doing as the bike has had the battery out while being in warm storage for a few years.

Cannot be done with the stock "clockwork" spring.  You'll need to convert to a conventional spiral spring to achieve what you want.

piet
180s feel quick, 120s are...      If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics"  Georg Fitch 1916

Offline bake

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 21:13 »
About the side stand, do you want it to flip down when driving? What for- it could be dangerous!

Poor choice of wording, I want it like my 750 SF... so I donít have to try and get off the bike while holding the side stand out with my foot.

Offline hooksey

• I See Orange !
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 22:18 »
Battery strap doesnít attach to the tank tongue.... :o
Attaches too the battery tray on either side via hinged bracket and strap with pins.

Offline sfcpiet

• Administrator
  • NRW, Germany
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 22:30 »
Battery strap doesnít attach to the tank tongue.... :o
Attaches too the battery tray on either side via hinged bracket and strap with pins.

No hinged bracket on a RGS.  Hooks at both ends/sides of the battery tray.

piet

"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics"  Georg Fitch 1916

Offline hooksey

• I See Orange !
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 00:08 »
Are yes, of course they are Piet,
My boo boo.

Was it Series 2 that have hinged brkt  ???

Offline The Sock

• '76 3cE, Owned from new.
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 07:51 »

My '76 180į does. Can't speak for the second series.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 13:12 by The Sock »
'76 3cE, owned since new.

Offline Ventodue

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 10:04 »
So I donít have to try and get off the bike while holding the side stand out with my foot.

Simply shorten the stand by 12-15mm.

Added advantage is that bike will now lean over at an angle which means the bike won't threaten to blow over with the slightest puff of wind   :D

P.s  I know Piet and I don't agree on this.  But the RGS side stand is a right PITA  >:(.

Offline bake

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 15:07 »
The bike angle isnít the problem, itís my short legs that have trouble keeping the side stand extender while I try to get off the bike.

Offline Vince

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2020, 15:17 »
He wants to disable the stupid safety spring so the stand doesn't want too constantly spring up when deployed without weight to hold it in the down position.

Offline Ventodue

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2020, 17:37 »
The bike angle isnít the problem ... <snip>

Yeah, get that.  The added lean angle is just an added benefit (blimey, wish I'd never mentioned it now ...  :-X)

Short legs, I don't have a solution for ... ;D
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 17:41 by Ventodue »

Offline LJ-2

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2020, 17:41 »
Mines been moved forward on the frame ,by a previous owner,works very well,but you must remember to flick it up.
86 RGA Sprint
74 3C
73 3C/1
73 GTF
1951 Gilera Saturno Sport

Offline andre g

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2020, 19:20 »
I am happy with my original RGS and SFC 1000 side stand, maybe it is because I have longer shocks (380 mm) at the back wheel.
The bike mustnĎt parked downhill and the side stand should be at the lower side of the road. 🤓
Andre

Offline sfcpiet

• Administrator
  • NRW, Germany
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2020, 20:30 »
Are yes, of course they are Piet,
My boo boo.

All 180į and Jota 120 frames.

I have no issues with my RGS sidestand, Craig.  Maybe because my rear shocks are 370mm long... bike is stable and doesn't tend to topple off easily.

Many national vehicle regulations mandate that sidestands retract automatically when the bike is uprighted, Vince.  No fun falling on your face because you forgot to flick back the stand.

piet
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 20:38 by sfcpiet »