Author Topic: Loading on a trailer  (Read 1205 times)

Offline Davo

• West of the Rabbit Proof Fence
Re: Loading on a trailer
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 03:23 »

"Closed for winter: call back in May': MAY??? :o :o  Easy life.. ::)

Well it is a US site, looking at all the fat pigs being loaded, and the trailer is not to my knowledge available in OZ but it sure looks like it would be easy enough to fabricate.
1976 3CL Redaxed
Triumph Sprint
Moto Guzzi Le Mans III 850 Stucchi
Honda V Twin Fastrak hustler

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2018, 03:28 »
I rather like the look of this trailer. No ramps required http://www.razortrailer.com/

I like it too, I reckon we could drag Cam out of retirement to bang up a few of these.
The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle there’s no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.

Offline Cosi

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2018, 06:51 »
Buy a van.....
Hastings Point 2489 Australia

Offline Laverdalothar

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2018, 08:02 »
I rather like the look of this trailer. No ramps required http://www.razortrailer.com/

That looks like a very smart system!  :o

I have a trailer for 3 bikes. The base was originally designed to transport horses, so it is quite robust the platform is almost on the hight of the wheel axle center (slightly above). It is 2,45m wide, which is roughly 40cm wider than my Audi A6 Allroad...  ??? Not easy to when you get into this narrow lines on high ways where they are working on a part of the road and slimed down the lines therefore...

But else, it is easy to load. Best if you have the road goes a bit downward. In that case, I put the Audi's Air-suspension on the highest setting while having the car with the trailer facing down the hill. Now the 2,50 ramp comes into play and offers an almost horizontal way on to the trailer...

Even if the road is horizontal, lifting the front of the trailer helps to avoid the bike getting stuck at the edge between ramp and trailer.

On the front, I have these tire-clamps so once on the trailer, you simply push it into the clamp and it stands alone already, ready to get strapped down. Easy. And as the trailer is so low, you do not have any issue walking aside of the bike while pushing it on or off the trailer.

So - if anyone on here lives close to cologne and needs a trailer - just send me a message. I would love to have made use of the tires at least once before I have to bin them... (German regulations say: if you want to go 100km/h with the trailer, you have to have tires no older than 6 years. I use the trailer 1-2 times a year and the tires have maybe 5.000 - 10.000 km on them when I have to bin them...  >:D)
750 SF(0) 1971 #9934 *sold*
1000 SFC Classic 1989 #3367 *sold*
1000 SFC 1985 #2934 currently under restoration
1000 SFC Preproduction bike 1985 #0001 *sold*
1200 Jota 1981 #7474
750 S-Formula 2000 #1602
1000 Motoplast - currently under construction

Offline Simon Yates

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2018, 10:10 »
I have got a Motolug single trailer which can be upgraded to a twin bike trailer AND comes apart for ease of storage.
http://www.bits4motorbikes.co.uk/Motorbike-Trailer/Foldable-motorbike-trailer.html
This is important as we aim to downsize in the future.
180 S11 Jota (again)
750 Breganze
1200 Anniversary
180 S11 Jota

Offline Grant

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2018, 11:05 »
I thought about Motolug trailers but they state you shouldn't tow the trailer unladen, has to be dismantled and loaded in the back of the car for travelling, and only suitable for towing when a bike is on it.
Otherwise I think it would shake itself to bits.
www.clublaverda.com
Check out the daily blog

Offline CLEMTOG

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2018, 11:41 »
Those Motolug trailers look like they are going to shake themselves to bits with or without a bike on them, leaves me with a scary feeling,
but one of my own home made multi task trailers is a three biker, its been seen in Breganze twice and both times it carried two 1200's and the first time a 200 as well, but whilst travelling home from Breganze last July, a wheel almost broke free, DoC and I had gone through a horrendous pot hole some miles earlier and we later discovered one ratchet strap had snapped holding down TOG, that was not a drama as I use four (who doesn't?), and had a spare, but (probably) I didnt notice that the nut centred wheels (ex Mini autograsser) had shifted and the nuts were loose, later (in Switzerland) we heard an increasing banging sound, so stopped to find .......

a broken stud and obviously the nut gone
two other badly damaged studs and no nuts there either
the last one fairly OK and a single nut remaining but very loose,

Impending doom, this was fixed by tightening up the remaining nut, "borrowing" one from the other side and then limping to a Swiss Friends house (Patrick F) where we managed to remove a stud from the OK side, replace it with a 10mm bolt and with two 10mm bolts as temporary hole fillers and two wheel nuts with  the other side bodged as well, we managed the 600+ mile journey home.
PHEW is all I can say.

But in defence that trailer is 30+ years old, has been used extensively, has been to Italy twice, Spain three times and has probably covered more miles heavily loaded than a normal trailer would do in 200 years
CLEM

Offline Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2018, 23:56 »

Clever idea. I hope the tray locks in the raised position. If it were to drop down at 100kph it would become a motorcycle catapult.

(PS: Just watched the video - yes, it has locking pins.)

Offline drikko

• Brisvegas
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2018, 01:18 »
Do not try using that trailer and ramp on a Laverda, you will soon learn what happens mid load when you run out of ground clearance. They case out unless you have a much longer ramp, especially with a high trailer. I bought a folding ramp that's 2.4m long fully out. You would be lucky to get a Laverda in a 6x4 even diagonally with the wheel inside the tailgate. Had more than my share of Laverda trailering.

An Rgs fits diagonally perfectly and the back gate shuts if you let a bit of air out of the rear tyre.
Rgs1000 '83
Triumph Sprint ST1050
Cosi prefers crow eaters....
Breville Sandwich Maker

DISCLAIMER:- Anything I say may have been when I was sober so please don't take it personally.
'Bigamy is having one wife/husband too many. Monogamy is the same.' Oscar Wilde

Offline Vince

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2018, 02:41 »
That's a surprise, took me ages to find a 7fter so I could fit more than one bike. If you don't have the parking those fold up trailers look good. I was part owners of a 4 bike trailer that was such a pain in the arse. Just 4 channels,no base, we would take 4 bikes on a 2 and 3 day camping trips and carrying camping gear would take hours to strap in. Pissed that off and bought a 7x4 box trailer that I had hot dip galled, was amazed at the weight the galvanising added but it has been parked in the weather for the last 10 years and zero rust. Added heaps of tie down points and jerry can mounts. Love my box trailer, you can move rubbish, sand, building material or even 3 motorbikes if you 69er the middle one.

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2018, 04:01 »
Love my box if you 69er the middle one.

Vince, I only read the start and end of your posts ;)
The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle there’s no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.