LaverdaForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: eccentrics  (Read 2922 times)

henry

• bottom left hand corner of germany
eccentrics
« on: September 25, 2013, 18:51 »

here's one:

Lieutenant Colonel John Malcolm Thorpe Fleming "Jack" Churchill, DSO & Bar, MC & Bar (16 September 1906 – 8 March 1996), nicknamed Fighting Jack Churchill and Mad Jack, was a British soldier who fought throughout the Second World War armed with a longbow, and a Scottish broadsword. He is known for the motto "any officer who goes into action without his sword is improperly dressed."

although, in close combat, i can well imagine a broadsword could be quite effective (and doubtless put the breeze up the enemy) - not so sure about the bow's usefulness
“in a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." george orwell

Harry Lime

Re: eccentrics
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 19:39 »

although, in close combat, i can well imagine a broadsword could be quite effective (and doubtless put the breeze up the enemy) - not so sure about the bow's usefulness

I'm not going to rise to this piece of obvious bait........

Oh, all right then.

One longbow. Bu99er all use - no supply of arrows and only one inaccurate stick.

Thought maybe as effective as a squaddie with a poorly made gun, no training and 12 bullets?

Ulysses S. Grant, during the American Civil War, bemoaned his infantry's crap weapons and lack of training, saying he'd "rather have two hundred trained bowmen".

Interesting...

Eccentrics? I don't have his name to hand, but there was an English squire who was obliged (in order to keep his land) to turn up and fight for Edward I against the Scots (Falkirk, I believe - Hi Bob!).

He showed up with his bow, and one arrow. Which he duly shot at the Scots, and then went home.

He'd read the small print, eh?

H. (Who has to go and collect his season's trophies (note the plural...) apparently, some time next week :-)  )

H. Lime

henry

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 19:50 »

harry, please, there was no intention of baiting anyone, honest.

Ulysses S. Grant fought against massed formations similar to wellington so bowmen certainly would have been effective, but today everyone fights in pairs
“in a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." george orwell

Terry Dymond

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 23:04 »

Typical upperclass twit, took a sword to a gun fight :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
RGS1000 (Yellow Peril) Eng No 1868
Adelaide Hills
South Australia

bob

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 23:39 »

I used to shoot the longbow and although I've been a longbow enthusiast for many years I would have to concede by WW2 it's efficacy had been overshadowed by automatic weapons! Mind you, you wouldn't want to be hit by an arrow from one.

Davo

• West of the Rabbit Proof Fence
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 02:13 »

I think Rule 303 had outlawed the longbow many decades earlier  :o
1976 3CL Redaxed
Triumph Sprint
Moto Guzzi Le Mans III 850 Stucchi
Honda V Twin Fastrak hustler

Morizzi

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 03:31 »

Interesting. He spent the war serving in a variety of Commando units.

Weapons are tools. Each has advantages and disadvantages. At least a long bow is quiet and would be able to nullify a sentry at a short distance. Unlike the movies, where they turn down the sound, it is almost impossible to sneak up on a sentry and use a knife without them being alerted. I´ve even seen movies where the infiltrators are silently running over pebbles.  :laugh:

I served with a number of colleagues who were hell bent on being ´different.´

The sword isn´t such a disadvantage. He was relatively senior for the groups he worked in. In a previous life I was a section commander for a few years. I had 15 guys and 4 sub groups to control. I seldom got to fire my own weapon as I was too busy trying to focus theirs. I mainly carried tracer rounds. If I couldn´t accurately describe where I wanted a certain group to concentrate on then I could use tracer to guide them. Main problem with tracer was it could be traced back to me.  :o It was a last resort.  :P

100 rounds of 303¨ would be in the vicinity of 3kg as that is he weight of a 100 round linked belt of 7.62 x 51 NATO (308). We had weapons that could spit out 200rpm for 2 minutes before the barrel had to be changed. Had 2 of those in the section so there is 12kg gone in 2 minutes from just one so 24kg total not to mention all the other guys pinging off too.

One of the reasons I´m a fan of 5.56 x 45. Weighs half as much so you can carry twice as many doses of discouragement.  :laugh: A sword would also never misfire and its weight would be negligible in comparison. I imagine he´d be waving it around and yelling fire control orders. His weapons would be the men around him.

We had silenced sterlings instead of bows. Not bad when the suppressors were new but it didn´ take long for the noise to increase. Far from silent anyway as they are a blow back action but still only good for 50 metres or so due to the suppressor.  Can´t really use suppressors on supersonic rounds. They still make a crack as they go by above the sound barrier.

Back to the eccentrics.

Rod
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 10:34 by Alpino »

Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 03:46 »

Interesting. He spent the war serving in a variety of Commando units.
Can´t really use suppressors on supersonic rounds. They still make a crack as they go by above the sound barrier.

Suppressors on high powered sniper rifles work OK in Hollywood movies.  ::)

Terry Dymond

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 04:34 »

Maybe the tongue in my cheek wasn't prominent enough ;)
RGS1000 (Yellow Peril) Eng No 1868
Adelaide Hills
South Australia

drikko

• Brisvegas
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 06:43 »

Suppressors on high powered sniper rifles work OK in Hollywood movies.  ::)

The best thing about the Hollywood movies is only the baddies get deaded....
Laverda RGS '84
BMW K1100 RS '97
Breville Sandwich Maker

DISCLAIMER:- Anything I say may have been when I was sober so please don't take it personally.
'Bigamy is having one wife/husband too many. Monogamy is the same.' Oscar Wilde

Romeo.D

• Jota Croatia
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 17:01 »

Bow is silent, can be very useful if you dont wont to be detectet.

henry

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 23:57 »

Bow is silent, can be very useful if you dont wont to be detectet.

not really, it makes quite a thwack as the string returns, but it's much quieter than a crossbow

sonicboom500

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 12:15 »

Arrows also travel slowly enough to pass through the multilayer woven kevlar style vests.

Compound bows can be made very quiet.

DoC!

• Bring 'em back! Lytham St. Annes Lancashire UK
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 12:50 »

Laura Croft loves her longbow.  ::)

Personally I liked the WW2 German Krummlauf (bent barrel) attachment  on an STG 44 assault rifle that could fire around corners. The one with the 30 degree bend had a lifespan of around 300 rounds, but they made them with 45, 60 and 90 deg bends too, but with an even more limited barrel lifespan due to the stresses involved.
Ace to be able to fire undetected though. German technology eh!
Cheers
DoC!
2x Red Laverda Jota 120 1982, Red RGS 120 1984, Black (and gold) Corsa 120 1984, Blue Series 2 572cc Atlas. Wee Red 124cc Uno.
Black Honda Blackbird 1200.

BEER: Helping ugly people have sex since 1892! - including me :)

julian

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 13:30 »

I watched a series of educational documentaries the other day and they showed how a well trained and super fit commando could wipe out whole battalions of soldiers, just armed with a simple bow and arrow and a big knife!

Just look out for the eucational commando videos featuring professor John Rambo.

Regards,
Julian 
If it can't be done, It's worth trying!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up