Author Topic: LED headlight globe  (Read 2366 times)

Offline Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
LED headlight globe
« on: July 13, 2019, 05:36 »
Has anyone tried a LED replacement headlight globe? There are various brands available that'll fit straight into a H4 headlight reflector. Just wondering if they're any good.

The kind of things I've wondered about is whether there's room inside the headlight bucket for the heat sink and enough air circulation for it to cool OK.
Also, whether the beam colour is OK for humans (we see best in the colour temperature range 4500K - 6000K)

Offline Vince

Re: LED headlight globe
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 06:31 »
TRied one in the tail light, it for some reason didnt last the day. I have a highly illegal 90/ 130 watt H4 globe for a headlight with a relay. I was gobsmacked with it, for the first time ever you would be hard-pressed to outrun it. Its aimed correctly so doent blind others. Love the way it works.

Offline Brett

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 10:25 »
Cam it depends on how much you want to invest... pay peanuts and you get crap.

OEM's now are using LED's they've moved away from the projectors or HID's so that tells ya that the technology is there to support longevity these days as they are covered by vehicle warranty. 

I've been running LED headlight globes for years now in the RGS its done heaps of K's and as all know I'm a lights on type of guy. It has great spread at night and actually makes the RGS headlight usable. In fact I've had some winge that its too bright. Are they legal well technically not as have been retro fitted but then again would rather err on the side of safety.  I think I paid something like $115 plus postage for it but its in the top 3 of LED H4's.

I'd post the EBAY link but someone on here will likely complain about me not supporting a local supplier  :o so here is the site.. but am sure our local supplier will be along shortly and have something to suit your purpose.

https://hikari-led.com/headlight-bulbs/top-cree-led-kit.html

Drummer runs LED's everything as its got the stock alternator... the current headlight globe runs the heat sink fan at the front side of the globe..last one would'nt mount with original clip so I had to lock wire it in... both  worked great and fitted in the shell.. if the fan is at the back then its too tight even in that big 200mm bucket. Bottom line is I can run that bike now with lights on and the battery wont go flat.

Do your research and don't be a tight-arse expect to pay a decent price for a quality  H4 globe, cheaper that that your wasting your money they probably wont last or wont have a good light spread.
The key points to look for with a LED globe are that they should be running Phillips chips and also have Cree LED's.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 10:32 by Brett »
Sitting on the fence 120 or 180 that is the question ?

Offline Piranha Brother 2

• It was once a 1973 750 SF1
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 12:25 »
Ive read that leds dont have the full colour spectrum to show up things like animals. People with plenty of wattage to spare should supposedly run QH  for this reason. Sounds like Vince has discovered the benefit of hq hi wattage. Ive run 55/100 in the SF and they were excellent in a std $7 inch Bosch car light. Old Volvo had two but with 55/130s and that was sensational illumination.
LED tech is very advanced these days so Ill probably get one. They consume a fraction of the wattage and thus must rob less power and fuel.
Glad to hear that good quality items are out there Brett. Im with you. Pay peanuts get shaez!!
What ... leave it standard??!!

Offline sfcpiet

• Administrator
  • NRW, Germany
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 12:42 »
Not entirely convinced to go the LED route and well fed up with lo-life 100/80W H4 globes, I bit the bullet and sourced a pair of Phillips "Racing Vision" 60/55W H4 bulbs, claimed to produce 150% more(!) light than a conventional 60/55W H4.  Tried them first in my 2001 Skoda, which has pretty dismal lights, even with modern technology reflectors and clear-glass lens.  The result was inspiring, so I got a few more for the bikes.  I've swapped out the 100/80W in the RGS, light pattern is larger, brighter and better defined with the Phillips.  Even better on hi-beam with the supplementary 100W H7 from the underslung Hella.

