Author Topic: 83 1200TS - DPO issues  (Read 453 times)

Offline r.bartlett

83 1200TS - DPO issues
« on: May 16, 2019, 15:06 »
Ok, new lever and silencers are on but Ted my mechanic has found a number of PO issues..He's pretty certain the engine has been torn down not too long ago but on running he was disturbed by the rattling. Oh and a lot of blue smoke which is more worrying

Removing the cam cover revealed the cam chain was so loose he was surprised it hadn't jumped a tooth. He's tightened it
Primary chain sounds as bad but he hasn't yet taken that cover off. although cover has sustained accident damage at some point.
someone has linked across a relay not sure what it is or why?
compression test
l/h 125
mid 75
r/h 109
he said there is cross over between the two so thinks the Head gasket may have blown... Top end off time :-)
not happy with the non standard air filters, said the triples struggle with these K&N's .. I should try to source OEM
trigger electroncs look rough, consider replacing primary cover see damage and ign set up.
the tacho drive seems to be missing something?. we found the inner ( see previous thread about rev cable ) which had slipped from the tacho gauge down inside the outer to the top of the engine.

He suggests a 'home enthusiast' engineer level has been tinkering with this for some time....

I guess this is just the start of a beautiful friendship  ;D

Does this make sense ?

Offline Piranha Brother 2

• It was once a 1973 750 SF1
Re: 83 1200TS - DPO issues
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 23:49 »
Probably better in the Technical thread. Classic DPO symptoms - judging by the condition of the motore I'd be tempted to go a full stripdown. It will save you money in the long run - quite a lot of money potentially.
What ... leave it standard??!!

Offline maurice turner

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 00:58 »
Hate to disapoint you but start from zero you need to know about whats going on in there! 
81 Jota*7604*

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 04:21 »
Hate to disapoint you but start from zero you need to know about whats going on in there!

:o Touring around on a 1200 you don’t know could have its pitfalls....... if you know what I mean?
The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle there’s no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.

Offline IAG

• Chicago
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 18:10 »
That is rusty & crusty! Been sitting in water or on the coast of an island? Do a leak down test for #2 to determine failure but tear down imminent.
1976 3CL#5148 
American Eagle #1650
1984 RGS Executive #10 (#2320)

Offline sfcpiet

• Administrator
  • NRW, Germany
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 09:31 »
I see this sort of stuff every other week, quite sad to see these fine bikes in such neglected condition.  Guess it's a testimony to their ruggedness, they'll keep on going until they are well and truely run into the ground.

A parts book will help establish what's missing, you'll be surprised... ;D

piet
180s feel quick, 120s are...      If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics"  Georg Fitch 1916

Offline r.bartlett

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 18:40 »

yes we're on to it.. :o

Offline r.bartlett

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 18:41 »
we are pulling the motor out for a full tear down...

Offline pf1

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 20:38 »
The trouble seems to start with the home mechanic trying to shim the valves on these Spanish triples, they mess that up and its downhill from there.
The one I've just bought from there is an absolute disaster zone in the valve clearance area. All the shims have been ground down to below the smallest standard shim size, each one is around 1.7mm thick and the exhaust valve clearances are huge, one shim is smashed to bits and the other two are at 0.8mm when they should be 0.25mm. It must have rattled like hell before it gave up.

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 21:51 »
Oops, what’s this long blade thing doing down the cam chain tunnel?
She’ll be right mate, it won’t need it......
The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle there’s no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.

Offline Piranha Brother 2

• It was once a 1973 750 SF1
« Reply #10 on: Today at 01:34 »
Good work pulling it down. Pretty clear now that you had little choice. Imagine the damage if you continued using it like that! As i said, it can end up VERY costly!

Good luck sorting it.
What ... leave it standard??!!