Author Topic: Alpino side panels  (Read 345 times)

Offline Desmodave

Alpino side panels
« on: May 10, 2017, 17:31 »
As the subject says, looking for a l/h and r/h side panel with undamaged mounting posts please, I have a couple but unfortunately each has a snapped post, paint condition not an issue.
Thanks, Dave.

Offline CLEMTOG

Re: Alpino side panels
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 19:12 »
turn  new mounting posts from aluminium, and then bond them to the inside, or drill and tap them and bolt them from the outside, maybe with countersunk screws in cup washers.
CLEM
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 16:11 by CLEMTOG »

Offline Desmodave

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 19:53 »
Now why didn't I think of that CLEM !! I'll do just that, there's probably enough material, as you say, to bolt from the outside with a countersink which will fill and can be painted over. I might just make 4 posts and replace the existing plastic ones which will no doubt snap just after I've got them painted !! Great suggestion, thanks...Dave.

Online Cosi

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 21:35 »
If they are snapped off at the base of the post you can use glass and resin to reattach them, ive fixed a few and none have broken again, screw through the cover is ugly...
Hastings Point 2489 Australia

Offline Desmodave

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 21:59 »
They have snapped off at the base but are missing (I bought a project bike), if I secure from the front my thoughts were to conceal the head of the countersunk screw with filler prior to painting, granted it could flex and crack but I'd also make the base of the post wide so plenty of surface area for bonding...from what you're saying sounds like bonding alone might work, failing some used panels turning up I guess I need to experiment...thanks for the input Cosi.

Offline Andy J

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 22:24 »
If the repair doesn't work I may have a set somewhere.

Offline Desmodave

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 22:28 »
Thanks Andy, happy to buy them off you if don't need them...Dave.

Offline CLEMTOG

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 10:01 »
The Mirage TS had this set up as standard and the screws were countersunk but installed in plastic cup washers, which are quite hard to find, so my son David turned some up for me, I didn't want brass, chrome, stainless or white plastic, so hand made black plastic ones it was.

visible screws where they were not installed as factory can look a bit odd, but personally, I like to see that a mod has been done as a long term improvement and rescue of an otherwise duff component, so ugly? maybe not functional? certainly is.Lost side panels?
 bloody nuisance
ARE YOU READING THIS CHRIS THE PISS (LYTHAM ST ANNES) ?

CLEM

Offline Jeremy Wilton

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 12:04 »
Yes - have a pair if necessary

Offline Chappo

• NSW Australia
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 15:16 »
installed in plastic cup washers, which are quite hard to find

Hi Clem, I bought plastic cup washers from a go-kart place. Not sure if it is the same type you are talking about.

There's different colours and sizes listed on this website:
http://karts.com.au/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=155_158

Cheers.

Offline CLEMTOG

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 16:16 »
very interesting, and would certainly have done the job, shame the supplier is in Aus, a bit costly and slow, but at least available.
CLEM

Offline Andy J

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 22:10 »
Unfortunately all mine are missing a peg too! Looks like I will be looking for some decent glue as well! :(