Author Topic: Custom 1975 3C and more!  (Read 438 times)

Offline Brid Caveney

• west coast racing vintage
Custom 1975 3C and more!
« on: May 18, 2019, 05:53 »
Hi guys/gals -- been a long time since I posted. We've been very busy fettling a veritable slough of Brit bikes - ranging from a 1971 BSA A65, to 1969 BSA Rocket 3, 1961 Velocette Venom - and latterly a 1956 BSA DBD34 Goldstar.
BUT --- back to 'realty' - with finishing the 75 3C Custom we started building around a year ago -- and now a 74 750SF2 to get sorted out.
The 3C just had a Custom alloy tank/sidepanels/mudguards made for it, and now we are starting a full wiring job, using a Motogadget M Unit/M button.
Anyone have a line on a 3 into 1 system for it? The owner has talked to Renato in Luxembourg -- but they don't appear to be interested in building us a replica of the SS one we bought from them/used on the Custom Mirage TS build. The engine is finished, cams degreed, new pistons/rings etc -- and we have a set of Red's carbs on it. The only system we have is a 3 into 2 - which has been 'Ceracoted' black. It is screaming out for a 3 into 1 -- with so much Custom work done already!! Any help greatly appreciated  :D
Same customer just brought in his 74 750SF2 (which he bought from 'moderator' Lee!!) for a LOT of TLC. It runs OK -- but seems a tad 'anemic' -- and we need to give the engine a good check over. Shocks are completely sacked out, so the Customer wants a complete Race Tech 'makeover' -- gold valves/springs etc, plus same RT G3S shocks we have on the 3C. We'll also be doing a complete rewiring job -- as it's been 'hacked' too many times, and isn't in great shape -- though it does have a DMC ignition.
So -- we're back in the old Laverda 'groove' -- and loving it!!
Cheers,
Brid.
PS -- plenty of pics and ongoing work stories on our FB page https://www.facebook.com/westcoastracingvintage/

Offline Lee87H

Re: Custom 1975 3C and more!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 15:19 »
I didn't know I was a moderator,I owned the SF2 for a year,and other than changing the oil didn't have to do anything to the bike other than ride it,I have to disagree with the "totally sacked out shocks" as the bike rode just fine,will the bike benefit from $1000 worth of suspension?, of course it will, what old bike wouldn't.
74 3-C
78 1000 3-CL
66 Montesa 250 Impala
74 Bultaco 250 Pursang
74 Bultaco 360 Pursang
79 Bultaco 350 Sherpa T
00 Buell 1200 Cyclone

Offline Brid Caveney

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 17:23 »
Hey Lee, Doug mentioned the moderator thing -- sorry for any misleading thoughts!! Not sure how heavy you are -- but with Doug on the SF2, the shocks are bottoming out -- on just overall sag - not even riding it -- plus, they are just plain not damping. He is over 200lbs  - and a pretty hard rider, so having good suspension is important. We've done RT fork conversions on all his other Laverda's, and other than the current 3C we are building (which has RT shocks), fitted Custom built Mupo shocks. Other thing is - he has several modern BMW's he rides pretty much daily, and is used to having 'real' suspension. So -- he's definitely not shy about having us set the Laverda's up with the best we can muster -- as it means he can actually ride them hard - without scaring himself!!

Offline Lee87H

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 20:41 »
No problem,I'm about 175 dressed,and don't push the old bikes real hard,I've got modern bikes to go fast on.
74 3-C
78 1000 3-CL
66 Montesa 250 Impala
74 Bultaco 250 Pursang
74 Bultaco 360 Pursang
79 Bultaco 350 Sherpa T
00 Buell 1200 Cyclone

Offline Brid Caveney

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 22:24 »
Lee --- Doug is just a hard rider - period!! Not harsh -- hard!!  ;D
The night he dropped the SF2 off with us, he'd been riding his BMW R1200GS -- and you couldn't get much further apart comparison wise!
Looking forward to getting the SF2 a tad more 'compliant' in the suspension dept

