Author Topic: Laverda Jota Ownership, second time around. (ramblings)  (Read 248205 times)

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
Re: Laverda Jota Ownership, second time around. (ramblings)
« Reply #2775 on: December 04, 2019, 23:42 »
Springs in compression will increase their diameter as they compress. So if the spring is a tight fit when relaxed, it could bind when it compresses.

8) Well, there's a fact I was never aware of ............... are you fair dinkum Cam?
The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle there’s no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.

Offline cbertozz

« Reply #2776 on: December 05, 2019, 00:23 »
My understanding is the forks have an ID of 32 mm and the Racetech springs are 31.7 or similar, so it's pretty tight. The 29cm springs are 27mm longer.

The bike felt better with the longer/thinner springs so they stay for now.

Time to try the 10w oil to see what impact that has. 15w is acceptable but wondering whether 10w might smooth things out a bit on the crenelated roads around here.

1978 Laverda Jota #6041
First owned in 1991, reacquired 2016.

Offline Vince

« Reply #2777 on: December 05, 2019, 00:26 »
I keep hearing this little voice in my head saying 0.95 springs are the hardest that fit in 38mm forks, and from a hazy memory that Shock Treatment. Not guaranteed as its years old. crenelated, thats a new word for me and that's rare

Offline Vince

« Reply #2778 on: December 05, 2019, 00:29 »
Fuck me what a great little word.

crenellate
/ˈkrɛn(ə)leɪt/
verbHISTORICAL
past tense: crenelated; past participle: crenelated
provide (a wall of a building) with battlements.
"the abbey of Quarr had been licensed to crenellate its buildings"

Offline cbertozz

« Reply #2779 on: December 05, 2019, 01:25 »
 :laugh:

To be fair, given its origins, there aren't many castles and battlements in Australia, so somewhat harder to enter the vernacular.

1978 Laverda Jota #6041

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
« Reply #2780 on: December 05, 2019, 01:36 »
Crenellate ........... I'll have to ruminate that, before I postulate it.
The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle there’s no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.

Offline cbertozz

« Reply #2781 on: December 05, 2019, 02:08 »
I keep hearing this little voice in my head saying 0.95 springs are the hardest that fit in 38mm forks, and from a hazy memory that Shock Treatment. Not guaranteed as its years old. crenelated, thats a new word for me and that's rare

1kg ‘fit’ too but clearance will be even tighter (no physically possible to tell when inserting them).

Looking forward to the oil change test, Marty and Will running 7 so I feel like going to 10 isn’t a big risk.
1978 Laverda Jota #6041

Offline Vince

« Reply #2782 on: December 05, 2019, 03:13 »
Been there, I have tried 10 15 and 20 and from 120mm to 170mm forks collapsed and springs out and didnt see a lot of difference BUT.
It's fiddling while Rome burns if other stuff is wrong. By that, I mean oil weight and level is such a subtle change its hard to notice. compared to changing the big spring or preload on the emulator. Race Tech loves 15wt for some reason. I did notice in that tyre video he talking about rebound a lot commenting on small bouncing in the front, I have noticed I have this so might try 20wt in a while. Tried it before when I had the compression harder. As usual change one thing and it affects all the adjustments. After doing a couple of thousand ks on the new straight rate rear springs I think they might have loosened a bit, I was getting some banging, bottoming on the last day heading home from Tassie. So its 1 more click of preload and 1 up on the damping. Will check the balance then and maybe try the 20 upfront then?

Offline cbertozz

« Reply #2783 on: December 05, 2019, 03:37 »
Been there, I have tried 10 15 and 20 and from 120mm to 170mm forks collapsed and springs out and didnt see a lot of difference BUT.
It's fiddling while Rome burns if other stuff is wrong. By that, I mean oil weight and level is such a subtle change its hard to notice. compared to changing the big spring or preload on the emulator. Race Tech loves 15wt for some reason. I did notice in that tyre video he talking about rebound a lot commenting on small bouncing in the front, I have noticed I have this so might try 20wt in a while. Tried it before when I had the compression harder. As usual change one thing and it affects all the adjustments. After doing a couple of thousand ks on the new straight rate rear springs I think they might have loosened a bit, I was getting some banging, bottoming on the last day heading home from Tassie. So its 1 more click of preload and 1 up on the damping. Will check the balance then and maybe try the 20 upfront then?

Mine was running 20w but felt better with 15w.

I could ride the bike as is and be happy enough about it but I'm curious more than anything.

Want to do a spring swap? Have you got a 0.9? I will lend you my 1kg.

1978 Laverda Jota #6041

Offline Vince

« Reply #2784 on: December 05, 2019, 04:03 »
From what I read in The Green book specs section std spring was 1.2 and that was very stiff from long-ago memory. I spend most of the month long long away so probably not so keen with the spring swop as I have limited time in Sydney.

Offline cbertozz

« Reply #2785 on: December 05, 2019, 04:22 »
From what I read in The Green book specs section std spring was 1.2 and that was very stiff from long-ago memory. I spend most of the month long long away so probably not so keen with the spring swop as I have limited time in Sydney.

No worries, will let you know how the changes go.
1978 Laverda Jota #6041

Offline cbertozz

« Reply #2786 on: December 05, 2019, 05:07 »
What I find confusing is how I have now lost close to a third of my fork travel?

I can only think that the longer spring requires more preload to get it working.

1978 Laverda Jota #6041

Offline Vince

« Reply #2787 on: December 05, 2019, 05:45 »
Next time it's out measure the gaps in the coils and add them up, make sure it's not coil binding. I would have thought a longer spring would not go coil-bound compared to a shorter spring of the same rate unless the longer spring is rubbing against the leg inner. What oil level, springs and emulators out and fully compressed. To much oil could cause a hydraulic lock. Mine is 130mm, set with a turkey baster with a hard plastic tube set into it.

Offline Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #2788 on: December 05, 2019, 06:56 »
Mine is 130mm, set with a turkey baster with a hard plastic tube set into it.

Mental note to self:
Don't eat roast turkey at Vince's place. It'll taste of fork oil.

Offline Laverda SF

« Reply #2789 on: December 05, 2019, 07:10 »
Mental note to self: Don't eat roast turkey at Vince's place. It'll taste of fork oil.

Crap fork Oil, should taste of  Scotch Wiskey - Hic!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 07:12 by Laverda SF »