Author Topic: torque arm hole centres  (Read 714 times)

Offline maurice turner

torque arm hole centres
« on: February 14, 2019, 07:01 »
I have an issue with my disc brake 3C's and that is the rear brake cable seems too long as it has a really tight curve and instead of looking at the cable as an issue I thought i would look at the centres between the mounting bolts on the torque arm one of my 3C's is about 300mm between centres and the outer cable is about 365mm long can anyone confirm if there maybe different cables between the 750 and 1000?? If they have a different length?
Regards
M
81 Jota*7604*

Offline Ventodue

Re: torque arm hole centres
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 08:13 »
<snip> ... can anyone confirm if there maybe different cables between the 750 and 1000?? If they have a different length?

Different part numbers, Maurice,  so they ain't gonna be the same ...  Length or someut else?  Dunno ...

1000: 36110214 54
750 : 36110202 42

Offline Paul Marx

• Les motos de Paul
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 09:36 »
You probably have a 750 cable Maurice.

750 outer is around 48 cm
1000 is around 38 cm

Paul

Offline maurice turner

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 10:07 »
Hi Paul mine measures the same as a 1000 cable but with my axle quite well forward in the slot the cable has too much curve I am thinking about changing the torque arm bolt centers to relax the cable a bit I would be interested to see what hole centers others have in a 3C torgue arm
81 Jota*7604*

Offline Brett

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 10:22 »
Hi Paul mine measures the same as a 1000 cable but with my axle quite well forward in the slot the cable has too much curve I am thinking about changing the torque arm bolt centers to relax the cable a bit I would be interested to see what hole centers others have in a 3C torgue arm
Better just to relax yourself me thinks  :o if it aint broke dont fix it.
I promised would measure will do first thing in the morning for you  8)

« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 10:33 by Brett »
Sitting on the fence 120 or 180 that is the question ?

Offline Paul Marx

• Les motos de Paul
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 10:44 »
Torque arm centers are 30 cm give or take a midge on my 3C.
Identical to my SF2.

Paul

Offline tom3c75

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 11:01 »
Around 30cm on my 3C.

Offline sfcpiet

• Administrator
  • NRW, Germany
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 21:17 »
I have an issue with my disc brake 3C's and that is the rear brake cable seems too long as it has a really tight curve and instead of looking at the cable as an issue I thought i would look at the centres between the mounting bolts on the torque arm one of my 3C's is about 300mm between centres and the outer cable is about 365mm long can anyone confirm if there maybe different cables between the 750 and 1000?? If they have a different length?
Regards
M

Quite a unique bike, Maurice!  Mechanical disc brakess, what will they think of next... ;D

Triple cable is a bit shorter than twin due to differing front mounts.  Torque anchor is the same for both iIrc.

piet
180s feel quick, 120s are...      If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics"  Georg Fitch 1916

Offline maurice turner

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 22:18 »
Yep I worded that badly Piet no thinking that well at the moment, I am thinking of remaking a torque arm with different hole centres just need to slide the axle right through the adjuster slot to ensure I get a full arc on the pivot point.
81 Jota*7604*

Offline Greg Parish

• DAM Classic Racing
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 23:07 by Greg Parish »
DAM Classic Racing
Laverda Service and Spare Parts
http://www.laverdaparts.co.uk
http://www.damclassicracing.com.au

Offline maurice turner

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 23:50 »
Thanks Greg my cable is the correct length I am starting to wonder if my swinging arm may have been shortened some time in the past 45 years???
81 Jota*7604*

Online Vince

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2019, 00:25 »
What about the front cable outer holder, mine has a steel cylinder with a cut and notch for the cable mounted on the frame from memory, is it in the right spot. Mine came with that hastily thought out left gear right brake setup with the insanely long brake cable around the wheel setup. Maybe there was some DPO work done modifying this back in the day.

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2019, 02:47 »
Thanks Greg my cable is the correct length I am starting to wonder if my swinging arm may have been shortened some time in the past 45 years???

Maybe Bill Shortened it, a Labourish job.  (bolt)
The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle there’s no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.

Offline Tippie

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2019, 07:44 »
"I am starting to wonder if my swinging arm may have been shortened some time in the past 45 years???"
If it was a Bologna bike you could have had an ex Castrol 6 Hour "special"! Stanco never cheated though or they would have probably won.
Good idea to make a shorter torque arm to get everything to sit properly, nothing to it. Save the original for concourse.
SF2 17483 (race)
SF2 17424 (road)
An Australian living near Oslo in Norway

Offline breganzane

• SE Australia
    • Breganzane
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2019, 10:06 »

Wasn't it only the original factory 72 Bol'd'Or bike that had the short swingarm???

(I just made that up, but it would be a good rumour to start if one owned a bike with a dodgy short swingarm...) 
Various 120, 180 and 360 Laverdas - and a single.