Author Topic: Getting old  (Read 100830 times)

Offline LaverdaIan

Re: Getting old
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013, 13:36 »
Right... reply one is that my back is killing me tonight because I've spent 10 hours hovering over the Monty rebuilding the motor, eliminating a gear box issue, and firing it to make sure it's good to go..and it is YAHOO.. :P, but I still fuc*ing hurt.. >:(

reply two is about my daughter in law who was diagnosed 2 days ago with a 'compound cyst' on one of her ovaries..massive pain etc...and despite being prepped for an op yesterday was set aside overnight (couple of car accidents late in the day). Fair enough, but today the buggers tried to say that it was Saturday, and as the pain meds "seemed to be working" suggested she go home.. :o   I advised my young stepson to have her continue to occupy the bed.."they'll need it soon enough.. ;)" and sure enough, into theatre @ 6.30.. Pissed off bit is that the same symptoms reared their ugly head 2 years ago on Boxing Day and the Ambos and Hossie staff figured it was excess 'consumption' and sent her home... :(
Fukn arrogant medical so-called professionals.. I actually have a great GP, and wish I could share him with all my friends, but this kind of s**t bugs me big time..

8)

Offline DoC!

• Bring 'em back! Lytham St. Annes Lancashire UK
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2013, 13:48 »
People tell me they hate getting old. I tell them it is far better than the alternative.

WTF is that? Getting young!

Where's the hell is Deborah Ann Woll when you need her...... (needs a bit of thought process there chaps, or Googling).  >:D
2x Red Laverda Jota 120 1982, Red RGS 120 1984, Black (and gold) Corsa 120 1984, Blue Series 2 572cc Atlas. Wee Red 124cc Uno. Another 124cc Uno in boxes.
Black Honda Blackbird 1100.

BEER: Helping ugly people like Cosi have sex since 1892! :)

Offline padlock

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2013, 14:10 »
It's not often I can contribute something worthwhile so I'll grab this opportunity. As most of you know I'm a tree surgeon, no where near as old as most of you lot but getting on in years for the job I do. I hurt everyday with my job( never mind the ribs) but what I've found over the years that if you stop doing physical stuff you will hurt even more, your body gets used to a certain amount of physical abuse and puts up with it as long as you carry on subjecting it to said abuse. Stop doing so and your body becomes used to a much lower level of pain, then when you do try to revisit your youth it fuckin hurts. Hence why I still climb tress, I still skateboard, I still ride bikes and I still try to beat my son at anything physical. You can't help getting old but you can sure as shit beat the advancing years with a big stick until you can't win. On the subject of pain you shouldn't have.... Go get it checked out as soon as, I have a few problems associated with my job and age but with the right medication I'm still going.

Fff
If your going through hell, keep going.

Offline DoC!

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2013, 17:15 »
You think ribs fecking hurt Padders!
Appreciate the jobs you do but you ought to try a twisted testicle malarkey for a bit of pain to keep you awake at night and a grumpy old sod during the days.
It is deemed as a medical emergency and on a pain scale of 1 to 10 it ranks as a reasonably 12 in my view for most of the time, without medication.

Two operations over the years have been OK but of late the internals have failed again so it is time to call in the surgeons.
I don't at my age see how I could want to be a Dad again so best to have the bugger out and be done with it. I have one left as spare anyhow.
As I said, pain increases in old age, so best try to reduce it while the medical insurance will still pay.
That gonad is a gonner......hurtful twat it is.
DoC! 
2x Red Laverda Jota 120 1982, Red RGS 120 1984, Black (and gold) Corsa 120 1984, Blue Series 2 572cc Atlas. Wee Red 124cc Uno. Another 124cc Uno in boxes.

Offline padlock

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2013, 17:33 »
Appreciate the jobs you do but you ought to try a twisted testicle malarkey for a bit of pain to keep you awake at night and a grumpy old sod during the days.
It is deemed as a medical emergency and on a pain scale of 1 to 10 it ranks as a reasonably 12 in my view for most of the time, without medication.

Two operations over the years have been OK but of late the internals have failed again so it is time to call in the surgeons.
I don't at my age see how I could want to be a Dad again so best to have the bugger out and be done with it. I have one left as spare anyhow.
As I said, pain increases in old age, so best try to reduce it while the medical insurance will still pay.
That gonad is a gonner......hurtful twat it is.
DoC! 

OW :o :o :o :o :o :o
If your going through hell, keep going.

