Author Topic: Modding the OMG copy of Paioli plastic lever taps  (Read 834 times)

Offline Brett

As am having issues with the BAP taps esp on the FCR carbed bikes ( FCR's have smaller float bowls so need more flow out of the taps ) looked around for a decent replacement.
Got a set of the Paioli copies made by OMG but when they arrived found that they are real nicely made and give great flow however the down side was off on the left tap was lever back instead of forward like the right hand tap.
Now I am a lever forward is off type guy,  as all my bikes are this way, so I dont want to be thinking which way a tap is for off.. Conrods are too damn expensive to have to worry about shit like that.

So as I had a good few hours to think over the weekend decided instead of complaining as the taps apart from that are well made and have good flow decided to solve the problem.

As soon as I pulled the taps apart found the problem, they only make one type of shut off valve so hence why off is one way one side and the other way the others side. If I simply reversed it then off would be forward but on would have to be up instead of down so thought about it on Monday and presto the solution was easy as 1,2,3.  Just have to mirror the cut on the valve on the other side of it and should work.

Was going to use the mill and measure and slowly work but as I had a Silca Matrix sitting there ( used for cutting lazer keys ) thought would put it to use.

First thing was to custom made a jaw to hold the valve to be cut in the correct position then mounted up the guide valve on the trace side and the valve to be recut on the cutting side, use the set up lights to ensure both were spot on in position and then was a simple matter of mirroring the other side with the right size cutting tip and then refitting.
Had to swap the hose as now the on and reserve feeds were different locations and all working so as had bought two sets, did the other left hand tap also. Now have two set of taps which both turn off with lever forward, so  only job left is to change the wording on the plates to reflect the new positions... have a plan for that might not be as pretty but will serve the purpose. Then it will be job done, fit to bike and move on to next project.

New taps off is in two different directions.

Inside the tap and how the valve works

Setting second one up in the Matrix

Setting up valve to be cut spot on.

Valve after cutting

Cut valve ready to be refitted

Hose swapped over

Job done.. both taps now off lever forward.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 13:06 by Brett »
Sitting on the fence 120 or 180 that is the question ?

Offline Paul H

Re: Modding the OMG copy of Paioli plastic lever taps
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 13:57 »
Greats tuff. Completely over the top and bang-on solution. Now that's what I call satisfaction. Looking forward to the laser cut and engraved cover plates  ;)

Offline Yogi

• Wamberal NSW Australia
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 14:08 »
Well done, Brett - you put that mind of yours to great use.  Another problem solved for all Laverda owners.
Proud to have you as a friend.

Yogi
Yogi

1973 750 SF1 #15300
1974 750 SF2 #16555
1979 600 Barcelona Replica
1981 1200 Mirage #3341
1988 OR600 Atlas Series 3
1972 Yamaha TR3/TZB 350

Offline AndyW

• Adelaide
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 03:54 »
Noice...
'71 TR6 Tiger, '73 X-75, '73 3C, '74 3C, '75 SF2, '75 850T3 Cal, '75 T160V, '78 Mirage, '80 Darmah, '82 TR7/T, '83 Tenere, '97 XRV750, 2017 MV F3 (Ago edition)

Offline Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 04:09 »
That's strange. Last time I bought a pair of those taps (for my Benelli) they came in left and right versions with both handles pointing the same direction for off.

That was a few years ago. Maybe they've cut costs and just make the one type now.

Offline Davo

• West of the Rabbit Proof Fence
1976 3CL Redaxed
Triumph Sprint
Moto Guzzi Le Mans III 850 Stucchi
Honda V Twin Fastrak hustler

Offline Brett

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 21:40 »
Those taps are the same deal and also have metal levers ... if you simply must have black taps then Joe at Eurotrash has them for less money and his shipping costs are both cheaper and quicker..  but is your dough.

Here are the ones with plastic levers but sadly for you not black but are $13 cheaper..
https://www.eurojamb.com/moto-guzzi-bmw-triumph-petcock-set-by-omg-750-850-900-1000-pl-p-1737.html

If you simply must have the black taps then here ya go again cheaper than the other shark. but they do have metal levers and are for and aft in directions...
https://www.eurojamb.com/bmw-moto-guzzi-triumph-petcock-set-750-850-900-1000-black-p-2473.html
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 22:57 by Brett »

Offline Brett

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 21:48 »
That's strange. Last time I bought a pair of those taps (for my Benelli) they came in left and right versions with both handles pointing the same direction for off.

