Author Topic: Cops in Action South of the Border  (Read 3356 times)

Offline breganzane

• SE Australia
    • Breganzane
Re: Cops in Action South of the Border
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2018, 06:40 »
The last 2mm of tread disappears at a surprising rate when off on a big ride, and can easily catch you out.  I've had that in the old days of 6 monthly pilgrimages to Phillip Island.  Modern sports tyres seem to be even more susceptible, the tyre on the back of Shane's Hypermotard went from 2mm of tread to belts showing around 75% of the perimeter within about 1500km.  Not much rubber below the minimum tread on those ones.
Various 120, 180 and 360 Laverdas - and a single.

Offline Xav

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2018, 15:12 »
got done for overtaking in austria ( solden) due to very slow car but cos i went over the line i got the fine, then set off again  and  realised it was the same place i got done the year before going to italy. i think the solid white line thing is law in france as well

Absolutely, the white line is a wall that must not be crossed; including at a crossroads. However, it is possible to overtake a bicycle, a cart or an agricultural tractor, at a certain distance from it. The opposite is forbidden (cf ligne continue).

The broken line can be crossed and allows overruns. (cf ligne discontinue).

The dashed line is a warning. She warns you arrive on a continuous line.Personally, I advise against overtaking when we arrive on this mark if there are cops around (cf ligne pointillé).

There is also this marking on the ground. A line continues next to which there is a broken line.

He who is on the side of the continuous line can not cross it, whoever is on the side of the discontinuous line may cross it for an overtaking for example, or access to a crossroads (cf marquage mixte).

And if all these lines are yellow, it is that it is a provisional marking during works on the roadway. A tip, when there are yellow stripes, reduce speed ... 

Offline GregT

« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2018, 23:58 »
Interesting reading different road marking arrangements - and police interpretations.

Here the white center line is just that - a center line or lane marking. The only time you'll get pinged for crossing it is probably riding too fast.
Yellow lines are used here for the cross/don't cross identification.

Solid yellow on your side - don't cross it.  Broken yellow your side - yes, cross it if it's safe to do so.
Two solid yellows means no crossing centerline applying to traffic in both directions.

Given the number of tourists who have head-on collisions on our roads, perhaps it should be made a tad clearer before they drive...

Online SimonR501

• Lympne, Kent, UK
    • Simons Flickr site
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2018, 08:02 »
Solid yellow on your side - don't cross it.  Broken yellow your side - yes, cross it if it's safe to do so.
Two solid yellows means no crossing centerline applying to traffic in both directions.

Given the number of tourists who have head-on collisions on our roads, perhaps it should be made a tad clearer before they drive...
Perhaps they should spend more time looking at the road ahead, rather than the lines?
Laverda Jota 120 - 1982.
LG F1495BDA Direct Drive Washing Machine.
Black & Decker GLC3630L20 36v Cordless Telescopic Grass Trimmer.
SimonR501 Flickr Photos.http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonr501

Offline GregT

« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2018, 08:15 »
Perhaps they should spend more time looking at the road ahead, rather than the lines?

The trouble is - and I can vouch for this - they are so impressed by the scenery they don't look either forward or in the mirror...

The number of times I've come up on a hire car with a full load of passengers pointing out the windows - and a driver who can barely keep it on the road. It's a sore point here in the South Island. Far too many accidents from foreign drivers.

Offline Piranha Brother 2

• It was once a 1973 SF750
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2018, 00:57 »
And must make dodging all those possums ever harder, Greg! Road kill capital of the world, NZ!
What ... leave it standard??!!

Offline GregT

« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2018, 03:59 »
And must make dodging all those possums ever harder, Greg! Road kill capital of the world, NZ!

Possibly so - I don't know what the roadkill rate is like elsewhere. Usually see a rabbit or two and the odd possum on the road going in to town - I'm about 80km out. At least we still have the wildlife running free here.

Offline Piranha Brother 2

• It was once a 1973 SF750
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2018, 12:02 »
Was driving around Fokopapa (how the hell do you write that!?!? ... yes it sound a lot like ...) and saw about 10 dead possums every km. Was early 90s - maybe they're all dead and made into socks now  8).

In the Northern Territory when water buffalo used to roam free (eliminated due to hoofs damaging the enviro), there were some enormous corpses to be seen (and SMELT!!) by the roadside - not to mention kangas by the score.
What ... leave it standard??!!

Online SimonR501

• Lympne, Kent, UK
    • Simons Flickr site
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2018, 13:10 »
Was driving around Fokopapa (how the hell do you write that!?!? ... yes it sound a lot like ...) and saw about 10 dead possums every km. Was early 90s - maybe they're all dead and made into socks now  8).
Perhaps they learnt to look left and right before crossing? The ones that didn't got flattened!

Darwinism in action!
Laverda Jota 120 - 1982.
LG F1495BDA Direct Drive Washing Machine.
Black & Decker GLC3630L20 36v Cordless Telescopic Grass Trimmer.
SimonR501 Flickr Photos.http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonr501

Offline Xav

« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2018, 19:11 »
By my home, it's the badgers that are flattened. But also, there are also accidents with wild boars and deer ... + rabbits of course.   :D

Offline helicopterjim

« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2018, 20:13 »
74 SFC
72 SF
75 3C
79 (81) Formula Mirage 1200
Various Ducati's, Guzzi's, Puch's ... a BSA Sloper and maybe even an R90
I don't have a 1977 Honda XL 175

Chilliwack, British Columbia

Offline helicopterjim

« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2018, 20:17 »

74 SFC
72 SF
75 3C
79 (81) Formula Mirage 1200
Various Ducati's, Guzzi's, Puch's ... a BSA Sloper and maybe even an R90
I don't have a 1977 Honda XL 175

Chilliwack, British Columbia

Offline Davo

• West of the Rabbit Proof Fence
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2018, 07:12 »
In the Northern Territory when water buffalo used to roam free (eliminated due to hoofs damaging the enviro), there were some enormous corpses to be seen (and SMELT!!) by the roadside - not to mention kangas by the score.

Still plenty buffalo to go round http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2018-04-19/search-for-buffalo-head-after-serious-car-crash-nt/9662346
1976 3CL Redaxed
Triumph Sprint
Moto Guzzi Le Mans III 850 Stucchi
Honda V Twin Fastrak hustler

Offline sweetas

• in context....
79 Jota - No. 6256

Opinions are the medium between knowledge and ignorance...   Plato

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2018, 10:48 »
I remember driving a hire car in Illinois, hwy I52 or something like that, and there was a cop car pulled another car up on the side of the road. I just kept in the slow lane, and all the other cars moved to the fast lane.... what the fuck?

Every other car inhibitant stared at me like I was an alien. Further down the road I saw a billboard that said for remaining in the slow lane when the cops had their party lights on, could result in a $14,000 fine or six months in jail ...... hello, my Visa would have expired, big time!
The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle there’s no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.