Author Topic: Building a garage workshop for the motorcycle hobby?  (Read 2530 times)

Offline henrywillms

• my corsa with exec bits
Re: Building a garage workshop for the motorcycle hobby?
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2017, 18:00 »
Paul, the only way to heat a garage in Canada is a heated concrete flour. Boiler can be gas or electric depending on the utility rates...Alberta I am sure it is gas. Heat is nice and even, floor warm and minimal heat loss when door is open.  The one time capital costs more than offset by the savings from the operating costs for power.

As to space, two things. If you can, use open truss design so that instead of flat ceiling you have a vaulted one. May require a cross beam to hold top of walls depending on size of building. This gives you more headroom and option for a storage loft. Once you maximize your garage, then consider a separate shed for storage of parts, bikes etc. Based on a city lot you may need to have a rear garage door as well to get access.

Lastly with Calgary being hilly, do you have an option for access to the basement to act as another workplace via a sliding patio door or double set of doors. This is ok for "clean jobs" . A buddy of mine had this and it was good for certain jobs. 

Offline Canuck750

« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2017, 18:51 »
Paul, the only way to heat a garage in Canada is a heated concrete flour. Boiler can be gas or electric depending on the utility rates...Alberta I am sure it is gas. Heat is nice and even, floor warm and minimal heat loss when door is open.  The one time capital costs more than offset by the savings from the operating costs for power.

As to space, two things. If you can, use open truss design so that instead of flat ceiling you have a vaulted one. May require a cross beam to hold top of walls depending on size of building. This gives you more headroom and option for a storage loft. Once you maximize your garage, then consider a separate shed for storage of parts, bikes etc. Based on a city lot you may need to have a rear garage door as well to get access.

Lastly with Calgary being hilly, do you have an option for access to the basement to act as another workplace via a sliding patio door or double set of doors. This is ok for "clean jobs" . A buddy of mine had this and it was good for certain jobs.

I would argue against in-floor heating unless a supplemental heat source is provided to offset the major heat loss when a garage door is opened. In my professional life (Architectural practice here in Alberta) we design a lot of large service shops for vehicles, in floor heating is either love it or hate it, and in all cases we add gas fired radiant heat units above overhead doors. The cost of in slab heating and the required boiler maintenance is not worth it in my opinion with the availability of high efficiency gas fired small ceiling hung heaters. In slab heating is a very low grade heat that takes a very ling time to recover when introduced to a blast of -20C air. Many mechanics do not like the hot floor to stand on but just as many like it, can't please everyone. The cost electric heating is prohibitive in Alberta unless in a remote location where natural gas is unavailable.

As for the attic space, just order attic roof trusses, I installed these twenty years ago in my garage and have a 52 lbs per square foot loading, the bottom chord is 2 x 8 and the span is 2o feet with an 8/12 pitch I have five feet of head room in the attic. The up cost for an attic truss is minimal and the cheapest way to gain space if the zoning bylaw supports the roof height.
72 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
73 Moto Guzzi V7 Sport
73 Laverda SF1
74 Benelli 650 Tornado
74 Moto Guzzi 750S
77 Moto Guzzi Lemans
78 Moto Morini 500
93 Guzzi 1000S
2008 KLR650
2015 KLR650
2016 BMW K1600 GTL

Offline sonicboom500

« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2017, 10:51 »
Friends who both had Hillclimbers had a house that was built at the front of a long narrow plot.
Fitted a rear door in their garage to allow them to drive the transport van and trailer through to another garage and hard standing built at the rear of the plot. 

Workbench on locking castors and tool Roll cab went back in front of insulated rear door when not in use.

My nephew has just bought a house with a similar set up. It has an attached double garage with single doors almost filling the width of the plot.
One has a rear door to allow the previous owner to drive their off-roaders through to their covered storage, even has a sumped washdown space beside the rear patio.

Offline henrywillms

• my corsa with exec bits
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2017, 16:10 »
Re in-floor heating....here on the Canadian prairies with our extreme cold (-30 to -40 lows at night in winter are common) in- floor heating is used to keep the building at say 10C or 50F. Then we use a more conventional heater (you can now use a smaller one) to heat the air to top up the air temp to say 20C/70F and to quickly replace the heat lost when the doors are opened. In Calgary it is much warmer and since Paul is not likely to be opening the overhead doors many times a day perhaps it is overkill for this type of system.  Good update on the truss design, again with our high winds where I am (the nearest tree to the west maybe in Banff, 1000km away) wind factor on unsupported walls is considered in certain designs on large walls. Starting with a clean sheet of paper for a workshop is exciting, but there are always limitations and challenges....space and money!!!

