Author Topic: No one has mentioned the World Cup yet  (Read 427 times)

Offline Davo

• West of the Rabbit Proof Fence
No one has mentioned the World Cup yet
« on: July 12, 2018, 03:09 »
Ooops sorry. I just did.
1976 3CL Redaxed
Triumph Sprint
Moto Guzzi Le Mans III 850 Stucchi
Honda V Twin Fastrak hustler

Offline Paul LeClair

• Administrator
  • the older I get, the faster a rider I used to be
Re: No one has mentioned the World Cup yet
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 03:35 »
I will admit to watching he World Cup most days, even though I do not normally watch televised sports.

Great soccer, but some ridiculously embarrassingly juvenile bullshit behaviour from these idiots "taking a dive" and making a mockery of themselves pretending to be hurt, they should penalize these fakers and toss them out of the game, greatly takes away from the game in my opinion, I find myself yelling at the TV......

Paul LeClair
Paul LeClair
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
79 1200 Mirage, 82 1200 Mirage, 84 RGS Executive, and various non Laverda's

Online Vince

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 03:50 »
I stopped watching when the penalty shoot out started, hate that stupid thing with a passion. You might as well flip a coin

Offline Legs

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 03:51 »
In Aussie Rules it's called 'staging', which will get the offender a 50 metre penalty.

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 04:32 »
Watching grass grow is more entertaining & chewing glass is more fun, IMHO.
The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle there’s no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.

Offline Diablo Loco

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 05:19 »

Offline Smartv11

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 08:49 »
I certainly noticed the England car flags had all disappeared this morning when riding into London 😁

Offline SimonR501

• Lympne, Kent, UK
    • Simons Flickr site
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 09:48 »
There's nothing like a bit of schadenfreude from those that never made it thus far :D
Although I will admit that England played like 'rabbits caught in the headlights' towards the end last night and Croatia's experience definitely payed dividends.

It was indeed most satisfying that the the cheating and play-acting nations were eliminated from proceedings earlier, perhaps there is a subliminal message there for them? Something along the lines of if you actually try to play football you might get further.

So! Vive La France!
Laverda Jota 120 - 1982.
LG F1495BDA Direct Drive Washing Machine.
Black & Decker GLC3630L20 36v Cordless Telescopic Grass Trimmer.
SimonR501 Flickr Photos.http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonr501

Offline Gerald

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 11:03 »
My money is on Croatia! and yes it was good to see all the arrogant posers sent back home early on ;D
__o
_- \_<,
(*) /' (*)

Offline Laverdalothar

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 11:24 »
There's nothing like a bit of schadenfreude from those that never made it thus far :D
Although I will admit that England played like 'rabbits caught in the headlights' towards the end last night and Croatia's experience definitely payed dividends.

It was indeed most satisfying that the the cheating and play-acting nations were eliminated from proceedings earlier, perhaps there is a subliminal message there for them? Something along the lines of if you actually try to play football you might get further.

So! Vive La France!

Actually I think there is, unfortunately I also think they don't get it and will continue their bullshit. I personally would also treat any forced body injury like a criminal assault. It is really dangerous to step on others feets with these shoes and when it is obviously done with the pure attempt to hurt someone, I would at least raise a red card to this guy. OK - this would make some games end with just the goal keepers and the referees on the field, but would make the games much more watchable. To describe hurting someone by intention as a "tactical foul" is really not the best in my eyes. Who wants to continue this should play either american football or Rugby. I know that this might lead to a big disussion, but this is my point of view. I can live with it if I am the only one (or one of a few) seeing it this way, used to that...  ;D

I always favored games that separate the teams by a net (volleyball/Softball f.e.). It is much more elegant to watch and less rude, even though sometimes people get hurt, too. The actual quality of the player is much more important than any show... But then, the "masses" need their arenas and their fights. "Bred and circuses" I think the romans called it; obviously cruelty in the arena is a way to control the cruelty of the masses. So be it then... allthough the hooligans try to transport the violence of the game into the streets and even escalate it. But that is another phenomena I don't understand and I think I never will.

My family bet on England for last night though I had a feeling the Croatians will be doing better than expected. And they did. Sorry for our friends in UK, but I can also appreciate a small country like Croatia joining the World Cups final for the first time ever. We'll see how they do to against "le bleu"...  ;)
750 SF(0) 1971 #9934 *sold*
1000 SFC Classic 1989 #3367 *sold*
1000 SFC 1985 #2934 currently under restoration
1000 SFC Preproduction bike 1985 #0001 *sold*
1200 Jota 1981 #7474
750 S-Formula 2000 #1602
1000 Motoplast - currently under construction

Offline Sir Sidney Ruffdiamond

• Aged Rocker I keep banging my head
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 11:52 »
Well if you like football it was a feast  ;D - fantastic games except one France Denmark 00 draw - yes some play acting but part of the fun (Neymar will be attending senior school next year)  - VAR was also fun to watch and see decisions get reversed - for England they did better than expected so no criticism - Croatia 4 million population did well - last night could have gone either way in the first half  - only those that watched and know football would know that Lovran could have been booked twice and therefore off  ;)  ! however England missed golden opportunities in the first half to progress - ho hum no sour grapes  - To win not bothered just the team that plays better football

If you are'nt a football fan don't knock it - was a shame the Italians and Dutch were not there but they will be for the Euros !  looking forward to the next one  - incidently its seems the press got it wrong most attending apart from the exhorbitant cost had a great time and the Russians were very welcoming   8)         

Offline CLEMTOG

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2018, 12:41 »
I am not in any way a football fan, but I have always said that I would watch any sport whatsoever if it is being done at the highest level, add in a huge dollop of (my own) patriotism and I find myself watching a few games including Eng/Cro don't understand the technicalities of it, but I agree with PLC, watching a twat roll on the ground and then hold a folded leg, then get up and walk off the field doing first three normal steps and then suddenly remembering to limp the remainder???? yeah right oh, what I don't get at all, is that after the 90 minutes, if a draw exists a further 2x15  minutes are played and if that does not find a winner then the football stops and something else starts, its called "penalty shoot out" IMHO that should not happen either, because its not football, not even a team game, its something else, its one player against the opposing entire team, they should allow time for the sportsman's bodies to recover (say 24 hours) and play again, with any player having been given any kind of card being excluded from the reconvened game, cocks up the planned schedule?? so be it.

it was very good to see England get that far, would have been just about right to win this one, all things being considered.
CLEM
CLEM

Offline Davo

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2018, 14:00 »

Yeah, Nup. Can't bring myself to follow the pitiful game.

1976 3CL Redaxed
Triumph Sprint

Offline Davo

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2018, 14:11 »
Or perhaps

1976 3CL Redaxed
Triumph Sprint

Offline Simon Yates

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2018, 19:29 »
The play-acting by pitiful Portugal was shameful.
Yet one of them is worth 100M Euro's  :-\ :-\ :-\.
Rugby is for real men / Laverda riders.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 22:28 by Simon Yates »
180 S11 Jota (again)
750 Breganze
1200 Anniversary
180 S11 Jota