Author Topic: Key wanted  (Read 654 times)

Offline Schurminater

Key wanted
« on: March 19, 2017, 15:42 »
Hi to everyone,

Would anybody happen to have a, or any spare key (s) knocking about for one of the stainless steel fuel tank filler caps? (Jota type).......i don't know if they are numbered or all the same ?

After stripping and cleaning mine up yesterday it would be nice to have a key for it.

Thanks

Steve

Offline LJ

Re: Key wanted
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 16:33 »
Motalia did do them, numbered I recall.
1986 RGA Jota Sprint             
1973 750GT              
1971  750SF 
1970 Moto Guzzi V7 Special            

I was born to make mistakes,not to fake perfection

Reggie3cl

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 17:15 »
Sadly they're down to their last one...

Offline CLEMTOG

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 19:03 »
there are 0nly about ten numbers, so it wont take long to find one at persay AGM, Baskerville etc
CLEM

Offline Brett

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 19:48 »
I can cut you a copy of mine.. if then it dont work just pull the lock and swap around / remove the wafer or wafers in question which are causing the issue.. hell man just take it apart remove all the wafers put back together and presto any coin can then be used to open it but will still look the business.
Sitting on the fence 120 or 180 that is the question ?

Offline Schurminater

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 08:33 »
Thanks for the info guys. (thumbup) Motalia don't seem to list them.

Brett,i like your idea of matching the key up especially if there is as Clem says only ten numbers,i am up for that challenge.

if you are happy to cut me a copy that would be most appreciated, I will obviously reimburse you of costs. (thumbup)

Cheers guys.

Steve

Offline CLEMTOG

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 09:02 »
you cant be far from me Steve, how about a meet?
I can bring about four keys? you never know your luck till you try it.
CLEM
ps home location TN147LS

Offline John lord

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 09:07 »
any proper locksmiths will cut you a key , for a petrol tank , but I say proper locksmith that is ,

Offline CLEMTOG

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 16:12 »
a pub a few miles away from here has been closed for some time, and was recently refurbed and reopened, the landlord could not unlock the Victorian floor mounted safe, massive iron thing with scrollwork, big brass handles and double doors, almost like a wardrobe, nor could two local locksmiths, who both charged for their wasted time.

It was removed and came into the position of someone nameless of not mentioned area (wasn't me!) who is a scrap man (well looks like me, but still no, its not)

"Dennis" opened it with little difficulty and zero damage and maybe for the first time in 30 years, but alas there was nothing of value inside saving for a couple of very nice bossed copper serving plates which were a bit green.

I hasten to add that the two locksmiths were under 30 and "Dennis" (might not be his real name) is 78.

The tools used? a bent piece of 1/16th gas welding rod and a bent piece of 1/8th ditto, oh yeah and quite a lot of spray 3 in 1 oil. the rods had to be heated to cherry and bent as tight as possible, then hardened a little, hence how I know about this, about what? don't know what you are talking about, stop waffling, no idea mate, never heard of the place, gave up welding years ago.
CLEM
CLEM

Offline Schurminater

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 22:20 »
Nice story Clem....... :).....So I don't need a locksmith I need a Welder  :D or a welding Locksmith, not many of those in the Thomson Local i bet.

Yes we are very close Clem,I think a meet up would be a marvelous idea and if i bring over my Fuel cap we can recreate the opening safe scene (thumbup)......not that you had anything to do with it :D

Let me know when suits.

Cheers

Steve

Offline CLEMTOG

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 08:44 »
since I am effectively retired almost anytime other than when something is pre arranged, trip out, dentist, that sort of thing, or better than that..............

how about a trip up to Motalia near Norwich? its 140 miles of reasonable riding, and I haven't seen the fungus faced old git for years, I usually plan this to arrive at Lunchtime (12-30/13-00) and pick up fish and chips a mile or two before so that we can all have a good lunch, then do the "play with Lav's" thing and back for early evening, its about 3 hours from here so 0900/0930 is a good start point, he will very likely allow you to fiddle with all the keys so as to get the right one, which I have no doubt will be the very last one of that type on the entire planet!!! so best get in quick, any time this decade should do it!
CLEM

01959 532316
07778 018464
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 08:49 by CLEMTOG »

Offline Laverda SF

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 01:15 »
Why even use a Key - Use a HD toggle Ignition switch and fuck the Lucus Prince of Darkness Ignition SX.

You can always hide a second Ignition Toggle Switch somewhere and fuck the Gas Cap.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 01:20 by Laverda SF »

Offline CLEMTOG

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 09:32 »
the ignition slot on triples is not Lucas, and on twins isn't it Bosch?

but listen chaps......
we are all getting this wrong, what is sought here is a key for a fuel tank cap, I misread that and thought it was an ignition key, they are both very different, and the seat lock key is different again, so we have run away at a tangent and were about to get it wrong, Motalia has the keys because they were also used on Suzuki's, but they are for the ignition switch, I have looked and I only have one fuel cap key, I might even have the cap that it fits, but cant recall, I removed  it years ago, and fitted a non locking type, because I found it a total PIA. In India it is common on Enfields (mostly) to have key operated locking fuel taps for obvious reasons, but that doesn't stop tea leaves removing the entire fuel tank and taking it with them!

Laverda's are notoriously easy to steal, get started and ride away on, especially 180's, never mind 20 quids worth of fuel!, the steering lock is a big help, but again can be easily broken just by sitting on the bike and straightening the bars with your foot, I have done it twice, once on TOG, when I left it overnight and Taxied home, returning the following day without keys, and I am not posting the method of enabling the electrics here, but that is extremely simple, and another on a 1200 that I bought as a parts bike and the key had been lost decades earlier, both time twas easy.heavy chains to lock the thing to something solid is a must.
CLEM

Offline Schurminater

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 21:40 »
Ahh.....Mmm i was wondering how we had moved onto ignition switches  (scratch) :D

Yes its a fuel cap key i was after,not as important i know but if i have a lock its nice to have a key for it too.

On the list of essential jobs it can wait for now there are other more pressing jobs in hand but i will track one down before the Summer sun has set  (sunny) that's UK Sunshine by the way, which is as it seems as rare as a fuel cap key  (thumbup)

Thanks for the offer of the road trip Clem,i'm sure it would be a blast..........I will keep an eye out for a window of opportunity  (thumbup)

Steve