That was a few years ago. Maybe they've cut costs and just make the one type now.
Cam if you have a spare set then I will take them. Am guessing they are most likely Paioli's and not the OMG copies.

Speaking with Joe who deals direct with OMG he tells me that it seems these days they only make one valve... to keep costs down.. he has asked for other way but will cost more to make as they have to retool..........Italians so makes sense. Its the left tap that is the problem child

Offline AndyW

• Adelaide
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 22:57 »
Some good research there: thanks Brett
'71 TR6 Tiger, '73 X-75, '73 3C, '74 3C, '75 SF2, '75 850T3 Cal, '75 T160V, '78 Mirage, '80 Darmah, '82 TR7/T, '83 Tenere, '97 XRV750, 2017 MV F3 (Ago edition)

Offline Davo

• West of the Rabbit Proof Fence
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 02:10 »
Those taps are the same deal and also have metal levers ... if you simply must have black taps then Joe at Eurotrash has them for less money and his shipping costs are both cheaper and quicker..  but is your dough.

Nah, just showing that sided taps are still available, somewhere. I have the cubes on my tank.
1976 3CL Redaxed
Triumph Sprint
Moto Guzzi Le Mans III 850 Stucchi
Honda V Twin Fastrak hustler

Offline Dellortoman

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 02:57 »
Cam if you have a spare set then I will take them. Am guessing they are most likely Paioli's and not the OMG copies.

Now I know why they're called OMG  :o - I don't even get a say in whether I keep them or not!
I'll keep it in mind for future purchases that you have carte blanche to help yourself to my spares stash   ;D

As it happens, I only bought one pair and they are now on the Benelli. Aside from that, you're correct in that they're probably not OMG, but a similar aftermarket product. I can't see a brand name on them but they have alloy handles. There may be a maker's ID on the back of them but I can't be arsed pulling them off to have a look. I don't recall where I got them, probably Bevelheaven or Stein Dinse.

The point I was making that it's not necessary to modify taps because there are suppliers who do sell left/right fuel taps for reasonable money. But if you already have the taps in your hand then it makes sense to do what you did, especially as you have the perfect machine tool to do it.

The salient message for others is to check with the supplier before you hit the "buy" button.

Brett, the easier fix for your tap would have been to angle the left mirror down so you can see the tap in the mirror, then turn it off  ;)

Offline Brett

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 10:09 »
Cam you most likely have BAP's if they have allow handles.. they are the ones which have the dreaded old mans desease... low flow.. OK for bikes with Dell's as the float bowl is kind of large but when you start playing with Keihin's etc with smaller bowls you need more flow.

Like I say prefer to have all the bikes with the taps set the same.. conrods are expensive... gotta say its amazing how many people dont bother to turn off their fuel... but I prefer not to gamble with fate.

Yeh right I was going to help myself  :o not.  sorry it came out that way.. twas early hours this morning after a few glasses of Poitin last night when I got back from the CIMMA meeting on the RGS.. had to make up for not drinking at the meeting ( well I did have a couple of ciders ) maybe that is why the trip home seemed to be way quicker... even in the rain.

Offline Dellortoman

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 00:10 »
It's ok Brett. I wasn't offended by the prospect of you ransacking my spare parts, just amused at the way you said it :D
You're welcome to poke around in my shed next time you're in Tassie. Not that you'll find much of value.

Yeah, the Benelli has 3 little (28mm) non-pumper square slide Dellortos on it, and it's not a hairy-chested tarmac ripper, so I don't think flow rate is an issue. Well, the bike runs OK at least, not that it spends a lot of time at WOT.

Actually, standard spec for that bike is 26mm carbs, but mine has 28mm for some reason that nobody has been able to explain. I know the history of the bike and I'm the 3rd owner. Neither of the previous owners fitted the bigger carbs so it must have been the factory or the Aussie dealer. Nobody on the Benelli forum has heard of another example with 28mm Dells from the factory so it remains a mystery.

Offline 120 jota

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 09:00 »
You can open out the ports in those BAP taps. My standard BAP taps flowed at two and a half minutes for 1 litre of fuel which made for starvation at high revs using 36mm mikunis. I drilled out the internal ports to three and a half mm and opened the outlet out to 4mm.Flow increased to 60 seconds for 1 litre and doesn`t starve at the top end now.