Author Topic: RGS rear brake  (Read 426 times)

Offline drikko

• Brisvegas
RGS rear brake
« on: January 13, 2019, 08:56 »
So since I got the new RGS I've been struggling to get the rear brake to work at all. Replaced the master Cylinder, pads, brake line, seals in the caliper to no avail, looked at some of the other RGSs at the RAD run today and it suddenly hit me, someone has welded on a long lever onto the brake pedal making the leverage way too big! New hole drilled, now just have to sober up enough to take it for a test run...... Why would someone have welded that on??????

Also looks like they've put on a longer adjustable link thing, I need to shorten it. Can someone measure one for me? And why on earth did the factory not use left and right hand threads like the ones on my boat???

Oh and yeah I sorted imgur out.....

« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 08:59 by drikko »
Rgs1000 '83
Weestrom
Triumph Sprint ST1050
Cosi prefers crow eaters....
Breville Sandwich Maker

DISCLAIMER:- Anything I say may have been when I was sober so please don't take it personally.
'Bigamy is having one wife/husband too many. Monogamy is the same.' Oscar Wilde

Offline Ventodue

Re: RGS rear brake
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 11:04 »

Also looks like they've put on a longer adjustable link thing, I need to shorten it. Can someone measure one for me?

70mm, Drikko. Pound to a penny someone's used the longer 120mm one from the gear lever - hence the need to bodge the footpeg thingy...

P.s  Hope the attached helps (4 different set-ups).
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 11:35 by Ventodue »

Offline SimonR501

• Lympne, Kent, UK
    • Simons Flickr site
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 11:10 »
someone has welded on a long lever onto the brake pedal making the leverage way too big! New hole drilled, now just have to sober up enough to take it for a test run...... Why would someone have welded that on??????
Because they didn't understand how levers work?
Long lever input and short lever output = much reduced effort needed for braking.
Laverda Jota 120 - 1982.
LG F1495BDA Direct Drive Washing Machine.
Black & Decker GLC3630L20 36v Cordless Telescopic Grass Trimmer.
SimonR501 Flickr Photos.http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonr501

Offline sfcpiet

• Administrator
  • NRW, Germany
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 11:14 »
When adjusting the footrests over a certain point, the link rods should be swapped from side to side.  No need to fit different rods.

Drikko, please be aware that 2 sizes of M/C were used on the RGS, as well as corresponding levers on the transfer shaft through the footrest plate.  I often find mis-matched bits when dealing with dismal rear brake performance.  To further enhance bite, soft compound pads can be fitted, very pleased with Lucas/TRW MCB019RQ.

piet
180s feel quick, 120s are...      If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics"  Georg Fitch 1916

Offline Ventodue

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 12:01 »
Drikko, please be aware that 2 sizes of M/C were used on the RGS, as well as corresponding levers on the transfer shaft through the footrest plate.

Attachment below from the parts book(s).  The 39mm lever (identified as part 29 in the drawing) goes with the 12mm m/c; the 55mm with the 15mm m/c.

Offline drikko

• Brisvegas
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 23:52 »
70mm, Drikko. Pound to a penny someone's used the longer 120mm one from the gear lever - hence the need to bodge the footpeg thingy...

P.s  Hope the attached helps (4 different set-ups).

Yeah but as mentioned in Piets post to go all the way down in footpeg height adjustment you have to swap them over, the one I've got on the brake side now is close to 150mm so I need to trim it down to 120. I'd say whoever changed it added the longer rod to reach the bodgied footpeg.  All very strange...  Now that I've moved it up its too long.  It had a 12mm MC on it,  now has an 11mm and the 39mm lever on it so should be good! Unfortunately I got called into work dammit so no test ride for today. :(
Rgs1000 '83
Weestrom
Triumph Sprint ST1050
Cosi prefers crow eaters....
Breville Sandwich Maker

DISCLAIMER:- Anything I say may have been when I was sober so please don't take it personally.
'Bigamy is having one wife/husband too many. Monogamy is the same.' Oscar Wilde

Offline Brett

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 11:03 »
Hope you had sobered up

Sitting on the fence 120 or 180 that is the question ?

Online Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 23:21 »
I got called into work dammit so no test ride for today. :(

There's your problem. A distinguished and venerable gentleman like yourself should be enjoying retirement.