Author Topic: Newbie from Cologne  (Read 1285 times)

Offline Jo

• Cologne, Germany
Newbie from Cologne
« on: January 07, 2018, 11:37 »
Hello,
At first a happy new year to you – and always enough grip!

I’m a newbie to this Forum, although not totally new to Laverda. I drove a 750 SF1 from 1980 till 1996.

When I bought the 750 SF it had 20tkm’s on the speedo and four previous owners.
The first issue I had was a soft, speed related “klick-klick” from the drivetrain, which proofed as a missing
tooth from one of the 5th gears couple. Fortunately nothing hung up. On reassembling I changed primary
and timing chain – the rest looked quite o.k. to me. This was before Moto Witt was founded as importer.
Michael Schenk near Wiesbaden helped me with parts and hints at that time.

Of course there was always some fuss with the starter freewheel. With regular checks and always new
springs in reach this was under control however.

As poor student I recall one summer of push-starts only – the starter relay denied to work. At this time a
friend of mine came to visit me with his brand new Morini 500. He had urged his dealer to hand him the bike
w/o the starter (the Morini was offerd with and w/o starter at that time), we found the related starter relay
still on the bike. So I pinched the relay from his new bike (which proofed to be the same as used on my
Laverda) and was happy to have my starter back to work.

Next episode I remember had been issues with misfiring above 4000 revs. I nearly went mad on the troubleshooting.
Every bloody Yamaha 360 did beat me at that time – I was a nervous wreck … 
After I’d checked nearly all of the primary and secondary ignition wiring, I dismantled the ignition lock (the old
Bosch agricultural thing). The “bone”, which actuates the ignition, does act on a devise similar to a breaker contact.
Due to some wear and missing tension the contact was poor, which lead to subject interruptions and misfire when
vibrations increased above 4000 revs. Although I had a new ignition lock already purchased, I was so proud that
the error cause was found, that I put the repaired old lock in place (which worked w/o further issues in the next years).

That’s it mostly. There was only one more issue with a broken wire on one of the regulator contact shoe. Beside this
we did around 120tkm together.

In 1995 I overhauled the entire engine and planned to update the exterior as next step as my Laverda had suffered
from lack of care (as far as cleaning and polishing is concerned) in my student’s time. New Konis and a complete exhaust
had already been purchased when the Laverda was damaged in my parent’s barn due to a fire.

I sticked to Italian Two-Cylinders though, in 1996 got my first Duc (900SS belt), followed by another one which
I purchased new in 1998. This was updated with Mikuni TMRs and was fun to ride (it is still owned by a colleague).

In 2004 I started with track days and purchased an Aprilia RSV 1000, which was replaced in 2006 with the related
Factory - which I still drive.

However, somehow it strongly looks that I still have an open account with Laverda. And as we say here “One
can’t jump into the same river twice” I’m favouring a 1000 3c now.

I live in Cologne, Germany and will update the community on how my negotiations on a 3c develop …

Cheers
Jo

« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 17:05 by Jo »
Take people as they are - there aren't any others.

My Laverda pictures:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/italobikes-v2jo/albums/72157690026363615

Offline rowdypat

Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 11:53 »
 (bigthumb)
Continue.......

Offline Brett

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 11:55 »
(bigthumb)
Continue.......
Yes please keep us posted there are some on this forum who are not that far from you who might be able to help ya,.
Sitting on the fence 120 or 180 that is the question ?

Offline Jo

• Cologne, Germany
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 12:02 »
Yes please keep us posted there are some on this forum who are not that far from you who might be able to help ya,.

Thank you!
 8)

Here are some pictures from the old times:

Hope I will be in the position to post some up to date one's in the near future ...
 :D

Cheers
Jo
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 19:39 by Jo »

My Laverda pictures:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/italobikes-v2jo/albums/72157690026363615

Offline helicopterjim

• No shit, there I was - and the crack was 90!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 12:25 »
Great story ........ I hope you can find a 3C.

What happened to your 750 after the fire?

Jim
74 SFC
72 SF
74 3C
75 3C
79 (81) Formula Mirage 1200
Various Ducati's, Guzzi's, Puch's ... a BSA Sloper and maybe even an R90
I don't have a 1977 Honda XL 175 but I do have a Chang Jiang CJ750 with a sidecar.

Chilliwack, British Columbia

Offline Xav

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 13:13 »
I like this saying Jo.

- "However, somehow it strongly looks that I still have an open account with Laverda. And as we say here “One
can’t jump into the same river twice” I’m favouring a 1000 3c now." -

I had the same reasoning.

An SF in 1979 and after a few years with out Laverda, the choice to take a Jota ...

Welcome

Offline Jo

• Cologne, Germany
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 07:13 »
Great story ........ I hope you can find a 3C.

What happened to your 750 after the fire?

Jim

I sold the remains together with the Koni shocks and the new exhaust.
AFAIK the bike was build up again ...

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 16:31 by Jo »

Offline lawrence

• Idaho, USA
Re: Newbie from Cologne
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 16:24 »
Welcome Jo, it's good to have you among the true believers   ;)
Idaho, USA

Offline Laverdalothar

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 16:50 »
Hi Jo, third forum to meet now...  ;D
750 SF(0) 1971 #9934 *sold*
1000 SFC Classic 1989 #3367 *sold*
1000 SFC 1985 #2934 currently under restoration
1000 SFC Preproduction bike 1985 #0001 *sold*
1200 Jota 1981 #7474
750 S-Formula 2000 #1602
1000 Motoplast - currently under construction

Offline Jo

• Cologne, Germany
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 18:02 »
Hi Xav, hi Lawrence, thanks!

Hi Lothar,
yeah, I’m starting to make myself familiar with “todays Laverda world” …
 8)

It’s absolutely stunning how many skilled people are spread around the world and what they are doing on & with the
old Italian metal!

Today, when I got home from work I found some race reports and videos about Gijs van Dijks start in Donnington last
May (thanks to Rob for this great insight). I have seen this team in July 2013 in Spa winning the Classic 1000:

Further I found some pictures and videos from 'down under' BEARS – absolutely great stuff!

With OCT I have competent support nearby - there are folk who are significantly worse off!

In summary: With all this skilled people out there my impression is, whatever challenge I have
to face, there will always be a solution!

It looks I have found a lovely 3c, however, until this is home and dry my lips are sealed  …
 :-X 8)

Cheers
Jo
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 17:13 by Jo »