Author Topic: Winter Olympics  (Read 727 times)

Offline drikko

• Brisvegas
Winter Olympics
« on: February 20, 2018, 09:42 »
I thought rugby was hard.  Ice hockey is insane!
Rgs1000 '83
Triumph Sprint ST1050
Cosi prefers crow eaters....
Breville Sandwich Maker

DISCLAIMER:- Anything I say may have been when I was sober so please don't take it personally.
'Bigamy is having one wife/husband too many. Monogamy is the same.' Oscar Wilde

Offline Vince

Re: Winter Olympics
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 09:56 »
My favourite bit was the woman championship winning snowboarder, who entered the Skiing Super G. Ranked 40th in the world she is the fastest, razor's edge all the way and stops at the bottom with a stunned look on her face, needed the camera bloke to tell her she has won the gold. Still needed more convincing minutes later.Love to see the best in the world beaten by a low ranked blowin who just gives it all. Brillant bit of telly.

Offline Laverdalothar

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 12:06 »
+1  ;)
750 SF(0) 1971 #9934 *sold*
1000 SFC Classic 1989 #3367 *sold*
1000 SFC 1985 #2934 currently under restoration
1000 SFC Preproduction bike 1985 #0001 *sold*
1200 Jota 1981 #7474
750 S-Formula 2000 #1602
1000 Motoplast - currently under construction

Offline nick7

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 13:08 »
I am in the process of having skiing lessons..part dry slope ,occasional indoor snow slope...cant get the weight thing on the lower ski to turn..but when i watch the downhill their skis dont even seem to touch the bloody snow for long in the slowmotion playbacks! Learning isnt easy and i dont like it...but got to be done. Its a week by week improvement...asked instructress how long she has ski d    .....since she was 3! Hmm  unrealistic to rock up and be Franz Klamer😁

Offline Vince

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 13:41 »
There is an exercise that I learned that helps a lot called Praise Ala, as you traverse across the slope heading across and left with both hands touching your downhill knee on the downhill side, when you want to turn the other way you lift both hands high up and over to your other knee while initiating the turn down the fall line  and right.Helps a lot with the weight transfer, looks stupid but works great.Leave your poles when doing this.Its way easier with the new parabolic skis, point your toes and around you come.As usual easy to say, hard to do.The biggest issue I used to have was not pushing my hand forward after the pole plant, takes you out of the correct posture, and effects your shoulders knees and hips, one tiny thing effects so much.I had never seen snow till I was 18, went 3 weekends and just couldn't get it, the last weekend was going to be it. No control snowploughing at speed, and then it clicked. It's an expensive addiction.It helps a lot to have friends who instruct.Nothing like high-speed GS turns on super cold groomed corduroy, my favourite thing after smooth tarmac on the Laverda.

Offline nick7

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 13:47 »
Thanks Vince, that gives me hope...though havent used poles yet. 😁

Offline Davo

• West of the Rabbit Proof Fence
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 14:05 »
Watched about 10 seconds of artistic ice skating. Nothing that couldn't be improved by the addition of a polar bear onto the ice.

Crikey, anything that requires someones opinion as a judge for medals should be chucked from the games. Highest, longest, strongest, fastest are OK, chuck the rest. And that goes for the summer games as well
1976 3CL Redaxed
Triumph Sprint
Moto Guzzi Le Mans III 850 Stucchi
Honda V Twin Fastrak hustler

Offline drikko

• Brisvegas
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 16:08 »
Completely agree Davo, same with the stupid floor gymnastics in the summer games...
Rgs1000 '83
Triumph Sprint ST1050
Cosi prefers crow eaters....
Breville Sandwich Maker

DISCLAIMER:- Anything I say may have been when I was sober so please don't take it personally.
'Bigamy is having one wife/husband too many. Monogamy is the same.' Oscar Wilde

Offline Legs

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 21:12 »
Totally agree Davo and Drikko, get rid of subjective events, had a gutfull of watching skate boarders in the half-pipe or jumps.
Love watching the alpine events: downhill, super g, gs, and slalom, closest thing to MotoGP.

Offline Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 23:07 »
I'm with you guys. Apart from the subjective judging of figure skating, it's as boring as bat shit to watch. And why do they play stupid music throughout the performance? It's not as if they're dancing in time to it. It doesn't seem to have any relevance to anything.

I like the mad fast stuff. Alpine skiing, Bob-sled, Luge, etc. Looks like a whole lot of fun, as long as you don't kill yourself.

Those guys in the giant slalom are leaning further than MotoGP riders in the turns. It must hurt slapping into those fucking whippy flags all the way down the slalom course. Imagine if they had them at every turn apex in MotoGP - ouch! :o

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 00:24 »

Those guys in the giant slalom are leaning further than MotoGP riders in the turns. It must hurt slapping into those fucking whippy flags all the way down the slalom course. Imagine if they had them at every turn apex in MotoGP - ouch! :o

Back in the day, we used to have white rubber poles sticking out of the ground on the inside line of the Speedway tracks. Myrtleford had them and it was a very fast track, egg shaped, 880Mt, from memory, whereas most tracks were oval 440Mt. Whacking one of those with your left leg as you were 2/3rds through 'the long corner', was like kicking a kangaroo tail at 120 mph. I really liked that track, because it was egg shaped, but 'the long corner' was so fast the fence came up real quick, not for the faint hearted.
The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle theres no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.

Offline Davo

• West of the Rabbit Proof Fence
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 02:39 »
You want pain from being whipped - get a greyhound and cop a lashing tail in the nether regions.   :laugh:
1976 3CL Redaxed
Triumph Sprint
Moto Guzzi Le Mans III 850 Stucchi
Honda V Twin Fastrak hustler

Offline Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 02:54 »
Being beaten up by penguins isn't much fun either. They're cranky little buggers in the nesting season. Their flippers are like planks of wood and they pummel your shins with surprising force at a rate of about 5 hits per second. A few angry penguins on the ice rink would make the figure skating a lot more interesting.

Offline Legs

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 04:40 »
Just watched the women's downhill. RESPECT

Offline Vince

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 04:47 »
Ozzie girl did great, her and her Dad. Big team on the hill.