Author Topic: Laverda Jota Ownership, second time around. (ramblings)  (Read 202420 times)

Offline cbertozz

Re: Laverda Jota Ownership, second time around. (ramblings)
« Reply #2445 on: July 07, 2019, 04:11 »
Flaggie today as no historic classes
1978 Laverda Jota #6041
First owned in 1991, reacquired 2016.

Offline cbertozz

« Reply #2446 on: July 08, 2019, 11:33 »
Feckin steering head, honestly if I could invent something to securely tighten this exactly right I'd be a happy man. Not sure what I did wrong the last time I tightened it up!? Maybe everything needed to tweaked after new clamps or maybe I just didn't tighten it.
1978 Laverda Jota #6041

Offline Vince

« Reply #2447 on: July 08, 2019, 14:28 »
The top and bottom nuts I think must act like lock nuts and tighten against each other, the triple trees probably vary in thickness. Any changes to mine would need a few goes to get right, Not holding the bottom nut with a thin spanner would have it move when tightening the top nut, even when it's held tightening the top nut would have my final adjustment get too tight. I would have to allow some slack to get it finally right. It is a pain to do.

Offline cbertozz

« Reply #2448 on: July 09, 2019, 01:26 »
The top and bottom nuts I think must act like lock nuts and tighten against each other, the triple trees probably vary in thickness. Any changes to mine would need a few goes to get right, Not holding the bottom nut with a thin spanner would have it move when tightening the top nut, even when it's held tightening the top nut would have my final adjustment get too tight. I would have to allow some slack to get it finally right. It is a pain to do.

Yes its not rocket science just fiddly and to do it properly you have to take the wheel off. I took wheel, guard, brace and calipers off and then felt for the play, it was tiny but clearly amplified under brakes even if it wasn't obvious rolling along.

The bottom, top and even the clamp has a small impact. If it's locked up properly the top nut should keep it all in place for quite a while.
1978 Laverda Jota #6041

Offline Tippie

« Reply #2449 on: July 09, 2019, 07:11 »
I never remove anything from the front end other than for access to the adjuster and locknut, just jack up the front and make sure that nothing is restricting free swing of the front end (cables, wiring, steering stop etc). If you can actually detect movement (backwards and forwards) at the end of the forks it is way loose. If they are so tight that I can actually feel resistance in the bearings, I back them off a bit until it is free, then fully tighten the locknut - whatever system there is - and check again. Usually the locknut will press the adjuster nut down and it will be too tight again as Vince says, so I undo it and loosen a tad and nip up the adjuster again and feel it, might take a couple of goes. Same principle on a Laverda as any other bike I have done. And you are right, shouldn't need to be a regular adjustment, other than that new bearings sometimes loosen very slightly after a short time, that's why it is always an item on first service list for new bikes.
SF2 17483 (race)
SF2 17424 (road)
An Australian living near Oslo in Norway

Offline cbertozz

« Reply #2450 on: July 09, 2019, 13:20 »
I never remove anything from the front end other than for access to the adjuster and locknut, just jack up the front and make sure that nothing is restricting free swing of the front end (cables, wiring, steering stop etc). If you can actually detect movement (backwards and forwards) at the end of the forks it is way loose. If they are so tight that I can actually feel resistance in the bearings, I back them off a bit until it is free, then fully tighten the locknut - whatever system there is - and check again. Usually the locknut will press the adjuster nut down and it will be too tight again as Vince says, so I undo it and loosen a tad and nip up the adjuster again and feel it, might take a couple of goes. Same principle on a Laverda as any other bike I have done. And you are right, shouldn't need to be a regular adjustment, other than that new bearings sometimes loosen very slightly after a short time, that's why it is always an item on first service list for new bikes.

Ye I don't normally remove everything but I wanted to be 100% sure that it was the steering head and not something else.
1978 Laverda Jota #6041

Offline cbertozz

« Reply #2451 on: July 14, 2019, 01:35 »
Noticed an unsettling speed wobble feeling yesterday. Nothing big, felt like it was tyres initially but checked the pressures. The other issue might be the suspension, was playing with high speed compression on the rear. Or perhaps it's the fork brace. Apart from that the bike handles well. Note to self, stop fiddling.
1978 Laverda Jota #6041

Offline Piranha Brother 2

• It was once a 1973 750 SF1
« Reply #2452 on: July 14, 2019, 03:16 »
Note to self, stop fiddling.

Good advice, Carlo - I'd take it!  :-* Once you like the way it feels, time to leave well enough alone!
What ... leave it standard??!!

Offline Vince

« Reply #2453 on: July 14, 2019, 04:01 »
JUST        ONE       MORE       AND      IT        WILL      BE       PERFECT
I am hopefully on the home stretch, mine still is a touch harsh on square-edged bumps so it half a turn softer till I like it. I started at 4 turns and am at 3 1/2 but cannot test until I am back in Sydney, that's the blue spring. Rear-wheel bearings first tough. I also am going to release one shock at the top and see why I am not getting much travel, I have gone up in shock spring strenth and initially, it was ok but after the Oxley run I am not so sure. It seems to get super hard at 50mm of travel.

Offline cbertozz

« Reply #2454 on: July 14, 2019, 05:53 »
Also don't ride when you are feeling hungover as the bike feels completely different. (Read: bad). It's cold and blustery today - I won't miss the wind in WA, it spoils many a ride even when it's a beautiful sunny day.
1978 Laverda Jota #6041

« Reply #2455 on: July 14, 2019, 10:42 »
Also don't ride when you are feeling hungover as the bike feels completely different. (Read: bad). It's cold and blustery today - I won't miss the wind in WA, it spoils many a ride even when it's a beautiful sunny day.
And you don't even have to pedal the bloody thing, Carlo! I did 85ks on the treadlie this morning - 5 deg when I left, half the ride with a (hero) tailwind, the other half with a (cowering) headwind.

I remember riding the SF across the Nulla with about two days of very strong right shoulder headwinds, unrelenting, no flora to attenuate the wond - so many km barely changing direction - my neck ached for a week afterwards!

Offline cbertozz

« Reply #2456 on: July 14, 2019, 13:33 »
Ye fuck that, I hate cycling against the wind.
1978 Laverda Jota #6041

Offline Cosi

« Reply #2457 on: July 14, 2019, 21:47 »
I hate cycling
Hastings Point 2489 Australia

« Reply #2458 on: July 15, 2019, 06:26 »
I love cycling    :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline helicopterjim

« Reply #2459 on: July 15, 2019, 06:33 »
I love to hate cyclists.
74 SFC
72 SF
75 3C
79 (81) Formula Mirage 1200
Various Ducati's, Guzzi's, Puch's ... a BSA Sloper and maybe even an R90
I don't have a 1977 Honda XL 175

Chilliwack, British Columbia