Offline Tippie

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 05:44 »
A good move uprating the suspension, will transform the bike. If your customer rides hard in corners I would be advising him to very quickly find the limit of cornering clearance caused by the exhaust collector, or his next visit will be for a crash repair.
On my own SF2 I have vastly reduced the number of connections from standard that loop several times through the terminal block, taking as much as possible directly to itīs destination, and fitted relays to unload the ignition switch and light switches, and uprated to spade fuses.
The bike doesn't look like it needs much otherwise, going by the FB pics it looks great.
SF2 17483 (race)
SF2 17424 (road)
An Australian living near Oslo in Norway

Offline Brid Caveney

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 22:46 »
A good move uprating the suspension, will transform the bike. If your customer rides hard in corners I would be advising him to very quickly find the limit of cornering clearance caused by the exhaust collector, or his next visit will be for a crash repair.
On my own SF2 I have vastly reduced the number of connections from standard that loop several times through the terminal block, taking as much as possible directly to itīs destination, and fitted relays to unload the ignition switch and light switches, and uprated to spade fuses.
The bike doesn't look like it needs much otherwise, going by the FB pics it looks great.
Tippie,
Will be sure and remind the customer to be careful on cornering!! We're going 10mm longer on the shocks, and will have RT uprated springs in the forks (along with Gold Valves) so the ride height will be a tad higher - and a LOT more compliant than what's there now!!
Did you ever make a diagram for your rewiring job? Doing a bit of brain picking I know --- but we're definitely open to suggestions for cleaning up the rodents nest that it has now!! We're putting KTM style handlebar switches on it (Made by K&S) at customers request (we have them on the Custom  Mirage TS we built for him -- and the Custom 3C we are wiring right now) Not got around to doing anything but ordering all the RT parts for the SF2 - but it'll be on the lift shortly -- and we need a 'Plan A' for the electrical updates needed.

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
« Reply #7 on: Today at 01:17 »
Did you ever make a diagram for your rewiring job? Doing a bit of brain picking I know --- but we're definitely open to suggestions for cleaning up the rodents nest that it has now!! We're putting KTM style handlebar switches on it (Made by K&S) at customers request (we have them on the Custom  Mirage TS we built for him -- and the Custom 3C we are wiring right now) Not got around to doing anything but ordering all the RT parts for the SF2 - but it'll be on the lift shortly -- and we need a 'Plan A' for the electrical updates needed.

Hybrid .........  :P
Couldn't help but to chime in here.

My custom SF wiring was a hair pulling excersize.

But after I looked at the wiring diagram for a Suzuki GS500, it looked so simple.

Hey presto once it arrived, and after making a few mods (getting rid of side stand cutout etc) was the best thing I did. Bearing in mind, mine uses the Ignitech ignition, no points etc.

And, the Laverda triple/Suzuki switchblocks were almost colour coded to suit the GS500 loom.  I needed a LED indicator relay, Ebayed GS500 LED flasher relay, a few days later it was on the doorstep and plugged straight in. This is what I like about it, simplistic and parts are readily available. OK, I have to put up with the headlight being on when the bike is running, but hey.

The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle there’s no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.

Offline helicopterjim

« Reply #8 on: Today at 04:25 »
Wolfgang has replacement wiring harnesses ....... but they do not include the upgrades for relays as noted above. They are a nicely done harness though.
74 SFC
72 SF
75 3C
79 (81) Formula Mirage 1200
Various Ducati's, Guzzi's, Puch's ... a BSA Sloper and maybe even an R90
I don't have a 1977 Honda XL 175

Chilliwack, British Columbia

Online Vince

« Reply #9 on: Today at 07:37 »
Chris switch blocks made for countries where headlight on isn't mandatory are available with a light on and off switch. I think Europian model KTMs have a headlight off switch. There might be one that suits your setup. I am even with the 450watt alternator not keen on trying to fire an engine with the headlight sucking juice. There may even be a way to program the Motogadget M Unit to kill the lights until the bike fires up.

Offline Grant

« Reply #10 on: Today at 07:49 »
That's how my m-Unit works.
www.clublaverda.com
Check out the daily blog

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
« Reply #11 on: Today at 08:15 »
Vince, the smoke leaves the parker lights on until the engine is running. Then somehow the magic smoke makes the headlight work. Don’t ask me how, it just happens.
The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle there’s no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.