Author Topic: Triple frame identity  (Read 1374 times)

Offline ackie

Triple frame identity
« on: February 12, 2018, 10:41 »
This is supposedly a 1976 frame. 3CL, but has a number of mods, engine number 4506.
A bracket has been welded over the frame number making it hard to identify correctly. Has the footpeg mounting point been removed to install bracket or are there some frames without it, can't see removal marks.
I do not know why the bracket was put there probably makes very little difference.
Has the forward mount for a shock been added or is it possibly factory, if the frame is 76 then hardly factory.

Ackie

Offline maurice turner

Re: Triple frame identity
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 11:11 »
Hi Ackie I have just dealt with a similar issue regarding bracing at the swinging arm pivot support plates that were welded over the engine number.
With as much care as I could I managed to remove the gussets to expose the frame number only to find that water had become trapped in there corroding the numbers quite a bit.
Although certain replacement frames had both shock mount positions I dont think that''s what yours is, I would suggest someone has cut the footrest mounts off.
81 Jota*7604*

Offline Davo

• West of the Rabbit Proof Fence
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 11:21 »
76 frame about 500 before yours

1976 3CL Redaxed
Triumph Sprint
Moto Guzzi Le Mans III 850 Stucchi
Honda V Twin Fastrak hustler

Offline breganzane

• SE Australia
    • Breganzane
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 13:11 »
The front shock mounts are not factory.
I would think the footpeg mounts have been removed, they left them on right through to end of 81, long after they'd stopped using the forward pegs.
I would do as Maurice did and try very carefully to reveal the original plate underneath.
I have 4504 BTW!  :)
Various 120, 180 and 360 Laverdas - and a single.

Offline CLEMTOG

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 18:14 »
the bit that can be seen is not the chassis number but most of the homologation number,
+1 with Maurice, carefully removed the extra bit, in that area it only works if you double the shape of the gusset and have about 20mm between the existing and the extra, there is more to it than that, but you get the picture.
CLEM

Offline ackie

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 21:30 »
Thanks all, confirmed what I thought. at some time it will be stripped down and I will remove it then.

The frame had been straightened, the steering head gusseted and the other work done then.

The mob who did the RWC used the number you see as the VIN. I hope nobody else has used it when I go to register it this week or I could be in for a bit more work than I thought.

Steve, was that the one you rode on the high country ride recently. Looks like you got home OK no more moments!!

Neil

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 21:48 »
This is supposedly a 1976 frame 3CL.
Has the footpeg mounting point been removed to install bracket or are there some frames without it, can't see removal marks.

Ackie

The more I look, the more I wonder how they could have removed the boss'.
Sure, the added plate may be covering up a big half a hole, but the radius of the forward radius at the bottom of the bracket doesn't seem to
coinside with the other picture which has the boss.

I removed the boss' on my SF frame, and it was a bugger of a job, and as pointed out there are no tell tale marks etc that are visible in the picture ......... curious.
The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle there’s no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.

Offline Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 22:22 »
Strange way to brace the swing arm area.

Maurice, your original frame number can be recovered even if it's rusted beyond recognition. I did a recovery job on a Honda where the frame number had been ground off. It's simply a matter of grinding and polishing the area smooth and chemically etching it to bring out the number. I used cupric chloride as the etching chemical which worked pretty well. It gave a nice image of the number (photo below)

I can give you a detailed procedure if you wanna have a go at it.

Once you have the number, you can re-stamp it and the registration authorities will never know it's been messed with. Although it would pay to keep a photo record of the procedure if they do ask questions.

Online Cosi

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 00:22 »
4052 76 3cl
Hastings Point 2489 Australia

Offline chrisk

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 00:40 »

Once you have the number, you can re-stamp it and the registration authorities will never know it's been messed with. Although it would pay to keep a photo record of the procedure if they do ask questions.

And is this where we dip the receipt in the teapot, to make look aged?  ;)

The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle there’s no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.

Offline Davo

• West of the Rabbit Proof Fence
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 02:04 »
Looks like they chopped off the lift handle as well.
1976 3CL Redaxed
Triumph Sprint
Moto Guzzi Le Mans III 850 Stucchi
Honda V Twin Fastrak hustler

Offline treoleileagh

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 12:09 »
Hmmm the PO had mine registered in Vic (club rego) using only the compliance sequence.

Offline Laverdaton

• Laverda LH4
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 13:32 »
I have 4091...quite close

Online Paul Marx

• Les motos de Paul
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 22:15 »
You can X ray the frame, will show the numbers.
Did that with a frame I had. Turned up with it in hospital where I worked.
The X ray showed that it didn't have any numbers before the ones obviously stamped later. Maybe an ex works SFC frame.

Paul

Offline chrisk

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 23:32 »
You can X ray the frame, will show the numbers.
Did that with a frame I had. Turned up with it in hospital where I worked.
The X ray showed that it didn't have any numbers before the ones obviously stamped later. Maybe an ex works SFC frame.

Paul

8) Great idea! I just ordered a pair of x-ray glasses as advertised on the back of my 1971 Donald Duck Comic.