Reckon these things are a good alternative for those without charging issues... ;D

piet
180s feel quick, 120s are...      If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics"  Georg Fitch 1916

Offline Greg Parish

• DAM Classic Racing
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 17:01 »

I'd post the EBAY link but someone on here will likely complain about me not supporting a local supplier  :o
The question now begs to be asked, "Why would anyone who owns a Laverda not support a local Laverda Parts dealer?".
The future of Laverda Parts supply depends on customer support, an attitude and continued averse stance like this makes no sense whatsoever.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
Read the preface on this link https://damclassicracing.com.au/shipping-returns/

Offline Greg Parish

• DAM Classic Racing
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 17:02 »
Laverda specified 55/60W and 55/100W which is noticeably brighter but physically emits more heat. Exon and LED emitt less heat by comparison.
The intensity of different colors of the alternative light types of the same wattage result in a perceived brightness rather than actual brightness. As a Cinematographer (for those who don't know my non-racing background please visit http://www.gregparish.com.au/Greg_Parish/Home.html ) we often refer to light in Degrees Kelvin, irrespective of the Wattage.
There's a simple diagram here that helps it all make sense. http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/cosmos/B/Blackbody+Radiation
Basically 2800K is candle light color, 3200K is your average "warm" incandescent room light, 5600K is approximate daylight, 11,000K in the shade with a clear blue sky. The higher the K, the bluer the light appears. 'White' or 'whiter' light actually doesn't exist, it's all relative.

Depending on your night vision ability and preference, there are now several different colors available in H4 globes and 2800-8500K or higher in Exon and LED which at night that appears very blue. The marketing is that blue is brighter (or 'Whiter'). A Lightmeter and Color Temperature meter tell the reality.
Phillips appears to leading the charge with this technology, especially in the marketing with the blue tip lamps etc.  also in varying the concentration or reduced spread of the light on the road makes it brighter too. https://www.philips.com.au/c-m-au/car-lights/headlight-bulbs/halogen
Here's another link that explains this stuff simply too.
https://www.explainthatstuff.com/how-xenon-lamps-work.html

Experimenting is great.
If it appears brighter to you the consumer then go with it, even though it may or may not appear brighter to the next person, but the individual will make their preference based upon their personal perception of the light value.

-------------------------------------------------------------

PS. Just as an aside on the brightness of headlights.... I was contracted by MotoGP lighting consortium to do the light measurement tests of different lighting systems for video coverage of night racing prior to the Singapore and Malaysia night GPs. I was working with Mick Doohan who was head of the motorcycle representatives. That was a very interesting and technical exercise. Safety of the riders and spectators was the major consideration as always. Some systems had the lights on the ground beaming straight up to flexible mirror reflector material mounted on lightweight poles, some were gas powered balloon types on cables, some were conventional sports-ground type lighting, HMI, QI etc. They also tried bikes with special type headlights fitted to them. My contract was to table the color temp and exposure measurements at various points around and across the width of the circuit and provide video test examples. It was intense work overnight but we had fun between setups hanging out with the riders and teams at the catering van.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 17:05 by Greg Parish »

Offline helicopterjim

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 19:21 »
The question now begs to be asked, "Why would anyone who owns a Laverda not support a local Laverda Parts dealer?".

Because we are believers in free will.
74 SFC
72 SF
74 3C
75 3C
79 (81) Formula Mirage 1200
Various Ducati's, Guzzi's, Puch's ... a BSA Sloper and maybe even an R90
I don't have a 1977 Honda XL 175 but I do have a Chang Jiang CJ750 with a sidecar.

Chilliwack, British Columbia

Offline Brett

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2019, 22:18 »
Oh silly me, hear was I thinking the thread was about LED Headlight globes  :o How did I get that so wrong

Correct whilst the range of Philips night racer and extreme vision globes and for that matter the Osram Night breaker range work really really good and also rapidly improving in quality and performance... in the big Bosch round lights aka on my Jota's ...............I cant run them on either the drummer or the Red 3C for risk of flat batteries even with a 55W low beam  ;)

On the RGS and Exacutive with their square headlights for some reason don't seem to have the same quality reflector in them. so they don't give a good spread of light. . Just waiting for a local supplier to have a replacement headlight for the RGS which is for RHD and has a decent reflector then maybe I could go back to a Phillips and avoid searching the WWW for one.