Online Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2017, 01:21 »
... here on the Canadian prairies with our extreme cold (-30 to -40 lows at night in winter are common) ... (the nearest tree to the west maybe in Banff, 1000km away)

Jeez Henry. I thought Calgary was at the end of the earth.

Offline Vince

« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2017, 01:25 »
Interesting comment re wind load, since Cyclone Tracy blew a whole city down wind load in Oz is applied to all house construction. Its a very high rate up north in Cyclone country and reducing as you go south. And ramping up in certain examples, open land with no wind brakes it goes up. You don't hear of many roofs being blown off as when I was a kid. But its raised the costs of building quite a lot, same as the bushfire mitigation stuff as well.

Offline Canuck750

« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2017, 03:33 »
Jeez Henry. I thought Calgary was at the end of the earth.

It is  ;D
72 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
73 Moto Guzzi V7 Sport
73 Laverda SF1
74 Benelli 650 Tornado
74 Moto Guzzi 750S
77 Moto Guzzi Lemans
78 Moto Morini 500
93 Guzzi 1000S
2008 KLR650
2015 KLR650
2016 BMW K1600 GTL

Offline helicopterjim

« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2017, 04:18 »
It is  ;D

Edmonton is a Yukon city ......... their's a Uke on every corner!
74 SFC
72 SF
75 3C
79 (81) Formula Mirage 1200
Various Ducati's, Guzzi's, Puch's ... a BSA Sloper and maybe even an R90
I don't have a 1977 Honda XL 175

Chilliwack, British Columbia

Offline Canuck750

« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2017, 04:43 »
Edmonton is a Yukon city ......... their's a Uke on every corner!

HEY I resemble that comment! :laugh:
72 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
73 Moto Guzzi V7 Sport
73 Laverda SF1
74 Benelli 650 Tornado
74 Moto Guzzi 750S
77 Moto Guzzi Lemans
78 Moto Morini 500
93 Guzzi 1000S
2008 KLR650
2015 KLR650
2016 BMW K1600 GTL

Offline helicopterjim

« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2017, 05:05 »
HEY I resemble that comment! :laugh:

(joker) (laughing)
74 SFC
72 SF
75 3C
79 (81) Formula Mirage 1200
Various Ducati's, Guzzi's, Puch's ... a BSA Sloper and maybe even an R90
I don't have a 1977 Honda XL 175

Chilliwack, British Columbia

Offline Davo

• West of the Rabbit Proof Fence
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2017, 12:02 »
Double car garage will be about 7m (23ft) square. 49m2 is not a whole lot of space given the number of bikes you own and the equipment you want to house. If your height limit is 15'2" you could design an overhead storage space. If not a floor over the whole area then maybe a mezzanine. That'll get a lot of stuff off the workshop floor giving you more room to work.

Actually the std double garage in WA from any of the shed suppliers is 6m x 6m. So 36m2. Not much room at all. The shed I had built is 15m x 6m (12m x 6m internal with a 3m x 6m open area at the front for washing stuff down out of the sun) and it feels too small. 9m wide would have given far more space for turning bikes around and not having to move other stuff to do so.

Thinking of buying something similar to this
1976 3CL Redaxed
Triumph Sprint
Moto Guzzi Le Mans III 850 Stucchi
Honda V Twin Fastrak hustler

Offline redax5

• Administrator
  • All 81's, a fine year indeed
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2017, 12:49 »
started off with a 12m x 12m workshop which I never thought I would fill but easily did that in less than 2 years and then it overflowed badly
now have 24m x 12m workshop that should have solved the issue of spare space but FFS, it is already overflowing again  :o
have engines stacked on top of each other trying to free up space, had another 3 x 750 engines arrive in the last 4 days to add to the ever growing backlog

Redax Drilling Consultants, confirmed Laverda tragic's
near Brisbane, Australia

Offline Vince

« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2017, 13:22 »
That Dolly is similar to the gadget my cousin and I made except mine works with the centrestand holding both wheels off the ground and it can do 360 pivots in its own wheelbase. It can be scary dropping off it but its really handy in my tiny shed.

Online Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2017, 23:09 »
When I read the words "Motorcycle Dolly", I had a mental image of Dolly Parton on a bike  :D

Offline Davo

• West of the Rabbit Proof Fence
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2017, 03:25 »
When I read the words "Motorcycle Dolly", I had a mental image of Dolly Parton on a bike  :D

Be a bit top heavy, maybe the triple was modelled on her  :laugh:
1976 3CL Redaxed
Triumph Sprint
Moto Guzzi Le Mans III 850 Stucchi
Honda V Twin Fastrak hustler