Author Topic: Redax Laverda  (Read 26581 times)

Offline Davo

• West of the Rabbit Proof Fence
Re: Redax Laverda
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2017, 03:37 »
Yes. I was thinking of a 6-header air-cooled Laverda triple. But you make a good point. It could get a little warm with exhaust ports all over the place. Liquid cooling would help, but in that case a new set of liquid cooled barrels would be sensible too. Where do you stop? May as well go and buy a Benelli TNT engine.

I do often wonder how far you can modify the engine, frame, suspension, wheels, brakes, seat, electrics etc and still call it a Laverda.

Mind you, I also greatly appreciate the work done by Red et al to manufacture replacement parts to modern specification.
1976 3CL Redaxed
Triumph Sprint
Moto Guzzi Le Mans III 850 Stucchi
Honda V Twin Fastrak hustler

Offline Laverdalothar

« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2017, 08:48 »
I do often wonder how far you can modify the engine, frame, suspension, wheels, brakes, seat, electrics etc and still call it a Laverda.

Mind you, I also greatly appreciate the work done by Red et al to manufacture replacement parts to modern specification.

yeah - I am also pulled in two directions here... I love to see what Red does and how far he has already improved these engines. I mean, we speak about almost doubling the power and increasing it at least 10 - 15% beyond what the factory was able to do. That is impressive, especially as he does not have the resources the factory had and is still not using real modern technologies like FI or different head setups etc. I still regard it as "classical tuning".

For the suspension: What has really been changed? shocks, fork internals, some beefing here and there. Is a 911 SC Porsche no Porsche anymore just because it has Koni suspension?
750 SF(0) 1971 #9934 *sold*
1000 SFC Classic 1989 #3367 *sold*
1000 SFC 1985 #2934 currently under restoration
1000 SFC Preproduction bike 1985 #0001 *sold*
1200 Jota 1981 #7474
750 S-Formula 2000 #1602
1000 Motoplast - currently under construction

Offline Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2017, 15:41 »
yeah - I am also pulled in two directions here... I love to see what Red does and how far he has already improved these engines. I mean, we speak about almost doubling the power and increasing it at least 10 - 15% beyond what the factory was able to do. That is impressive, especially as he does not have the resources the factory had and is still not using real modern technologies like FI or different head setups etc. I still regard it as "classical tuning".

Yep. Red's work is pretty impressive. I don't imagine he'll ever recover his R&D costs by selling parts and services. The only conclusion I can draw is that he does it for love rather than money. There's no explaining some peoples' strange obsessions.  :D

For the suspension: What has really been changed? shocks, fork internals, some beefing here and there. Is a 911 SC Porsche no Porsche anymore just because it has Koni suspension?

Well, with Red's bikes, everything has changed. He's thrown the whole lot out and started with a clean slate. That clean slate was filled with Scorch frames, modern suspension and brakes. I suppose one could take the view that he's departed from the original bikes and created something new. But does it matter? From what I saw at Eastern Creek earlier this year. Peiro and Giovanni Laverda seemed to be more than happy with that.

Offline redax5

• Administrator
  • All 81's, a fine year indeed
« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2017, 00:08 »
new off of the CNC machine, Laverda 500 billet oil sump plates with a magnetic sump plug
just happen to be building a couple of 500's for customers and figured these would be a good idea
taking orders now

500 oil strainer sump plates
Redax Drilling Consultants, confirmed Laverda tragic's
near Brisbane, Australia

Offline LaverdaIan

« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2017, 07:20 »
Lovely Red.. pity I will have to spoil them with the scungy old filter set up.. ;) Not that anyone will see 'em.
Maybe Wolfgang has some new ones.. ::)
Really good idea to make simple the oil change procedure.. racing is a bitch when you have to take the whole set up off to do the de-brief..

8)

Offline nick7

« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2017, 09:09 »
As i recall those tt racing Nortons have an  Aprilla engine...dont think they can be Nortons if the heart of the beast isnt made by them?

Offline blab

« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2017, 09:17 »

How much Vincent is in the Irving Vincents?
Serbian Hot Rod

Offline Davo

« Reply #82 on: November 09, 2017, 11:30 »
How much Vincent is in the Irving Vincents?

Not much if anything, apart from the name.
1976 3CL Redaxed
Triumph Sprint

Offline Grant

« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2017, 11:45 »
Or the Zane Laverdas, or the Laverda Lynx (although it never made it into production).

Laverda%20650%20Lynx%20%201 by Grant Duguid, on Flickr
www.clublaverda.com
Check out the daily blog

Offline Davo

« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2017, 11:55 »
At least with the Scorch framed Redax bikes the heart of the beast actually was born in the Laverda factory in Breganze. It may have been stented, had valve replacements and a pacemaker fitted but ...
1976 3CL Redaxed
Triumph Sprint