Author Topic: The Laverdas have finally arrived...  (Read 421 times)

Offline rpo83

The Laverdas have finally arrived...
« on: September 13, 2019, 03:48 »
Well after what seems an eternity the bikes have cleared quarantine and i'm in the process of collecting them.

I rushed down to the quarantine bond store early this morning to pick up the bikes... The plan was to do 2 trips if the Corsa would be cleared sometime today, so i arrived there at 9:30 ready to see the 2 bikes for the first time, to load up the Executive and inquire about when the Corsa would be cleared... The Corsa was cleared, i could grab both bikes today :)

So i loaded up the executive, wow what a contrast to the Bimota last night, the Laverda is a big heavy bike, but it is so much more maneuverable than the bimotas as it has a great turning circle and tons of lock! Once loaded i headed home to drop her off and then return...

This is when the plan went South... 2 things conspired against me... the 2 1/2 ton the Laverda weighs and gravity! I tried parking the car in numerous places and strapped ramps down, but everything was very sketchy.. in the end, i chose the safer option to simply wait for a hand rather than risk being squashed by a Laverda... So as i type this she is sitting in the back of the ute, lightly strapped down, waiting for a mate to help about 4pm when he finishes work... So now the Corsa will be collected tomorrow...

Both bikes look great, i expected the Executive to look great as it has only covered 7,400 k's from new, there look like 4 keys on the key ring and a tool kit under the seat :) The Corsa looked a bit tatty in the photos when i bought it, but in the flesh this morning she looked great... I can't wait to get them both here and start work on them...

Cheers

Steve.

1985 RGS Corsa, 2 Bimota YB5's Bimota SB6

Offline Vince

Re: The Laverdas have finally arrived...
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 03:57 »
They bottom out on tbe exuast if the ramp isnt long eought thats deadly mid load if the ramp is not long eought do i remember right your a mexican 2 more in oz great job

Offline hooksey

• I See Orange !
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 04:20 »
An exciting couple of days for you Steve  :D

Nice job with the ramps....shes definitely a two manr, and one with long legs  :o

Dont hesitate to post up here if you ever need a second pair of hands  ;) or need to borrow a trailer.
Have a great w/end  8)

Offline Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 04:33 »
waiting for a mate to help about 4pm when he finishes work...

Good plan. It could all turn into a horrible mess if you drop that big heavy lump off the ramp, especially if you end up underneath it. Might pay to remove the panniers before you wheel it off the ute. It'll give you a bit more room to walk around it and the pannier frames will serve as useful grab handles.

Would it not be better if you parked the ute the other way around? With the ute's arse pointing uphill, the ramp will be closer to level and wouldn't need to be a mile long.

Offline Vince

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 04:59 »
My resent trick leave the bjke in 1st gear and use the clutch instead of the brake that stops the unweighted front wheel from skiding backwards 100% more stable on a ramp

Offline Dellortoman

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 07:30 »
Yep. I sometimes use that trick too Vince. And don't forget to tie the top end of the ramp to the ute tray. You don't want it slipping off when you're half way down the ramp.

Offline Ventodue

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 08:00 »
Good news, Steve.

A quick 'Word to the Wise' (if it hasn't been mentioned before ...)

Do not trust the catches on the Executive cases - they are known for bursting open.  In fact, best to think of the cases as pieces of ornament rather than anything of great practicality - think Italian, 'La bella figura' etc  :-*

Offline rpo83

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 08:09 »
Thanks for all the comments guys, she is safely in the garage :)

My mate who helped has had a love affair with Laverdas for ever, he owned one of the nicest 81 Jota's and SFC1000 in the country... He was amazed at the condition of the Executive, it was nice to have a pair of expert eyes have a quick look at her.

I drove the ute down my drive which meant that the ramp was tilting slightly up, but with 2 of us it was no problem..

So tomorrow morning it is back to the quarantine bond store to get the Corsa.. It is the Corsa i'm most interested in, but it needs a little more work than the Executive... So the Executive will be the first one i start working on, whilst i get a good look at the Corsa and formulate a plan.

Cheers

Steve.

Online sfcpiet

• Administrator
  • NRW, Germany
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 08:44 »
Good news, Steve.

Do not trust the catches on the Executive cases - they are known for bursting open.  In fact, best to think of the cases as pieces of ornament rather than anything of great practicality - think Italian, 'La bella figura' etc  :-*

The catches were made from plastic, a later version was steel plate.  The steel ones are quite OK, but no longer available afaIk.   Easy enough to have a set copied from the originals and laser cut from stainless plate.

No problems with the catches on mine, they've been fitted for about 15 years/50000km.  The hinges are now worn out... ::)

piet
180s feel quick, 120s are...      If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics"  Georg Fitch 1916

Online pf1

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 19:31 »
Good news, Steve.

Mr juice from Finland used one of his executive panniers as a cocktail cabinet in Breganze I was impressed hic!

Offline maurice turner

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2019, 02:50 »
Cant wait so see these 120s circulating with our Victorian and Aussie  clan
81 Jota*7604*

Offline rpo83

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2019, 02:56 »
An early morning to collect the Corsa, i must have been wearing my rose coloured glasses when i saw it for the first time yesterday... compared to the Executive she needs a lot of work, she is all there but must have sat unloved for a while. The biggest problem is the fuel tank has been damaged in transit!! :( I wanted to try and keep the Corsa as untouched as possible, just a thorough clean and recommission, but now the tank and front fairing will need a touch up.

The importer is unhappy, they are a great company and when they unpacked the container all was well, the bikes are also covered with blankets, so the damage couldn't have happened from Japan to Melbourne, it happened when it had to go for a second inspection, so all the way from Dandenong to Hallam... I am understanding of the position they are in, and he is happy to help me..

So i need recommendations for a Melbourne based company who can remove the dent and match the factory paint... Do any of you Melbourne guys know someone?

Anyway here are a few pics, i'm going to need to buy metal polish in bulk for the Corsa :)

Left side, major corrosion on the cases..

Right side, you can see the dent in the well, it looks like a cloud reflection, but if you zoom in you'll see 2 dents, and the engine need a good clean

Dent just above the line of the seat

Ouch...
Cheers

Steve.

Offline Dellortoman

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2019, 07:07 »
The biggest problem is the fuel tank has been damaged in transit!! :(

It's completely buggered mate. I'll give you $100 for it.

Offline rpo83

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2019, 07:22 »
It's completely buggered mate. I'll give you $100 for it.

Let me ponder that offer Cam.... :)
Cheers

Steve.