Offline John B

• South Lincolnshire England
    • Druids MCC
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2013, 17:40 »
as we are getting into my pain dad is bigger territory

try a fistula that makes a break for it from the small intestine then popping into the bladder - I was feeling pretty crook all day then about 7pm goes for a piss and suddenly feeling very crook - gets wife to run me down to A&E where instead of a long wait we get rushed right in, as I flat-out collaps with the pain.

after a couple of hours getting poked and prodded they sent me home. took about 2 years to sort out but at least I got a laugh in the urinals - the look on the face of the bloke next to you, when you piss pure blood - priceless  
Sidlow 750SF2 Special
BMW R1100GS
Monster 750 (the wifes)

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2013, 19:39 »
52 this year, and physically I'm fitter than I was in my 30's. In the gym at 4.30 umtil 6.00am 5-6 days a week, been doing that for 3 years this month, that does it.

My shoulders were really fucking me up, two seperate bike get offs 30 years ago resulting in broken bones in them had caught up with me, at night I could hardly sleep. Now that the muscles are stronger, as shoulders are basically held together by muscle and tendon shit, ... no pain. I'd put up with that pain for about ten years ...... and at times couldn't imagine what I'd be like at 70.

I've gone from 110kgs to a steady 85 -86kg, considering the beer and wine consumption, I'm happy with that.

My concern about getting older now is my mental state ........ "what was I going to do", or "where did I put that" are phrases I use more often these days ...  ??? What was I talking about?

The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle there’s no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.

Offline strike750

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2013, 21:42 »
couldn,t agree more with Padlock you,ve gota keep moving I suffered for years with lower back probs a chance job working with a woman who was a healer who sorted it and now I,m back working on the tools in engineering . I have been doing Tia Chi for last 6 months and it really seems to alleviate any aches I get plus when a certain young lady starts bending and twisting in front it also helps get rid of the stress  ;D

Offline SimonR501

• Lympne, Kent, UK
    • Simons Flickr site
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2013, 22:06 »
I couldn't agree more Mr Padlock!

I have done a very physical job for most of my working life, the fittest I have ever felt is when I have worked the hardest (which isn't very often). When I stop and have a break for a few days my body just switches off and I feel like shit.

I suppose you could call that old age.
Laverda Jota 120 - 1982.
LG F1495BDA Direct Drive Washing Machine.
Black & Decker GLC3630L20 36v Cordless Telescopic Grass Trimmer.
SimonR501 Flickr Photos.http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonr501

silvo

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2013, 06:14 »

Just ask David Lloyd when he got hit in the nuts by Jeff Thompson during a Test match, I think in Perth. He was hit so hard the box split and one ball got trapped outside the box. Youch

Offline Davo

• West of the Rabbit Proof Fence
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2013, 06:47 »
Just ask David Lloyd when he got hit in the nuts by Jeff Thompson during a Test match, I think in Perth. He was hit so hard the box split and one ball got trapped outside the box. Youch

74/75 series - he was so shattered by the bowling of Lillee and Thompson he never played test cricket again after the series finished. That was also the series Lord Colin "Oh dear he's hit him in the groin again" Cowdrey was recalled to replace the injured and demoralised English openers  8)
1976 3CL Redaxed
Triumph Sprint
Moto Guzzi Le Mans III 850 Stucchi
Honda V Twin Fastrak hustler

Offline Laverda Bomber

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2013, 10:05 »
Seriously!! Who the fuck would remember that??
It was more than two weeks ago!!
Laverda Bomber
Tasmania Aust (Not Transylvania or Tanzania)
1980 Moto Martin 1000 Laverda Triple
2004 Ducati SS800 Track Bike "Cicciolina"
1977 VW Kombi Campmobile

Offline DoC!

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2013, 14:48 »
I can remember Bodyline.  :o

Offline henry

• bottom left hand corner of germany
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2013, 20:50 »
It's not often I can contribute something worthwhile so I'll grab this opportunity. As most of you know I'm a tree surgeon, no where near as old as most of you lot but getting on in years for the job I do. I hurt everyday with my job( never mind the ribs) but what I've found over the years that if you stop doing physical stuff you will hurt even more, your body gets used to a certain amount of physical abuse and puts up with it as long as you carry on subjecting it to said abuse. Stop doing so and your body becomes used to a much lower level of pain, then when you do try to revisit your youth it fuckin hurts. Hence why I still climb tress, I still skateboard, I still ride bikes and I still try to beat my son at anything physical. You can't help getting old but you can sure as shit beat the advancing years with a big stick until you can't win. On the subject of pain you shouldn't have.... Go get it checked out as soon as, I have a few problems associated with my job and age but with the right medication I'm still going.

Fff

good attitude! it counts!!!
There are two sets of principles. They are the principles of power and privilege and of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege it will always be at the expense of truth and justice. Noam Chomsky

Offline Spub

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2013, 05:04 »
refreshing thread...all this bagging on doctors, and no one is touching the legal profession....or is that being saved for desert?
1982 Laverda Jota 180 #7807;  1977 Ducati 900SS,1993 Moto Guzzi Daytona; 2010 KTM Adventure 990; 74 Laverda SFC #17188, 1983 Moto Morini 500 SEI V Sport

Pasadena, California, Left Coast, US of A