Author Topic: Zappa in Australia!!?  (Read 2694 times)

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
Re: Zappa in Australia!!?
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2018, 07:09 »
 :o Scratched it ..... FFS, don't ever crash it then!
The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle there’s no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.

Offline AndyW

• Adelaide
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2018, 11:24 »
Yea Drikko,
Good to catch up and see such a talent. Dweezil and all his band, but those ladies were a standout.
One of the best concerts I have gone to in many a while.
If you get the chance while he is down here lads, don't miss it..
Tivoli was perfect venue as well... and they had the George behind the bar.. :P

8)

Top gig here in Adelaide last night too: even Anna liked it which was a surprise/relief.. :D

Was a little disappointed they didn't play some of the more famous stuff though figured perhaps Dweezil isn't quite into singing or perhaps doesn't have the confidence to sing his Pa's lyrics for some reason: pity if so. Certainly the best gig I've seen in Australia in a long while.

8)
'71 TR6 Tiger, '73 X-75, '73 3C, '74 3C, '75 SF2, '75 850T3 Cal, '75 T160V, '78 Mirage, '80 Darmah, '82 TR7/T, '83 Tenere, '97 XRV750, 2017 MV F3 (Ago edition)

Offline Lav the impala

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2018, 12:17 »

Awesome show in Melbourne Saturday night, fantastic sounds from only a six piece band. Dweezil  played a lot of the early numbers from the 60’s and early 70’s that got me into frank and the mothers, he is restricted by a long running family feud on what he can play, plus the fact that frank wrote so much material.

Kendall the trumpet player sang “I’m so cute” which she is and normally plays with the Aussie Zappa cover band “Petulant Frenzy”. 3 men and 3 women pumped out the sounds of a ten piece band with ease, the ladies performed most of the vocals and Sheila Gonzales must be one of the best saxophonists I have ever seen and heard.

They played from 9:15 till 11:50, Awesome show, awesome sounds and an oarsome venue at the Forum.
Well worth the money and the 350km to get there.

Jacko.

Offline AndyW

• Adelaide
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2018, 08:33 »
Agreed on the girls for best sax and being cute (incidentally that was the only track I recognised!)

I gather from what I’ve read on the internet that Dweezil has a somewhat dysfunctional family and that he’s been at loggerheads with his mother and other members of the family in respect of his playing/broadcast rights of Frank’s music. I really didn’t know and am shocked to hear it extended to them vetting his playlists :o :o . I guess the clue to where he’s at now is in the title of the tour “Dweezil plays what the fuck he likes’  ;D ;D
I wish him well and look forward to his next visit!
AndyW 8)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 09:41 by AndyW »
'71 TR6 Tiger, '73 X-75, '73 3C, '74 3C, '75 SF2, '75 850T3 Cal, '75 T160V, '78 Mirage, '80 Darmah, '82 TR7/T, '83 Tenere, '97 XRV750, 2017 MV F3 (Ago edition)

Offline Tippie

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2018, 08:44 »
I wondered why he had called the tour by that name. There was a major Zappa festival in Germany somewhere that had to be cancelled because the “family” wanted too much control over what the cover bands could play.
SF2 17483 (race)
SF2 17424 (road)
An Australian living near Oslo in Norway

Offline drikko

• Brisvegas
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2018, 10:52 »
Sounds a bit like the not the Barry FOS....
Rgs1000 '83
Triumph Sprint ST1050
Cosi prefers crow eaters....
Breville Sandwich Maker

DISCLAIMER:- Anything I say may have been when I was sober so please don't take it personally.
'Bigamy is having one wife/husband too many. Monogamy is the same.' Oscar Wilde

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2018, 22:00 »
Sounds a bit like the not the Barry FOS....

That sounds like interesting music..... motorbikes screaming around a track, at full chorus.
The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle there’s no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.