So after a lot of trial and errror over the years I have found that for the RGS the Hikari Eye of Megatron seems to give the best results IMO in that squarish type headlight. Maybe I don't do enough miles for some to be able to comment or have an opinion but for the mere few that the RGS has travelled over the past few years with it it I have no complaints. It has a really good spread and certainly picks up the wild life in front and more importantly on the sides in fact dare I say slightly more better than the Night racer H4 which has a more focused beam output I have found.... Now anyone who has road from Hamilton to Mount Gambier at night will understand that you need an awesome light for that trip.

Oh and as a foot note seems that the next leap forward is towards Laser headlights which give even more better light at less power consumption again... so perhaps in a few years the thread wont be about LED but will be about Laser globes as am sure they are coming to a supplier near you in the near future.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 22:59 by Brett »
Sitting on the fence 120 or 180 that is the question ?

Offline Cosi

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 23:07 »
I do , he lives not far from me and always has a cold beer waiting
Hastings Point 2489 Australia

Offline Greg Parish

• DAM Classic Racing
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2019, 23:47 »
That's the spirit. You certainly don't get that sort of service from eBay.

Offline Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2019, 03:59 »

So you're saying the $10 ones on ebay are crap?  Bugger! Who'd have thought?  ;)

I rarely ride at night. But it sometimes happens if I hang around too long at a mate's place (why do most of my friends live an hour's drive out of town?). There's a lot of wildlife in Tassie, as evidenced by it being the road-kill capital of the world, so that's my main concern. I like animals so I don't want to hurt them, or myself. Although I suppose I'm less likely to be damaged by an encounter because most of our animals are small(ish). We don't have wild cattle, bears or elephants. Any light that helps me spot critters on the road is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

Offline helicopterjim

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2019, 06:03 »
I do , he lives not far from me and always has a cold beer waiting

So if there is no beer you may shop elsewhere?

(drink) (bolt)
74 SFC
72 SF
74 3C
75 3C
79 (81) Formula Mirage 1200
Various Ducati's, Guzzi's, Puch's ... a BSA Sloper and maybe even an R90
I don't have a 1977 Honda XL 175 but I do have a Chang Jiang CJ750 with a sidecar.

Chilliwack, British Columbia

Offline KERMIT1200

• Worcester,UK
    • CYDERSTORE
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2019, 12:25 »
Hi all,
 Finding this thread very interesting.

I plan to be racing my TT1 in 4 hour endurance races next year, and a number of the races will be run into the night, and thus lights will be required.
Electric power is provided via a lithium battery, normal RGS charging system, and therefore my thoughts have turned to LED bulbs which require less amperage . I have also fitted Kawaski ZXR twin head light set up thus sticking with H4 type bulbs.

Found these Philips LEDs  -  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-PHILIPS-H4-320W-LED-Headlight-Kit-Bulbs-6500K-32000LM-Bright-Hi-Lo-Lamp-Light/401654927552?hash=item5d847fd0c0:g:lJ4AAOSwEWNcbDXM

Any reason why they shouldn't do the job?

Can't believe how cheap some of these bulbs are being sold for!
Andy

Offline Laverdalothar

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2019, 12:40 »
320 Watts - not sure one of our bikes produce that mouch power...  Maybe at the rear wheel, but for sure not by the alternator...  ;) The RGx-series Laverdas have the best alternator of all of the bikes, and that one - if ever - is putting out 200 - 230 Watt. Where do you take the other 100 Watt from, please?

also, if it delivers 320 Watts, how much Ampere would you expect it to put on the leads? Wouldn't turning on the lights automatically burn the bike down (or at least melt the insulation)??

Ampere = Watt/Volts  => 320/12 that is more than 25 Amper on leads that are made for 5 Ampere... (60 Watts/12 Volt) or maybe for 10 Ampere (100 W/12 V plus buffer).

Makes no sense in my eyes, at least not without putting a relais in between and use some serious wires...

but then I am limited in my electric knowledge
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 12:44 by Laverdalothar »
750 SF(0) 1971 #9934 *sold*
1000 SFC Classic 1989 #3367 *sold*
1000 SFC 1985 #2934 currently under restoration
1000 SFC Preproduction bike 1985 #0001 *sold*
1200 Jota 1981 #7474
750 S-Formula 2000 #1602
1000 Motoplast - currently under construction