Author Topic: Getting old  (Read 100392 times)

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
Re: Getting old
« Reply #525 on: February 07, 2018, 05:04 »
Hairy face, tiny feet  :laugh:

:laugh: I said Hipster, not Hamster!
The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle there’s no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.

Offline harpmeister

« Reply #526 on: February 07, 2018, 08:12 »
Getting OLDER isn't that bad, just turned 60 the other day and one of the presents from the other half was a four day top of the range, open all access set of tickets for Goodwood in July with accommodation only two miles from the event.

Offline Legs

« Reply #527 on: February 07, 2018, 10:35 »
Ha! Just got back from a long and sweaty day on the fire-ground and this talk of hipsters has lifted my spirits :D.
Jam jars, single source coffee, man buns and Ned Kelly beards, just love 'em. And from the 'Peninsular' no less used to live on Hudson Parade back a few decades ago, suppose Avalon has changed over the years.
Welcome TC and remember, all hipsters must hang. ;)

Offline TC

« Reply #528 on: February 07, 2018, 10:53 »
Ha! Just got back from a long and sweaty day on the fire-ground and this talk of hipsters has lifted my spirits :D.
Jam jars, single source coffee, man buns and Ned Kelly beards, just love 'em. And from the 'Peninsular' no less used to live on Hudson Parade back a few decades ago, suppose Avalon has changed over the years.
Welcome TC and remember, all hipsters must hang. ;)

Yes its defiantly no longer the same around here, Franklins is now woolworths and you cant get a park to save your life, place is full of black 4WD's and people doing exercise classes in between drinking single source coffees, the surf club got knocked down and rebuilt only 3 times the size and yes they serve ss coffee in there too... and the number of signs telling you what to do and how to drive.. sorry you seamed to have touched on a nerve..
T
Most of that will polish out...

74 3c
74 BMW R90S

Offline TC

« Reply #529 on: February 07, 2018, 11:01 »
As an afterthought, just today I witnessed a man in a white jeep with some sort of personal trainer sign on the door actually take a drink out of a jam jar at the lights in Newport!...
You just cant make that shit up
  ??? ???
Most of that will polish out...

74 3c
74 BMW R90S

Offline chrisk

« Reply #530 on: February 07, 2018, 18:45 »
Spied one with all the clothing, beard blowing in the wind on a Royal Enfield, wearing an old jockey style helmet .... no jam jar though. If it idled at the lights at 500rpm, I reckon he changed up at 700rpm ....... priceless. The thing is, I'm in Brisbane, the thought of cords, flannelette shirt and thirty makes me sweat just looking at them
The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle there’s no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.

Offline Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #531 on: February 07, 2018, 21:04 »
I'm obviously a bogan. I had to google single source coffee to work out WTE you guys were on about.
Didn't know jam jars were a thing to drink from either.

As for getting old, I went to the doc the other day for another jab of cortisone in my shoulder. I was wearing a flannel shirt, Hard Yakka work shorts and steel toe boots with dust all over them. She said I looked like a builder's labourer from the 70s.

Offline chrisk

« Reply #532 on: February 08, 2018, 02:23 »
I'm obviously a bogan. I had to google single source coffee to work out WTE you guys were on about.
Didn't know jam jars were a thing to drink from either.

As for getting old, I went to the doc the other day for another jab of cortisone in my shoulder. I was wearing a flannel shirt, Hard Yakka work shorts and steel toe boots with dust all over them. She said I looked like a builder's labourer from the 70s.

Doing your finest Paul Hogan impersonation Cam?

Offline Davo

• West of the Rabbit Proof Fence
« Reply #533 on: February 08, 2018, 06:43 »
Spied one with all the clothing, beard blowing in the wind on a Royal Enfield, wearing an old jockey style helmet .... no jam jar though. If it idled at the lights at 500rpm, I reckon he changed up at 700rpm ....... priceless. The thing is, I'm in Brisbane, the thought of cords, flannelette shirt and thirty makes me sweat just looking at them

Went for a track day organised by one of my mates a few years back, rolled up on the 81 Le Mans. Next bloke in was riding a RE and they all had a go at me as they reckoned I no longer would be riding the oldest bike. Bloody idiots. I pointed out the modern accoutrements fitted to the thing, not least of which were a kmh speedo and modern disc brakes. Yep, I was still riding the oldest bike and still ran rings around most of em.
1976 3CL Redaxed
Triumph Sprint
Moto Guzzi Le Mans III 850 Stucchi
Honda V Twin Fastrak hustler

Offline nick7

« Reply #534 on: February 09, 2018, 00:36 »
Am on 1215 from charing x to home..guess home after cycling from station at about 1.15.am Am getting train back into London at 630am as must be on squash court at 8am...anyway  Jota always a symbol  of  ..well, individuality for me..quite loud  and orange and outrageous in the 70s. Took my new fab digital micrometer  in to the office to show my female assistant how to measure a shim..really! 

Offline Vince

« Reply #535 on: February 09, 2018, 00:44 »
That doesn't sound that safe, measuring a shim Aaa.

Offline Andy

« Reply #536 on: February 09, 2018, 01:49 »
I went to a "Seventies" party the other weekend. Didn't realise it was fancy dress. Won first prize...
'84 RGS and loving it
(might have to sell the old honda...)

Offline chrisk

« Reply #537 on: February 09, 2018, 01:59 »
Took my new fab digital micrometer  in to the office to show my female assistant how to measure a shim..really!

Measuring a 'shim' is easy .......... tape measure for height without stilletoes, around chest for bust size, and a shorter tape measure for length and girth of dick. Make sure you get approval, before attempting.  ;)

Offline Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #538 on: February 09, 2018, 06:02 »
Bloody hell, I must be getting old. I didn't know "shim" was a slang term for an androgynous looking person, or a shemale.

Another reminder of how old I am is that I expect people to behave reasonably and politely. I don't think the so called "millennials" today have any clue about general courtesy or giving a shit about anyone other than themselves. Perhaps I'm just a grumpy old man.

As an example of my grumpiness ...  I was at the supermarket half an hour ago. While I was perusing the offerings on the meat shelves, I noticed a little kid who was busy poking his finger through the cling-film on the pre-packed trays of mince. Presuming that the kid's 30-something year old hipster-looking dad hadn't seen what the brat was doing, I called his attention to it. He turned to me and said "what are you telling me for, it's not my job to fix it", and did nothing to stop the kid. WTF  :o

Now, I'm a calm and laid back sort of bloke, but I felt like punching the stupid pus-brained, millennial, hipster, fuckwit, oxygen thief in the face, then kicking his kid's arse all around the supermarket. And I could have because even though he was half my age he was a scrawny little fucker. But I didn't. I reckon if I'd have visited any kind of physical retribution on him or the brat, he would have screamed blue murder and been on the phone to the police and his lawyer. What a tosser.

Online SimonR501

• Lympne, Kent, UK
    • Simons Flickr site
« Reply #539 on: February 09, 2018, 09:08 »
Yep! definitely getting older Cam!

I had my own fuckwitt observation moment this morning!
Whilst driving to work,  I judged the moment perfectly to get around a parked car and back in again so I didn't inconvenience a driver coming the other way. Unlike the dickhead behind me who caused the other car to swerve off the road to avoid a head-on smash with said dickhead.

I am going to get a Dashcam (front and rear looking)!
At least if there is a smash I can be a witness to get these people prosecuted.
Laverda Jota 120 - 1982.
LG F1495BDA Direct Drive Washing Machine.
Black & Decker GLC3630L20 36v Cordless Telescopic Grass Trimmer.
SimonR501 Flickr Photos.http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonr501