Author Topic: Laverda Jota Ownership, second time around. (ramblings)  (Read 333681 times)

Offline Paul Marx

Re: Laverda Jota Ownership, second time around. (ramblings)
« Reply #2985 on: February 13, 2020, 15:53 »
I use Google maps on my smartphone, very biker friendly. Smartphone mounted on the handlebars of several bikes including the SF2 and charging via an USB socket. No USB socket on the Guzzi because it's 6 volts.
I also use this: https://www.myrouteapp.com/fr
It allows me to create a route at home on my PC and transfer it to my smartphone.

I find Waze useful in urban areas because traffic conditions are updated live.

Paul

Offline martymoose

« Reply #2986 on: February 13, 2020, 18:27 »
Riding around NZ is pretty easy plenty of signs havent had to use google maps much. Plenty of fuel so I stop every 100-150 km and top up as no speedo so no idea how much fuel Ive used.  CX is thirsty carrying me about, getting around 6-7 litres  per 100 km 
200 pages of shit, thats got to be a record? Sorry, ramblings 😎
Cheers from sunny Sydney

Offline cbertozz

« Reply #2987 on: February 13, 2020, 19:42 »
I did say...... :laugh:

So I have lost 11kg in body weight since beginning of January through eating less junk. So suspension adjustments are required  :laugh:

Have to work out how to check my front sprocket on the Jota seeing as my Ducati front went AWOL on my going down A6 from Heathcote!
1978 Laverda Jota #6041
First owned in 1991, reacquired 2016.

Offline Vince

« Reply #2988 on: February 13, 2020, 23:26 »
Danger danger, every time I assess the front sprocket it impacts in the gear selection mechanism and I lose either 1st or 5th gear and getting them back usually takes dozens of adjustments. Some manage this without the drama. Mine not so much.

Offline martymoose

« Reply #2989 on: February 14, 2020, 05:22 »
How do you loose a sprocket?
Cheers from sunny Sydney

Offline Vince

« Reply #2990 on: February 14, 2020, 05:40 »
From memory, my Pantah has a bolted-on plate outside the sproket, 2 bolts and there is a slot this plate fits to on the shaft and you turn the plate and insert the bolts into the sproket, Preety idiot-proof unless the bolts backed out. Its a later model but I thought all 2 valve Ducatis are very similar.

Offline Paul Marx

« Reply #2991 on: February 14, 2020, 06:34 »
The gearbox sprocket cover needs centering.
A question of 6mm screws in 7mm holes I think.

Paul

Offline Vince

« Reply #2992 on: February 14, 2020, 07:49 »
I have no idea in total how many ks my 45-year-old bike has done but the fixer suspects I have worn bits in my gear selector components and specifically the C shaped double hook gadget that hooks the pins.

Offline AndyW

• Mali
« Reply #2993 on: February 14, 2020, 10:02 »
How do you loose a sprocket?

Slacken the bolts holding it on...
'71 TR6 Tiger, '73 X-75, '73 3C, '74 3C, '75 SF2, '75 850T3 Cal, '75 T160V, '78 Mirage, 78 SSD Darmah '80 SD Darmah, '82 TR7/T, '83 Tenere, '85 R80g/s, 2017 MV F3 (Ago edition)

Offline Piranha Brother 2

• It was once a 1973 750 SF1
« Reply #2994 on: February 14, 2020, 13:49 »
I have no idea in total how many ks my 45-year-old bike has done but the fixer suspects I have worn bits in my gear selector components and specifically the C shaped double hook gadget that hooks the pins.

Just a few spare parts, Vince, Piss easy to replace!
What ... leave it standard??!!

Offline Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #2995 on: February 15, 2020, 02:27 »
From memory, my Pantah has a bolted-on plate outside the sproket, 2 bolts and there is a slot this plate fits to on the shaft and you turn the plate and insert the bolts into the sproket, Preety idiot-proof unless the bolts backed out. Its a later model but I thought all 2 valve Ducatis are very similar.

Are you sure you're not confusing Ducati/Laverda sprocket retaining systems?

The system you describe sounds exactly like that used by Laverda.

My Ducati MHR has a thread and a big nut to hold the sprocket on the splined shaft. It normally has a tab washer to keep the nut on, but mine kept coming loose. It would only loosen a fraction of a turn because the washer would catch it, but that would be enough for it to leak oil (there's a spacer sleeve thingy on the shaft behind the sprocket that the seal seals against, and oil will get out inside the spacer if it isn't done up tight). So I chucked the tab washer away and just used Loctite on the thread. No further oil leak problems in the 10 years or so since I did that, and the sprocket has stayed put.

Offline Vince

« Reply #2996 on: February 15, 2020, 04:55 »
I just checked its definitely like I described, a swivelling plate that sequired with 2 bolts

Offline Tippie

« Reply #2997 on: February 15, 2020, 06:54 »

My Ducati MHR has a thread and a big nut to hold the sprocket on the splined shaft. It normally has a tab washer to keep the nut on, but mine kept coming loose. It would only loosen a fraction of a turn because the washer would catch it, but that would be enough for it to leak oil (there's a spacer sleeve thingy on the shaft behind the sprocket that the seal seals against, and oil will get out inside the spacer if it isn't done up tight). So I chucked the tab washer away and just used Loctite on the thread. No further oil leak problems in the 10 years or so since I did that, and the sprocket has stayed put.
[/quote]
I had a customer (uni student) come in and ask how much it would cost to rebuild his Ducati gearbox that was stuffed. I gave him the labour estimate, lots of hours, and he said he would save up and come back, of course I never expected to see him again. Well about 8 months later he wheels his bike in off the trailer and I whip it up on the bench. You guessed it the sprocket nut had loosened and the sprocket fallen out off the splines. He hadn't left yet, so got to put the bike straight back on the trailer, I didn't charge him anything for the three minutes work to loctite it. He had a tidy little bank account now for his holidays. An accessories salesman was in the shop at the time and witnessed it, said he new of a few shops that would not have been so honest.
Similar happened in Darwin but the mechanic had the Norton (which we had picked up stranded from the roadside) gearbox out on the bench when the customer came in to check on progress. The mech asked the owner where the rear drive chain was.
SF2 17483 (race)
SF2 17424 (road)
An Australian living near Oslo in Norway

Offline cbertozz

« Reply #2998 on: February 15, 2020, 08:48 »
Yep mine is like Vince describes a small retaining plate that fits over the splines of the shaft and bolts in with two M4 bolts. Assume a bit of loctite will solve. Now also have to tidy up the back wheel which was scuffed up by the chain, and the tyre which already needs replacing because it had a puncture, and was also chewed up.

1978 Laverda Jota #6041
First owned in 1991, reacquired 2016.

Offline Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #2999 on: February 15, 2020, 09:09 »
Ducati must have changed the sprocket retaining system when they went to the belt drive engines. Probably a good thing too. I'm not a fan of the threaded shaft with a nut holding the sprocket on. Seems a bit unreliable to me.