Author Topic: 530 Chain on an RGS  (Read 1479 times)

Offline Vince

Re: 530 Chain on an RGS
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2020, 03:00 »
I guess non O ring chains have improved over the last 30 years. I do remember sitting on the side of the road 160ks west of Adelaide with a Noton wearing a broken chain after a trip from Sydney. A mate went into the city and bought a replacement chain, that lasted till the rear sprocket, that also was part of the rear brake lost its teeth at Ballarat on the way back to Sydney. It came home the rest of the way on the train. The joys of riding old clapped out bikes.

Offline Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2020, 03:53 »
It always seemed a strange thing to me that pommy bikes had the sprocket integral with the rear brake drum. I reckon if I owned one now, I'd figure out a way to separate them.

One of the best sprockets I ever bought was a plastic one (on a Kawasaki Z1B). Bloody thing lasted forever with no perceptible wear. It was also lighter than aluminium and ran quietly. They seem to have gone out of favour these days as I haven't seen one in the shops for donkey's years.

Offline motoddrob

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2020, 04:51 »
                                                     "Used to boil the chains in Duckhams but bloody hell wouldn't have dared put it in the oven (Rob) :o"

Well Peter it was the 70s and rental houses were cheap!! ;D
Motodd 1200, SFC750

Offline Piranha Brother 2

• It was once a 1973 750 SF1
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2020, 08:19 »
It always seemed a strange thing to me that pommy bikes had the sprocket integral with the rear brake drum. I reckon if I owned one now, I'd figure out a way to separate them.

One of the best sprockets I ever bought was a plastic one (on a Kawasaki Z1B). Bloody thing lasted forever with no perceptible wear. It was also lighter than aluminium and ran quietly. They seem to have gone out of favour these days as I haven't seen one in the shops for donkey's years.

I think Red once mentioned using those nylon sprockets ... IIRC, Which IPDRC  ;D . Not sure how they coped with burnouts, full-n dumping the clutch ...
What ... leave it standard??!!

Offline Paul Marx

• Les motos de Paul
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2020, 08:34 »

Not only pommy bikes.
It's the case of the smaller Laverda.

You machine the sprocket off and weld a new one on.
We change our sprockets much to often though.
I'm going from every 2 chains to every 3 on the SF2, which'll be about 60 000km.

Paul

Offline Ventodue

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2020, 09:03 »
On the recommendation of Keith Nairn I turned to Wurth dry chain lube!
It sticks like glue to the chain, doesn't coat the rear wheel and I have no detectable wear on chain or sprockets after 1000's of Km.

+1.  Not Würth - who here in France won't deal with us non-professional scum - but a motocross spray bought off Internet.

3-4 years now (i.e. 10x'000s kms), on both O-ring and non O-ring chain. Seems to work well on both  (goodjob).

But used sparingly!  And not forgetting to regularly clean off dirt and grit as well, especially after rain (e.g. the return trip from Breganze.  My, did it rain that day ...).

Offline Vince

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2020, 09:21 »
Chain cleaning, what's the consensus as too solvent and how to.

Offline motoddrob

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2020, 09:57 »
I'd probably use kero Vince
Motodd 1200, SFC750

Offline Legs

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2020, 11:41 »
Kero for me as well.

Offline Paul Marx

• Les motos de Paul
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2020, 12:30 »
Diesel works well.
Did it last year.
Paul

Offline CLEMTOG

« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2020, 16:42 »
I keep a 5 litre can of petrol/Kerosene (paraffin) mix for the purpose of chain cleaning, I remove the chain and dump it into a small tank (a central heating expansion tank, cost less than 5GBP) and then leave it for a while, scrub the thing with brushes etc, then drip dry, takes about an hour, but only about 10 mins of actual labour and I do it outside, once done, it always surprises me the grit etc in the tank, the fluid is the re-cycle via a cloth filter back into the can, probably use it six times before a top up is needed, and this is usually stale fuel from god knows what.
CLEM

Offline Laverda SF

« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2020, 19:45 »
I agree diesel fuel works just as good as kerosene but don't use verosol or something like a paint thinner.

You can rise with hot soap and water, blow dry then immediately soak the chain with a Paraffin or Silicon chain lube. Now I'm referring to rubber "O" and "X" ring chains.

"O" & "X" chains are typically wider then STD chains and usually require clearance filling in the drive chain casing plus they can get close to rubbing a wide rear tire.

Say a Paraffin lube for STD barrel chains Vs a Silicon lube for rubber ringed chains ! 

Have a friend who runs an 81 Harley 1300 FXWG whom bought the same KIWI 530 "0" ring except he bought the "X" ring when I did back then. And to no surprise we were still running the same chain some 35 years later.

He had no issues because he peened the Master Link which I did not and on 1 or 2 incidents my Master Link was about to Crap.

I went through 3 or 4 Barrel Chains through the 70's before I bought that KIWI in 81 and never had to replace it and kept the original sprockets until I sold her.

Buy the Tool and Peen that Master Link. You do NOT want to loose your leg, wreck you ride or kill yourself - HIC!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 02:36 by Laverda SF »

Offline Ventodue

« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2020, 09:21 »
Chain cleaning, what's the consensus as to solvent and how to.

KISS.

Offline Storm

• Storm
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2020, 11:04 »
Piranha Brother 2 made mention of the nylon rear sprockets and I do have some experience with them. My 1200 Mirage was fitted with one as standard equipment and one time I was having a great session repeatedly lofting the front wheel. My enjoyment was interrupted when I suddenly lost all drive. Every single tooth had been removed from that sprocket. :laugh:
'74 3C
'78 1200 Mirage
'83 RGS

Offline sfcpiet

• Administrator
  • NRW, Germany
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2020, 11:19 »
Piranha Brother 2 made mention of the nylon rear sprockets and I do have some experience with them. My 1200 Mirage was fitted with one as standard equipment and one time I was having a great session repeatedly lofting the front wheel. My enjoyment was interrupted when I suddenly lost all drive. Every single tooth had been removed from that sprocket. :laugh:

?

Don't think so, all stock Laverda sprockets were steel.

I have a limited supply of #530 nylon rear sprockets if anybody is interested. ::)

piet
180s feel quick, 120s are...      If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics"  Georg Fitch 1916